Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How can I convince my wife to get a bike?
Quote | Reply
I am relocating to Switzerland in August and I wanted to get my wife a bike to go on family rides in the Alps.
When I told her I wanted to spend around 2K on a decent bike, she said she could buy a bunch of new shoes and bags with that money.
She is into sports, but more the Pilates/Spinning type.
Some advice?
Quote Reply
Re: How can I convince my wife to get a bike? [OleBCN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, the surprise factor is a NO NO.
She needs to get a pro fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take pictures while you're on your bike and show her what she's missing.

Buy a cheaper bike. You can get a road bike for much less and it doesn't sound like she'll be racing with it.

Or maybe she's just not into it so don't force it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How can I convince my wife to get a bike? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Define.... "family rides?"

If you have the money, and 2k is not breaking your bank, I say, yeah, get her a nicer frameset and wheels, who cares if she's not going to race. A badass bike is fun to ride, period. She'll probably be blown away by how much better a nicer bike feels compared to whatever she rode as a kid.

But...agree, don't push the issue. Some people just hate riding; it's terrifying to go fast, compete with traffic, etc. Maybe rent a bike and see how that goes.

Also, my 2 cents: Be clear with her about your expectations for riding with her. Some people don't mind if you ride ahead and wait at the top, others get really discouraged by this. (That's why I wanted you to define "family rides!")
Quote Reply
Re: How can I convince my wife to get a bike? [mellorite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ITA, not everyone likes riding outside. I think renting a few times is a great way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like me trying to get my ex wife into scuba diving. She just wasn't into it.

My 2nd wife scuba dives and rides btw:-)
Quote Reply