Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? May 11 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about your week!
What, if anything, did you do for mother's day?
Where do you live and is anything reopening?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 11 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr TC; I hope you'll tell us about your week too.

I had what felt overall like a pretty easy week and I'm sure I needed it, so that worked well. I ran 4 times and got on the bike trainer three times. I hit some season and all-time power bests this week on the bike so I'm pleased. I realize it sounds kind of silly to say it was an easy week AND I hit power bests but that's just how it worked out! I did my long run with Dan on some trails I hadn't really been on before so that was nice too. I also did some yoga and some prehab stuff.

For mother's day we managed to surprise my mother with pre-recorded video clips that her office put together for all the moms. I convinced her husband to sneakily film her reaction and she was so surprised and pleased!

Some stuff is re-opening here in Ontario. Our town is now opening more of the park spaces and the province is also opening up the provincial parks over the next week.

This week's goals: more prehab stuff, 3 x bike, 4 x run.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 11 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a new week, Ladies.

Thanks for getting us started Dr TC. I hope you're doing well this week!

Sher, that pretty much encapsulates fuckitYOLO mode. Congrats on the PBs!

Last week's goal was, um, recovery I think? Yes, recovery from VR5. I think I've hit my wall with everything. I think I've also said that before but the overall lack of sleep, higher revving engine, anxiety over people's cavalier attitudes with our STILL increasing numbers (about 800 new cases yesterday) has piled on enough and I'm finally crashing. I had a garbage long run this morning and I'm very much in the "nothing matters anymore" zone of things. It didn't help that we couldn't see my MIL for Mother's Day, which is a tough day for me every year anyways, and I dealt with another big family health scare this past week (which thankfully is okay for now, but said family member is surrounded by a sea of positive tested people).

Our governor said that open spaces would be reopening, but schools are now officially closed through the rest of the year. And people have just gotten too bored to give a shit about self-isolating and social distancing so things are slowly ramping up inappropriately right now. Whee!

This week's goals are to START IMMD TRAINING LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO. 20 weeks out from Maryland, and I'm dubious about this whole thing getting pulled off successfully. And even if it is, I'll be amazed if my head is screwed on right up through then.

M- 11mi run. Nailed it. Well, more like it nailed me to a wall. 18mph sustained winds with 30mph gusts. Ran against concrete on the uphills. Blah.
Tu- Dry land swim practice with my team, a bunch of lifting (AGAIN! FINALLY!), and 30min eccentric cadence work on the bike outside.
W- 90min crit simulation on Zwift with my tri team. I'm gonna die. And then coach the kiddo team's workout in the PM.
Th- Dry land swim practice, lower body resistance band work, 30min easy run w/strides
F- REST DAY HOLLAAAAA
Sa- 2:45 Zwift ride with the team
Su- Yoga

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: May 11, 20 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 11 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Our governor said that open spaces would be reopening, but schools are now officially closed through the rest of the year. And people have just gotten too bored to give a shit about self-isolating and social distancing so things are slowly ramping up inappropriately right now. Whee!

People in my rural Oklahoma location, and my parents' location in Maine, are also pretty cavalier about the pandemic. I felt traumatized when I did my wal mart shopping last week. I knew there would be some people without masks but I was expecting maybe half the people to have masks, and in reality it was under 50%, with whole families of like 6 in there. Anyway, you're not alone with the anxiety there.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ay, it's the same here and I live in flippin New York. I feel like I put my life in my hands every time I go to the grocery store. I'd feel bad for the employees, and really I do. But it's also testing. Even they don't wear masks even though they are mandated. Some wear masks, but leave their noses exposed. Ugh, people are so the worst right now.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yo. I'm back.

So, I got to the "nothing matters anymore" stage a few weeks ago and took a solid 10 days off training completely. Last week was about shaking things out and getting back into things. This week, I'm "off to the races" again, as they say. I need a goal. Something that's going to happen. There's a virtual Race Across New York, where I'd put in enough running miles between now and August 15 to, well, run across NY. I think I'm signing up for it. I thrive when I have a big goal that I have to chip away at for a while, and a shiny medal doesn't hurt either. This would provide both of those things.

And here's my week:
M: ride
Tu: Run
W: Bike strength
Th: RESTRESTREST
F: Ride and swim strength
Sa: Long ride and brick run
Su: Long run.

I'm also building up the hutzpah to put on my wetsuit and try swimming upstream in the river I live right along. My husband reckons I can swim in place that way. I'm skeptical, but I think it'll make a great video for the internet, so I'm willing to try.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P.S. Worst semester ever is almost done! Just a shitton of grading and I can say so long to that steaming turd.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 11 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a special thing to do for your momma! I just played cards with her over the internet.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 11 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
P.S. Worst semester ever is almost done! Just a shitton of grading and I can say so long to that steaming turd.

I'm almost done, too - just a couple more final grades to compute.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 11 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
This week's goals are to START IMMD TRAINING LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO. 20 weeks out from Maryland, and I'm dubious about this whole thing getting pulled off successfully. And even if it is, I'll be amazed if my head is screwed on right up through then.

The announcement is official that Eagleman 70.3 is the SAME DAY as IMMD now. Not even the same weekend, the SAME DAMN DAY. A combined field of 3900 athletes that the tiny-ass town cannot even house, let alone feed, and we're all going to race at the SAME TIME? One a multi-loop course for the swim, a multi loop course for the bike, and, you guessed it, a multi-loop course for the run?

If you hear a distant scream today, that's me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wondered what that noise that woke me from my nap was...

In all seriousness though, that's effed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and to add insult to injury they probably start about the same time so you can't do both ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goal this week is not to be dumb and run too much

Things felt good!
5 swims 7500m
1 bike 63 mi
6 runs 36.25 mi

still not doing an awesome job with the healthy coping. Shooting for 6/7 good days this week because yesterday was not good, and also not be dumb and run too much

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
and to add insult to injury they probably start about the same time so you can't do both ;-)

I didn't have a choice. They were like YOU WILL NOT DO THAT, here are one of your shitty options!

- choice of 2 70.3s SIX DAYS BEFORE IMMD
- A 70.3 A WEEK AFTER
- 70.3s nowhere near me, most of which are already doubling up with the Full IM counterpart
- Defer til next year

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik.

Here in Oregon only a few parks have reopened. Counties can share their phased reopening plans this Friday for the governor to review. I suspect rural counties will open first and places like Portland, Eugene, and Salem will take a while.

I missed a few weeks of updates but I'm doing fine. I'm still doing yoga every day (two month tomorrow!) and am spending a lot of time on the trainer. My recent highlight was getting out for some easy dirt (no cars, no humans) and it was really nice to be back on my bike outside. My running is fine -- nothing notable, which is exactly how I like it.

This week I'll run, bike, yoga, lift, and continue cooking as if I have a family of five.

Happy training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw my orthopedist today. They ultrasounded my tendon. It's healing as a tendon normally does - it has some calcium deposits, which are expected (though not ideal I guess they are unavoidable). He told me to keep doing what I am doing but we can do platelet rich plasma if I want to.

Also, he was very handsome and I was disappointed to learn from online research after the appointment that he is married and has a kid. Darn.

Quote Reply