Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? Marathon Monday edition
Quote | Reply
Happy Boston marathon day! How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Marathon Monday edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik -- what an exciting race today, especially the Elite Men's finish coming down to the wire! Congrats to all our Womens who ran.

Last week was a recovery after my 70.3 and I'm really happy with how I recovered. I took a rest day, enjoyed a great yoga class, swam once, rode four times, and ran four times -- all mostly easy though I did push the pace a bit on my relay legs and did a social but long ride with my favorite riding pal.

This week it's back to the salt mines as I prepare for next month's 70.3 -- 4 swims, 4 bikes, and 4 runs plus yoga and my regular p/rehab in there somewhere.

Happy training everyone!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Marathon Monday edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Patriot's Day Ladies! Hope it was wicked awesome!

Last week's goal was to start the taper train. And hoo boy. It feels like a bomb went off in my right leg. I have NO idea where the hell this is coming from. It started Saturday on my ride when I felt like someone was pushing a thumbtack into the back of my calf muscle. I bagged it 20 miles to go. Then I bricked my run, cautiously, and it felt fine. Rode the rest of the 20 Sunday, same pain, and ran again and it was fine. There's residual stiffness/twinges in my hamstring and upper leg too. I talked to my coach about this after our run on Sunday and she immediately changed around my plan for this week, gave me strict rest/recovery instructions, and has been checking in on me. I am so, so grateful for her. I cannot imagine thinking/feeling how I did this weekend without someone that receptive and responsive to my concerns helping me through it in a safe, methodical manner. Last week gave me a bit of doubt with the faster run paces and this hiccup, but I am feeling a lot better today and ready to see how I can get through this week.

This week's goal- MORE TAPER

M- rest, and watching the Boston Marathon!
Tu- 2800yd swim with stretch cord prehab
W- 7 or 10 mile run, depending on how my leg feels, and core
Th- Trainer ride and 4mi run
F- Last IM distance swim!
Sa- either ride/run brick or run 7/10 miles, weather-dependent
Su- whatever I don't do on Saturday, and START PACKING FOR TEXAS

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Marathon Monday edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you and your coach have a plan Dr_C!

My goals were: 2 or 3 x swim, 3 x bike, 4 x run, 2 x strength and it got done. Two of my runs were in the mountains as a counterpoint to A LOT of good food and wine. There'll be a bit more of that this coming weekend as it's our anniversary and we're trying out a new-to-us place in the city.

Goals for this week:
3 x swim, 4 x bike, 4 x run, 2 x strength. This week is a cutback week before starting an 8 week build program and I'm looking ahead and wincing slightly so I'm also determined to make the most of the less intense workouts :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies!

I remain inspired by all of you. Go get some SoCal! High five Scheherezade! And Cupcake, I'm so sorry for the calf trouble, and glad that you feel like your coach can help you with it.

I hit all my goals last week, but I skipped one run because my knees started hurting. I was using the treadmill for various reasons, and increasing speed work and tempo runs. I skipped a day, slowed down, went back outside, and did some old PT exercises and the patellar pain abated. I just need to admit that I'm a slow, terrible runner and I'm only going to improve terribly slowly.

This week is an easier week before I start to build distance for a few months:

M: Rest ahhhhhhh...
Tu: Swim and run
W: Bike and strength
Th: Swim
F: Run and strength
Sa: Bike
Su: Long ride and brick

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Marathon Monday edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Anniversary, Scheherazade!

Dr_Cupcake, glad you have a plan -- enjoy your taper.

Giant Newb, I'm sure you're not a "slow, terrible runner" but even if you were, you are still running -- keep your chin up and focus on the good :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goal had been a long run; I did it on Monday on the treadmill watching Boston. I am at the tail end of the cold that started 11 days ago.

5 swims (M, T, Th, F, Su), 8275 yds
2 bikes (W, Sa), 21 mi
7 runs, 49.6 mi (two of the runs were outside which is a big deal for me)

the Saturday run was a local 5k; I ran 24:43 and was 3rd FOV. I had fun, and am in about the shape I thought I was in. This week I am running a 10k on Saturday.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 17, 19 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Marathon Monday edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks SoCal, for the encouragement. I'm currently rocking about a 12-minute mile, and I was up to about 3.5 miles for my last longer run. I still want to do a 70.3 in September, and those running stats are the thing that will sink that aspiration, so I keep trying to blow throw the beginning stages of running. I wanted to run an upcoming 5k at 10 minute miles, so I was trying to get up to that pace. But, running just doesn't work like that, even if I can do multiple miles in a pool and bike for hours. So, my new goal for that 5k is just to run it without stopping, with good form, quick as I can while in control. I think I'm just in such a beginning phase that just putting on miles and running without stopping is the focus and speed will come as my form and muscles develop. I'll get there, or I'll walk the dang half marathon at the end of the 70.3...

Dr. TC--glad you're feeling better!

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Marathon Monday edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on what your goals are for the 70.3, where you are now can totally get you to the finish line. I'm not a fast person and I've finished two; aiming for my third this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Marathon Monday edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Scheherazade (surprise, surprise) -- you can do it!
Sounds like you're focusing on all the right things -- being consistent, being patient, keeping good form, and allowing your body time to develop.

We're cheering for you and here to help.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Marathon Monday edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D'awwww, thanks! I appreciate it! No pretensions to speed here, just want to smash a 70.3 within the time limit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loads of people walk in the half IM run. Planning to do that, or to do a run/walk strategy, would be quite fine. It's also likely that you will drop that 12 min/mi pace fairly quickly.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Apr 18, 19 5:09
Re: How are you and how was your week? Marathon Monday edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, awesome news for your dd. I hope your shin splints have resolved.

Quote Reply