Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? June 8 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? June 8 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7/7 for healthy coping skills! I also biked more, which had been my other goal. :-)

I participated in my town's peaceful protest on Wednesday, which fortunately stayed peaceful. I found out after there was a nutcase (NOT a police officer) walking around with a rifle "in case anyone tried to loot anything" and telling anyone who asked that the police had hired him for "extra security." The police were aware of his presence, and it is an open-carry state. I'd have left if I'd have seen him, but fortunately everything was fine. The world feels pretty crazy right now but at least the crazy seems to be making positive changes.

My week involved
5 swims (4500 yds or something)
2 bikes (one 59 mi, one 62.25 mi)
5 runs (total of 41.8 mi)

goals this week are the same last last - keep up the healthy coping, ride more

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? June 8 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr TC. High five on the 7/7 there!

Last week was a wash for me. I wiped out during a bike ride on Monday, bumped my helmeted head, needed a few stitches, and basically spent the week doing my best mushroom impersonation (hiding in the dark and cool).

This week is so far going way better but I'm not setting any goals or putting any pressure on myself. Hoping to see some of the women on Thursday during the happy hour!
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? June 8 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no! Scheherezade! Take care of that noggin. Hope this week goes better.

(Fun fact: i never realized until way too late, like last year, that Super Mario Bros. Is literally all about plumbing. Like, the pipes everywhere, leading to underground and underwater worlds, and the mushrooms...).

I let the mood sweep me away last week, and as many of you know, I went to DC after hearing about the tear gas and rubber bullets to join the protests there. It was nutz y'all. i made a lot of FB posts about my experience. Not sure I want to write everything out again, but I'll copy one of my long tirades at the end of this post.

Regarding training, shit got a bit thrown off last week, but I was quite active. I had my Garmin on during the protesting and clocked a bunch of miles walking back and forth, and I'm getting things done inother ways. This week, I'm quarantine-ishing because of my trip, and generally hoping that I settle into a more workable routine for the summer. For training, I have a bit of a recovery week.

M: longish ride (I switched my long ride day so it fits the hub's schedule and now we do them together!)
T: Longish run plus leg strength
W: Bike vo2max (blech)
Th: Bike plus run
F: Run hill reps plus leg strength
Sa: REST!
Su: Swim strength and recovery bike

Here's my tirade:

As many of you know. I felt moved to travel to Washington, DC, for a few days in response to Trump's and Barr's decision to terrorize peaceful protesters in Lafayette Square with rubber bullets and tear gas on Monday. It was a trip rich with experiences and inspiration, and I don't think I'm going to get all my thoughts out at once. Here are a few big ones, but then I want to turn my attentions to my own beloved city city of Binghamton, because even though I undertook a road trip amid a pandemic to participate in the resistance, the most pressing work is here.
Washington, DC is swarming with military right now. It's absolutely insane how many military vehicles and people with huge assault rifles and riot gear are filling the streets. Some have identification, and some do not. Even before we read news about ominous, unidentified law enforcement (who are PRISON RIOT POLICE), my friends and I were thrown off guard (yeah, even now I pun) by the unidentified officers. We thought they might be right-wing self-appointed militia. Understand how much confusion this could cause in a difficult situation. The military is patrolling areas far from the protests, like the Lincoln Memorial (really? Lincoln?!). There was also like a whole platoon or something, some giant group of soldiers from Tennessee with lightning bolt insignias in our hotel, so we ran into them (sometimes literally) on our way in and out of our accommodations. It got weird multiple times--we were constantly asked why we were in the building--but we also spent a lot of (socially distanced) time talking to miitary folks about how this was their first time in DC, how to get around the hotel with various parts of it blocked off, etc. etc. etc.
The protests were calm and focused. Everyone was intent on putting in the work, and they were clearly in for the long haul. It was an amazingly well-organized, well executed protest. Everyone was looking out for each other, and BLM and Freedom Fighters DC were supplying ample water, snacks, masks, hand sanny, etc. Breaking the law seems antithetical to the goals of the people I saw, who want to keep doing this for as long as possible. Police were affirming us all day long. I have included a video to show you the literal dance party that we were celebrating in the evening.
Here's the thing. The military is made up of young American people, just as much as the protests are. 40% are People of Color. On the streets, and especially in my hotel, we saw young people in the military, many of them of color. I cannot imagine that they joined thinking that they would be deployed to DC by an insane tyrant to hurt people working to make this country better.I cannot imagine what would happen if these young people were ordered to commit violence against the protesters.
Overnight, I couldn't sleep and I didn't want to wake my roommates, and I couldn't go outside because of the curfew, so I went down to the hotel's lobby. Around 4 am, the military came back, with all their riot gear and their giant guns. They looked tired and bored. I snapped a surreptitous photo, so that you can see these kids who are being given so many tools of war to stand, pointlessly-but-ominously, between protesters and our law-breaking, tyrannical president and his sycophants.
If you are looking for ways to support this movement and cannot join the lines, consider donating to BLM or Freedom Fighters DC. Here is a URL of my video. This is literally what we did most of the day: https://www.facebook.com/...s/10163650636600181/

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? June 8 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BingTri Like!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? June 8 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Last week was a wash for me. I wiped out during a bike ride on Monday, bumped my helmeted head, needed a few stitches, and basically spent the week doing my best mushroom impersonation (hiding in the dark and cool).

This week is so far going way better but I'm not setting any goals or putting any pressure on myself.

oh no, take care of your head! Did your helmet crack? (I think you're supposed to get a new one regardless?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it did crack (in multiple places too) - new one is already ordered although I'm not feeling ready to get back on the bike for an outdoor ride just yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad that you're getting a new one, and it's understandable that you wouldn't want to get back on the bike. Take care of yourself.

IN other news, I have finally been treated to the classy "You may register for a different race email" from IM. They would let me sign up for AC 70.3 or the LP 70.3, both in New York in September. What the sh*t are they smoking, thinking those races are still going to happen? Meanwhile, the NY Philharmonic has just cancelled its programs for the rest of the calendar year, and I'm only allowed to go back into my classroom at like 10% capacity and if we are able to wear masks and stay 6 ft away from each other. And that's the best case scenario for the Fall.

...Wow, I have a lot of rants this week...

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the Give it a Tri program that I help with was supposed to start on May 23rd, but we haven't been allowed to gather, so that hasn't started. The one race I had signed up for this year (open water swim & tri) has been cancelled, though no official announcement yet.
Training- still pretty non-existent, going with the flow.
This week plan- run group was supposed to meet last week, but curfew in LA County prevented that, so they met up yesterday, but it was too hot for me, got to over 100 degrees here, new record for Disney-heim by 11 degrees. Got my haircut & colored, turns out it had been almost a year since my last haircut. Trying to motivate my stylist to get back to training, she is also a triathlete. Might to a swim in the backyard, bike on trainer (tri bike)or outside (road bike) and walk or run this weekend.
Looking forward to happy hour tomorrow.

EDIT to add-- Legacy Triathlon/USAT Paratriathlon Nationals-- officially cancelled, I received an email yesterday in my capacity as volunteer coordinator, but the official email went out today. :(

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Last edited by: SDCali: Jun 11, 20 14:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You ladies know I'm not a regular in this forum but I do poke my head in once in awhile.

I've been busy reading an unusual (for me) amount of media, trying to get an even feel for what's going on outside my house that I barely leave. Early on I was an essential worker due to project needs at work, but since making that delivery (I'm a chemist), I've been on virtual assignment.

Last weekend my partner and I made a trip to a remote place in NY to meet 2 other couples. It was fantastic, laughing and enjoying in person companionship with friends over the sound of rushing water (property is deep woods & river front).

I'm not training as I'd like, instead managing my anxiety by aiming to fix some in progress or not yet done projects in my house. For some reason painting makes me feel calm, so my basement is getting all kinds of love these days.

Was wondering if anyone here was following the Women for Tri FB group saga? That's another place I'd check with irregularity. I recall (took part in) the thread on the main (ST) forum on minorities in triathlon and by the sounds of it WFT had just gotten around to that topic. WFT archived their FB group yesterday as a means to shut down on-going ugly interactions among posters. My hope is that women of all backgrounds can find a place to get support from each other. That's what prompted me to pipe up today. Not sure most of that very large group (>55,000 women) would be checking into ST, but I wanted to pop over in case.

Stay well, ladies.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? June 8 Edition [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you found something that makes you feel calm. It's always nice to have non-exercise ways to do that!
Are you willing to say more about your job? I'm a math prof and always trying to prepare students for STEM fields, so I'm super curious about what people in those STEM fields actually do :-)

Quote Reply