Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? July 8 Edition
Quote | Reply
you know what to do!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 8 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope you had a good week in Oklahoma Dr TC!

My goals were:
3 x swim, 4 x bike, 4 x run, 2 x strength and prepare for houseguests. I skipped one swim and the strength sessions. I don't know why but I just felt under so much pressure last week. Hoping this week is easier, which it should be since it's a cutback week and things have quietened down.

The highlight of the week was when my 14 and 16 yo cousins came out with me for my 2 hour long run! I'd never met the 14yo, and the 16yo was a baby last time I saw him so didn't really know what to expect. I had an awesome time, they did great, and hopefully I exposed them to a lifestyle where people enjoy activity rather than viewing it as a chore/punishment.

This week:
3 x swim, 4 x bike, 4 x run, 2 x strength. Make the most of the time with my grandmother.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 8 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday Ladies!

I hope you have a good week with your family, Sher!

If you've seen the news today, DC is under water. Literally. Thankfully I am home today, and mostly dry. Our creek crested and is over our bridge, so I'm in the house climbing the walls right now. Whee. Today is a reminder to never drive through water you can't see the road through- every emergency response service within a 40-mile radius is stretched to the max today with water rescues from people commuting in to the District. The White House basement is flooding. Many bike/running trails are completely littered with debris. It's sad and scary that this popped out of nowhere at 6:30 this morning.

Anyways, I have a story about actual training now. For the past two weeks, I have been seriously WTFing my workout intensity. To the point where I started deliriously questioning if my coach was trying to sabotage my training so I'd bail from IMMD (that thinking was mostly during the workouts in the intense heat we had last week). I got an email from her yesterday that started with "Holy crap are you okay? Training Peaks completely jacked up the training zones for you and several other athletes on the team. I was wondering why people weren't hitting their workouts and then realized something in the last update messed everything up". Apparently I was hitting those marks while swearing and then being miserable, and building misery for many days, and now I know it's not me. Lol.

Anyways, goal for the week: enjoy rest week!

M- long ride and run brick (makeup from yesterday when I was too exhausted to execute)
Tu- 2800yd swim and core
W- Team track
Th- 60min Zwift
F- 30min recovery swim and core
Sa- 90min run
Su- 50mi ride and 10min run brick

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: Jul 8, 19 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 8 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheh - Yay for inspiring the next generation!!

Dr. C - consider it a win that you gutted out the harder workouts. Everything from here on out should feel easy, right?? :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik. I hope you had a nice holiday and got in some quality riding while in Oklahoma.

Scheherazade, how fun to ride with the nextgen!

Dr. C, yikes! Hope things feel easy now. And stay safe -- I used to live in DC and NoVA and the footage is wild.

It was a big week for me -- 5 runs (mostly easy but one legit long, interval run), 4 rides, 3 swims, a rest day and a lovely little yoga class to keep the bod happy. I even rode my TT bike outside.
This coming weekend, I'm riding my bike from Seattle to Portland but have 2-3 regular swim, bike, run workouts before that goofiness. Taking today off for some rest day bragging :)

Happy training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 8 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The highlight of the week was when my 14 and 16 yo cousins came out with me for my 2 hour long run!

Aww, cool!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 8 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This coming weekend, I'm riding my bike from Seattle to Portland but have 2-3 regular swim, bike, run workouts before that goofiness. Taking today off for some rest day bragging :)

Cool! Enjoy! (I went to grad school at Oregon State so have spent a little bit of time in both those cities)

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 8 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr.C, LOL on the trainingpeaks mishap (kinda).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goal last week was to ride M-F. I rode M-Th (short rides were errands but it counts); just did NOT want to on Friday. I've also racked up 11 consecutive days of healthy coping skills, which I'm psyched about.

M: 5.6 mi run + 22 mi bike
T: 5.7 mi run + 525 yd swim + 6.4 mi bike
W: 6.6 mi run + 325 yd swim + 2.4 mi bike
T: 40.4 mi bike
F: 7 mi run + 600 scm swim
S: 2.5 mi run
S: 7.3 mi run + 1275 yd swim

totals 2781 yd swim + 71.2 mi bike + 34.7 mi run

goals for this week - swim Wed. and Sa. at the least; long run outside; speed workout of short intervals; bike at least once

I have cousins here this week (and it's the first week of summer camp, so I'm lifeguarding and teaching swimming from 8:30-3 each day). Enjoying the family time!

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jul 9, 19 14:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome work last week Dr. TC! Enjoy your family :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello all! I haven't posted in a couple of weeks but I have been reading and cheering you all on mentally.

Scheherazade, that run with your cousins sounds great. I hope you are having a good time with your grandmother.
Dr_C, I saw that there was a waterfall pouring into a subway elevator (?) in DC! Terrifying! I hope you are staying dry. And that is a little bit funny about your workout intensity...at least you know you can handle it now! =)
SoCal, that sounds like a great week!
Dr. T, I am wishing you patience lifeguarding and teaching swimming. Is it kiddos? Hopefully the summer vacation sillies aren't too bad.

I have been doing pretty well these last few weeks. Riding on the trainer, and twice outside last month. Building my run back up slowly. Lifting the occasional weight. Doing some PT. The usual, nothing too out of the ordinary. We didn't travel anywhere for the Independence Day holiday and it was nice sleeping in, lazing around, doing some baking, eating way too much barbecue, seeing friends, etc.

I did sign up for a 5K next month that we do every year, before remembering that we had planned to go out of town that weekend. Oops. So we might be coming home a day early for that. I'm confident I can at least slowly jog a 5K by then even if I'm not doing any real running yet. Also, I have been thinking of my Canadian friends dealing with the wildfires out west -- we have had a haze over Michigan for these past few days as a result! There have been a lot of very orange sunrises and sunsets. It was perfectly sunny for my wog after work yesterday so it seems to have all cleared out by now. I hope all of you and your loved ones are safe.

Some mildly bad news at the doc this morning... my thyroid meds need to be adjusted for the 8 millionth time (TSH is a little high but everything else was OK), which is doable but just annoying. Ugh! I guess the plus side is maybe there are gains to be made with fitness and overall health after we make the adjustment. Good news was everything else (cholesterol, blood sugar, etc.) was all fine. (Any of you also balancing thyroid weird-ness with training?)

Hope you are all having a healthy week!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hiiiii everyone!

Hello from North Carolina!!! I'm on the road and very busy still, so I'll keep it short. Things fell apart last week. I got so busy that my Sunday long run and swim just didn't happen at all, and on Saturday, I cut my long bike by a half hour (and did it on the trainer so that I could read for work) and didn't do the brick afterwards. I also missed a couple of shorter workouts during the week. Missed another swim on Monday. I'm trying to stick to my training play now, but I'm traveling and sleeping in a new bed every night so that's hard.

Silver lining: I visited with a friend who is a life-long, avid biker. She sized me up, gave me some tips, and we went on a ride in which she pushed the heck out of me. It was good for me, and gave me some motivation to find some cyclists to ride with back home.

Hope yer all doin well.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 8 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dr. T, I am wishing you patience lifeguarding and teaching swimming. Is it kiddos? Hopefully the summer vacation sillies aren't too bad.

Yup, kiddos. Most of them are pretty good :-) hope you get the meds sorted.

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jul 10, 19 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 8 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always find it crazy how far the smoke goes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
(Any of you also balancing thyroid weird-ness with training?)

Hope you are all having a healthy week!

Good to see you back! Yes, that was a waterfall in a Metro elevator. That was just about the least shitshowy thing from that day. Thankfully mostly everything is back in order. Sadly there is a bunch of very permanent damage to homes and vehicles, but the clearing of trails and paths has already begun.

For me it's not thyroid weirdness, but ladyparts hormone weirdness- my body stopped making them back in 2017. I've been on estrogen and progesterone for over a year, and there have been episodes where I'll feel fine one week and the next week the world is about to end. I'll go from feeling on top of my game with life and training and whatnot to not wanting to get out of bed and stabbity uterine and breast pain (like I am right now, whee). Thankfully I have a fantastic reproductive endo who basically knows every time I message her it's time to get new bloodwork done and tweak my dosages. I've found that what I eat, how I train and especially how I recover all play into that delicate balance. I keep a detailed journal of my training and diet with a corresponding energy and mood level, to see if I can identify patterns so I can nip the blips in the bud earlier than too late.

I'm sorry that hormonal stuff is so frustrating. It feels like it's a neverending process. But, on the flip side, it's a good thing that your body is able to make those adjustments with the medication and you have the quality of life that you deserve.

Quote Reply