Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? July 19 Edition (a few days late)
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week? Sorry to start this late - we've had family here!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 19 Edition (a few days late) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced on Saturday, first race since December 2019 (reverse TRIATHLON with pool swim), first open water triathlon since July 2019. Swim and bike were about the same pace as 2019 (same race, same run & swim course, but slightly different bike course. Run was about 9 minutes slower, felt very flat on the run, which was completely flat elevation wise. The only picture I took was of my transition area as soon as I set it up, which looked very different when transition closed, as someone racked their bike facing the wrong direction (never saw them to inform them of their error). It was fun to see a bunch of people I hadn't seen in almost 2 years, saw Gee before the race (she raced in a relay with Andy Potts), so was done way before I was (he was out of the water about 3 waves before I even got in). Volunteered Thursday & Friday, spent Thursday numbering caps, including snowman's, but he ended up not racing, he was supposed to rack one rack over from me, but I never found him. I did get a compliment on my ST kit during the run.
This not racing for a while made me forget all the spots that needed anti-chafe, so I got some not so nice chafing on the run.
This week- whatever, didn't think swimming with chafing wounds would feel very good, and Thursday master's coach is out of town, so didn't swim. Went to Tuesday run, took it easy, chafing hurts here too. Saturday- shop ride, keeping it with the social ride group, other group is riding the loop that I didn't finish the last time I attempted it (ended up in ambulance, missing 6 or so minutes of memory, still have no clue what happened).

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 19 Edition (a few days late) [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yay racing!
I use diaper rash cream for chafed spots (to heal them, not to prevent them)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 19 Edition (a few days late) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone! SD tagged me, so I am going to follow up with a weekly report! I am also very glad to see TC starting the thread because frankly I was worried about you when I didn't see it on Monday.

My last race was Alcatraz 2019, after which I took some time off, which then turned into Covid lockdown where I was alone and un(der)employed, so I was not training and was not planning to race at all this year. But fate intervened, and on Thursday I was asked to participate in the Olympian Pro-Am relay at the Legacy triathlon in Long Beach, which is part of the buildup to the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles. So I dusted off my tri bike, which has been in the closet and lonely for the last few years, for sure.

Eight Olympians participated, including triathletes Michellie Jones, Joe Maloy, Barb Lindquist, and Andy Potts, as well as John Naber and John Moffett (swim), Allan James (race walking), and Gideon Massey (track cycling). Friday night was dinner with the Olympians -- I sat between John N. and Michellie, both of whom brought Olympic medals with them for us to hold/try on, etc., and also with Joe, who was just lovely and so supportive of everyone as the USATFoundation ambassador captain. They were all soooo nice ... even if you are not a fan-girl (boy/gender-nonbinary, etc.), you would have been caught up in all the excitement.

The race itself was super fun, in large part because of the opportunity to see longtime racing and training friends for the first time in a few years. (Interestingly, my good friend ChrisM said he was surprised to see me, and I was like, Uh, I responded to your post on ST saying I'd be here, and he was like, wait, are you Gee? After 15 years of friendship and posting here back and forth, it totally made me laugh that he didn't know that, especially b/c a lot of my friends and my sister actually call me G.)

But the relay, OMG. I have mostly been swimming lately thanks to some health issues and the fact our masters team was allowed to swim through the stay-at-home order, so when I saw friends and said I was relaying, they thought I must be swimming. When I said no, cycling, they of course asked who my swimmer was. I wonder how many people in the AG triathlon world have dreamed of having Andy Potts as their relay swimmer? He was FOTW and about 2 minutes ahead of Barb, who was 2nd out of the water, and I made it just shy of 1.5 miles completely alone on the course until a few others, maybe Gideon and Denise Mueller-Korenek (fastest speed cycling ever at 184 mph!), came zooming by. Then Andy and I waited for our runner, and we all ran through the chute together. Team Potts even had matching kits to race in, which made it feel even more like a team effort (Joe told us he had "kit envy").

This is a charity event for the USAT Foundation, which supports Olympians and Paralympians, children, and other triathletes with encouragement and inspiration. It is an important fundraiser and a really really great bucket list thing to do, and I hope to see more ST people there next year!
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 19 Edition (a few days late) [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
super cool! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm okay. I am 4.5 weeks post-surgery and still allowed only upper body lifting. I go back to the doctor next Thursday. I hope so much to be cleared to water run, swim, and drive.

I've had a rough week. I am having conversations with a friend about trying to work out more moderately when I am allowed to exercise, and that is scary because over-doing is the only thing I have ever known and while I know the dangers of it, it is familiar. I am also actively trying to fight my eating disorder and this is difficult and paradoxically has made it worse (this is pretty normal, unfortunately). So things have been hard. But I am trying. I am trying so, so hard.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are all here to support you!
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? July 19 Edition (a few days late) [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

Quote Reply