Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?
What are your plans, if any, for Valentine's Day?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My goals this week are mental and physical health and to do things that make me faster.

I did ok. Two rough days mentally, but I met the other two goals.

s: 2x (2300 m)
b: 5x (138.8 mi)
r: 5x (40.4 mi)
strength: 2 short sessions

I've been pretty anxious lately, so this is my reminder to myself that setting very small goals as subsets of bigger tasks is okay. "Print document" is a step.

Valentines - I'm single and child free, so I sent a valentine package to my parents/sibling in Maine and a card to my brother and his dog in SLC. I'm actually very excited about the stuff I sent.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Feb 9, 21 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are currently in the middle of the polar vortex and have officially reached "the air hurts my face" status. I'm also working from home for the next two weeks while supervising Grade 4 school for the nine year old (there was a positive Covid case at his daycare, so even though he's negative, he has to quarantine for two weeks). Thankfully he (mostly) likes school, so it shouldn't be too awful.

We did do the "throw boiling water in the air" thing the other day. It was pretty fun. It's even colder today, so we might try again. The dog has been really good with the cold, but walks have definitely gotten shorter.

I've started doing core/weights every other day and am finishing up the Tour de Zwift cycling challenge today. I'm seriously considering an FTP test (my current FTP is way too high for my fitness level) and doing a zwift workout plan. I like the structure of a plan, but it might get tricky since the Zwift computer is also now the kid's school computer. I can kick him off for workouts, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
My goals this week are mental and physical health and to do things that make me faster.

I did ok. Two rough days mentally, but I met the other two goals.

s: 2x (2300 m)
b: 5x (138.8 mi)
r: 5x (40.4 mi)
strength: 2 short sessions

I've been pretty anxious lately, so this is my reminder to myself that setting very small goals as subsets of bigger tasks is okay. "Print document" is a step.

I've been getting really overwhelmed with "big" tasks as well. But doing some small portion of it sure helps get the ball rolling. I need a motivational poster of that I think.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be able to try the "throw water in cold air" trick this Saturday here. We're getting some of the polar vortex, except the news is calling it the "polar outbreak." I think someone made a mistake and wrote that the first time, then it stuck. I hear someone on a NSFW radio show call it the "polar kotex" this morning, which is the best one I think I've heard so far.

Quote:
the Zwift computer is also now the kid's school computer. I can kick him off for workouts, right?
Yes - have him do some jumping jacks while you ride. Phys ed!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got my 3 swims in (average 2000 yds), got 1st vaccination, though the location wasn’t fond of the paperwork I brought. Due to the fact that I had vaccination on the brain, I forgot to sign up for my swim slots for this week until it was too late. I tried several other local pools and none had any availability, so I’m going to be dry this week ☹️. I guess I will try to get motivated to do something else, like bike or run this week. Friday is a day off along with next Monday due to President’s Day.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was ARRRGGGHHH!!!! My flooring saga is getting ridiculous. I want new carpet (2nd floor hallway, 3 bds, stairs btwn 2/3rd floors and then luxury vinyl plank (poor man's hardwood) for my 3rd floor giant open room (44' x 16' with a 20' ceiling angling down). I have the treadmill, weights, TV, loveseat and a queen sized bed up there. Right now both the 2nd and 3rd floors have cheap builder crap carpet (which is starting to wrinkle/buckle, plus, it's gross beige). So I placed an order, put down a deposit and the carpet install was supposed to occur on Wed. 1/27. You have to move all the stuff out of the closets (including hanging clothes) and books out of the bookcase in the bd that's an office so I have my master bath and the other bathroom JAMMED with stuff.

Here is the saga:

Jan. 28: Let’s see. Yesterday two guys showed up to install new carpet and one had a mask on and the other didn’t. I asked him to put on a mask and he said he didn’t have one and they would have to go buy one. And I told them when they came back they needed to park in the front and bring the carpet in through the front door because the stairs were right there. So they left and at least 30 minutes later when they weren’t back, I texted the sales dude and told him what happened and where were they. He texted back he was calling the manager to check but that they should’ve had masks because masks are required. So then the manager called and said they had come back to the warehouse and he wondered what was going on. I told him and he said was going to line them out and send them back.

In the meantime, the fireplace guy came and cleaned up the fireplace and got it all ready and wore a mask and was very nice and personable. In the meantime, the sales dude stopped by because he thought the guys would be back but, nope. He had some new samples for the third-floor that I’m looking to do so he showed me those. Then he called the manager at the shop and talked to him and it seems that they decided they couldn’t carry the carpet up with just two of them and they needed more guys (wtf! did they not think of that before they left?) and there were no other guys available yesterday, so they weren’t coming back at all yesterday. Could they do it today? Well shit! That really messes my schedule up! I said I could do it today but it would have to be at least 1 o’clock at the earliest because I had physical therapy in the morning, so we rescheduled for 1 PM today.

So fast forward to today and I go to physical therapy and then I come home and they are there waiting. Then they were saying something about needing space to cut the rug but it really made no sense. At least they had masks. But after going back-and-forth about what they were actually doing, everyone got frustrated and they got back in the truck and left. I called the manager and he said they had texted him but he didn’t know what they were talking about so he was going to call them and call me back. So he called me back shortly after that and says he can’t get a hold of them and he would call me back once he talked to them. That was about 1:30 PM and it’s now 8:15 PM and I have not heard back from him. And my entire second floor is all torn up with everything stacked in the two bathrooms and in the laundry room so it’s a big fucking mess.

If they had laid out needs and expectations upfront, that probably would alleviated a lot of the issue. But me hearing three different, and changing, stories did not help at all. Nor does the language barrier.

Rescheduled with another crew for Monday, Feb. 1 - IT'S A FREAKING BLIZZARD SO THEY COULDN'T DO THE JOB!

Rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 3 - Tuesday afternoon, Feb. 2, the manager calls TO CANCEL AGAIN! I tell him forget the entire thing and GIVE ME BACK MY DEPOSIT.

A friend's husband here gave me the name and number of a local company and they came out and I have placed an order and put in a deposit so hopefully we will get it going this week. I still have everything piled up in the bathrooms so everything is a mess and has been for 2 freaking weeks. And all the waiting around and dealing with this means limited workouts. Plus, last week I was feeling like I was getting a cold - runny nose, ears feeling "full". Generally every winter I get bad bronchitis or an earache, so knock wood - this year has been OK.

I did get one of those Kickr bikes and I'm still working on getting the fit just right. I think I need to swap out saddles!

Last week:
Mon. Walk 1.7 miles
Tue. Walk 1.8 miles
Wed. Bike Sufferfest 4.6 miles
Thur. Walk 1.6 miles
Fri/Sat. Off - didn't feel good
Sun. Bike RGT (a different online system) 9.7 miles; yoga: walk 1.7 miles

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh that is quite the saga! Fingers crossed it is sorted soon ironclm.

Dr TC - I love that you sent care packages to the family.

edbikebabe - absolutely kick him off the computer. Just call it a really long lunch break.

Recovery week here - I've been putting in some big bike volume and while it's nice to have a light week I'm already feeling antsy.
No real plans for V-day but I might make some chocolate chip cookies. The recipe is a "chill the dough for a day" kind so we'll see if it's worth the wait.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

As for Valentine's Day - I'm sending stuff to my little people. It's also the first day of the Tour of Sufferfest which I signed up for so I may be flat out asleep by 6PM.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yo! I'm ok. Busy with work, and tired of the winter, but fine.

I've been doing all the workouts I'm 'sposed to. Got a little calf niggle, but I increased run volume and speed in January, so that made a lot of sense, and it was already in the plan to pump the breaks on running a little so it's not been an issue recently.

Here's what I've got this week:

M: Swim 2400 yds. (check!)
Tu: REST! (nailin' it!)
W: Fartlek run (about 5 mi?)
Th: 1-hr. ride (threshold)
F: 4-mi run with some intervals
Sa: 2-hr. ride and strength
Su: long run (not that long, like a 10k)

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you have fun giving gifts to the fam!!! I'm kind of a Valentine's Day Scrooge, so I doubt I'll do much.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope you're enjoying the Zwift stuff! It looks fun. I can't imagine how hard it'd be to grind with a higher FTP than my actually fitness level. That stuff's hard enough when I'm honest about my actual FTP.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the shot! My parents got theirs too. Enjoy the running or biking!

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that company sounds sketchy AF. I hope you were able to get your money back. Sorry for the headache, and the torn up house!

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooo, good idea on some fancy cookies for Valentine's!!! Enjoy your recovery week. I tend to clean the house (very unusual behavior...)

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cleaning is one of my "r and r" activities too, LOL.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still having a rough week with anxiety. I haven't journaled this week, so I'm posting this to commit to journaling today. I'll check back in when I've done so. Thanks for listening.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vacuumed the main floor and cleaned behind the stove! I found a coffee spill that had been unmentioned at the time (ahem).

I'll keep an eye out for your journal check-in post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
behind the stove, well done!

I journaled and it felt really good. Thank you for holding me accountable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I journaled and it felt really good.

Yay! I'm proud of you for taking the time to look after yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm glad I did it. I had to tell myself that I do NOT need to grade on a Friday night... "too busy" is not a good excuse to not journal, when journaling is key for getting me out of the difficult stuff.

Thanks again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Thanks. I'm glad I did it. I had to tell myself that I do NOT need to grade on a Friday night... "too busy" is not a good excuse to not journal, when journaling is key for getting me out of the difficult stuff.

Thanks again.
I was checking my work email today- looking for the e-mail I had that said how much we got paid for covering an extra period, as it changed during the fall, and I just worked my first extra period this week and was updating my spreadsheet. As I looked through my unread email, there was one that said not to read it until Tuesday (we were off today and are off on Monday), trying to encourage teachers not to worry about work when they are not at work/weekends/holidays.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Feb. 8/9 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-)

I'm committing to journaling again today. I hope everyone has a good day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, good day here. Lots of snow shovelling but thankfully it was the light fluffy stuff. Chocolate chip cookie dough balls are hanging out in the fridge ready for tomorrow.

I hope the journaling happened!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Journaling happened, and I will make it happen again today since it is helping.

It looks like shoveling will be happening for me, too - we've gotten a couple of inches of snow so far (and more is on the way, apparently).

Quote Reply

Prev Next