Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? April 25 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you? How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? April 25 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had awesome guests last week, so there was merriment and adventure and bickering and fun. I need a day or two to recover.

How are you?
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? April 25 Edition [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm okay! Last week I had 6/7 days with healthy coping skills (goal had been 7).
Sport wise 1 rest day, 3 swims (total of 3k), 2 bikes (total of 23 mi), 5 runs (total of 31 miles). I did strength a few times, and some stairmaster time (at least 2h20 total, that might have been it?)

Goal this week is to keep the run mileage at 31 or fewer miles, and 7/7 healthy coping skills. This is a busy work week as it's the week before finals. I fly back to Maine next Tuesday!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 25, 22 14:09
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? April 25 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re running 6 miles a day? And no foot pain? That’s fantastic! Your swimming & biking seem very complimentary and reasonable. It all sounds good!!

I’m psyched you’re almost at finals week & the trip to Maine. You’re busy & very productive! That sounds fun. :)
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? April 25 Edition [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You’re running 6 miles a day? And no foot pain?

Not every day and the distances have varied, but 6 mi would be the mean. I am not having any pain on a flat treadmill at the current speeds I've tried. I am still trying to sort out what caused the onset of pain on Jan. 18 - if it was the 10k I'd done on the 16th (hills, faster than I'd been running), not taking time off after that race, just total mileage (this seems unlikely looking at my training log from Sept to Jan). The thing that is sort of frightening right now is some clicking and popping if I walk barefoot sometimes. I don't know if that's worrisome. I have a follow up with the surgeon on May 4 so I can ask some questions. Between now and then I am trying to tease out what if anything causes pain - so far I've tried different speeds and I think that's ok. Hills? I dunno.

But yes I am stoked to be able to run again :-) trying not to overdo any one thing or things collectively

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe stick with the running that isn’t hurting. Your doctor can give you good info on May 4, which is next week! It’s nice you can get regular workouts in. :)
Last edited by: CallMeMaybe: Apr 25, 22 17:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maybe stick with the running that isn’t hurting. Your doctor can give you good info on May 4, which is next week! It’s nice you can get regular workouts in. :)

to answer the earlier question, I am trying to eliminate two specific unhealthy behaviors. I cope really well (healthy coping mechanisms) with a fair amount of anxiety on most days.

Good idea about sticking with running that isn't hurting. The way this has all worked out, I thought for sure in Feb/March/early April that the pain that started in January wouldn't settle down on its own. I was convinced something had changed in my foot anatomy (feet do change) either from just general changes or I had dome something in the race that was making the tendon rub and the only option was going to be to remove the screw. So when I had an appt in early March with the surgeon and he said it might settle down on its own, lets re-evaluate in early May and if it's bothering you we'll take it out, I was pretty sure what was going to happen is I'd try to run, have pain, and show up on May 4 ready to schedule a surgery, trying to fit it in so I'd be able to be in the water lifeguarding around July 4 (I take a break from my Big Kid professor job for a month every summer and teach swimming at a summer camp). When I found I could / can so far run and feel okay, I didn't re-evaluate that plan - I was still in the mode (basically until your post, not kidding) that on May 4 I'd need to make a decision as to having the screw taken out, hence I needed to figure out what did hurt and what didn't.

But, the logical flaw in that is that there's actually no clock on this. I can take as long as I want to build up running again, try cycling outdoors (I've been doing the stationary bike because I think it's less stressful on feet than the clippy pedals on my road bike), etc. Moreover, it makes sense to do that. And on May 4 I can ask the questions I have and go from there.

Anyway, that was a very helpful comment, so thank you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn’t it fun when you have a moment when your thinking shifts? We make the rules for how we think about things, so it makes sense that we can change the rules. You are your own boss.

A long time ago, my youngest had a hard time in his 1st grade class. He was peeing his pants all the time back then. Tough times! I kept him home from school for a mental health day, and we went to the park to draw. I gave us an assignment for the day: look at things from a different angle and draw them.

He drew a park bench, and I framed it. It was such an amazing day to talk with my boy about looking at things from different angles. Here it is:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's a good story and also a REALLY good drawing!

Quote Reply