Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? Aug. 8 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you? How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Aug. 8 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
more later, but after a week with some tough days, I have a 48-day streak of healthy coping skills as of this AM :-)
very proud of myself

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Aug. 8 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After a rough season of struggling with sickness, work stress, and heatwaves, I have my A-race in 2 weeks and I am utterly unmotivated. Hoping that some miracle happens and I am excited to train/race, but really I just want this to be over and lay this season to rest.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Aug. 8 Edition [mdemeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's the distance? are you pushing through the lack of motivation, or not training? If the former, maybe the taper will help. If the latter, maybe "I will do 20 min of [sport] and keep going if I feel good and stop if I still am not feeling it"? I do that a lot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my goals were 3-4 strength sessions (did a couple strength exercises so a D+ grade on this), do stuff to make me faster (did), keep up healthy coping skills (still going strong - 48 days as of this AM!)

M: 7.65 mi run w/ an hour at 8:34/mi + leg press
T: 4525 yd swim
W: 3625 yd swim + 2.3 mi easy run
T: 9 mi easy run
F: 4375 yd swim
S: 7.7 mi run w/ some miles fartlek at 8:57/mi
S: 4125 yd swim + rotator cuff and hip strength

totals 16,650 yd swim and 27 mi run, four sessions of each.

goals this week are same as last. So proud of my 7 weeks of healthy coping skills (as long as I get through this evening which I think I can do)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cratered on my group bike ride. It was hot and about 90% humidity and after 65 minutes, I started developing heat stress so I called it a day. Seems that the medication I'm on for my foot/ankle swelling doesn't play well with heat and sunshine. My pool is closed for nearly 3 weeks for annual maintenance so no swimming. At least I have the VR exercise.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Middle distance. Pushing hard through the lack of motivation for about four months now. Got sick and took a long time to recover. I lost a lot of fitness, and have been pushing myself to try to make it back. I am usually a fan of the '20 min and quit' mentality, but it's not really working because I am doing a lot of intensity right now. So the warmup is fine and I could continue with endurance pace, but it's the dread of the intervals and the pushing through them that is getting to me. Mentally, I am just done with making myself suffer. I thought that was the point of the 7 months of intense training through the winter. On top of that, I feel like we have had a constant heat wave for 3 months now and it's so unpleasant. I have a coach who I want to trust because he got me good results last year, but with the intense pressure at work (2nd year PhD student), I can't mentally handle the training load anymore. I keep telling myself I just have one final week before taper, but it's still hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry you're struggling. What are you working on a doctorate in?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neurobiology. What is your doctorate in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
neurobiology - neat! do you have an idea what you want to work on for your dissertation, or are you currently doing research on something?
My doctorate is in mathematics education. I'm a college prof and my research focus is how/what undergraduates learn from doing math homework.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am currently doing research in the field of neurovascular disorders. I am doing my PhD in Germany and the system is a bit different here than in the States. So we don't have classes/ lectures, or a real 'program'. We are hired for a specific project, and then we work on it (and many other side projects/ collaborations) until it can either be published, or we write our thesis. Your research sounds very interesting. I am curious what you think about how math is taught/learned in other countries where homework isn't as common.
Quote Reply