Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Was Your Week? Dec. 19 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it. What are your plans for Christmas (if you celebrate it)?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week? Dec. 19 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goal last week had been 4 swims; I did 5. Another goal had been to lift twice - check, though the second one was short.
Run workouts: Tuesday (20 x 400 alternate 8min mile pace with 6:18 mile pace); Thursday long run had 9 miles @ half marathon pace; Saturday run was abnormally fast and I clipped off 8.2 miles in an hour.
Swim workouts: two good threshold workouts and one vo2 max. I ventured into my ___ x 300 @ vo2 max (did 4 of them) set ... the real goal on that one is to build up to doing 8 of them, desc 1-3 then swim 5 @ vo2 max. It is painful and lovely and delicious.

M - 6.8 mi run + 3600 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 2400 yd swim
W - 3.7 mi run + 2500 yd swim
T - 12 mi run + 2700 yd swim
F - 6 mi run + 3000 yd swim
S - 8.2 mi run
S - 6 mi run

Totals: 50.2 mi run + 14,200 yd swim

The trouble this week: no more school :-( the semester ended Friday. I have some work to do, but I am super anxious with all of the unstructured time. I wrote a to-do list ... I do have a fair amount of stuff I can do. But I need to come up with some structure for myself, because it's the hour-by-hour plan for the day that helps me. I hope I get called to substitute teach today and tomorrow (I am already busy for Wed. :-) --- I love doing that and it helps my day so much. I am also trying to think of volunteer opportunities for this week. I need busy!!!!!!!!!!!

Christmas - will be home for the week, but visiting grandparents on Christmas day.

Training goals for this week - will come back to this when I figure out what I have for gym and pool access for the week.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 19, 11 2:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sigh. Still didn't get the workouts in that I wanted to. Goals:
run 6x/5x done
home exercises 5x/4x done
swim 3x/ 0x done
bike 3x/ 0x done

But I'm OK with it. I decided a couple of things are going on. First, it's no longer about physical recovery from the IM, it's just mental. Not registered for any races, and no structured training plan make it hard for me to commit to the training. And it's part resentment. I spent all damn summer training, riding past people playing at the beach, holding back yard cookouts, etc, and I just haven't felt like doing that during the holidays.

So, I registered for a spring HIM, and will start the build for that in January; hunting for a spring marathon and will focus on run training for the rest of the month. Will sneak in a swim and bike or two as I want.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To help fill in time, you might want to consider contacting local children's shelters, emergency shelters, etc (what I did at 8 months pregnant). They usually have Christmas wrapping parties this week and need lots of helping hands to get things ready. Normally, they have background check requirements, but this usually isn't an issue for "non-contact" type events. You might be able to check your local United Way site for a list of agencies if needed. =)
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week? Dec. 19 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And it's part resentment. I spent all damn summer training, riding past people playing at the beach, holding back yard cookouts, etc, and I just haven't felt like doing that during the holidays.

Nice "digging" on your part to figure out the feelings.

Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week? Dec. 19 Edition [A_Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good ideas. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 - The mental break is just as important as the physical break. Sounds like you now have a plan. Good job. And you're still working out. You don't need to be at the level you were before IM. You're doing great!

Tigerchik - Good job w/ finishing the semester. I'm assuming the defense went well. What's the plan now? Graduation in May?
Sound like you'll do fine, but if needed, just like you do for you workouts, set goals for unstructured time. Remember that you might want to include a nap once in a while, they're amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week? Dec. 19 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My week went fairly well. A few things could have been better, but I think I say that every week.

swim goal was 2-3 x / I got only once in. But better than nothing.
Bike goal 3-4 x for at least 4 hours. / I did 3, w/ only a total of 3:30.
Run - slowly increasing mileage. Ended week w/ 63.7 miles. That's where I want to be. I just want to get rid of this nagging hip / hamstring thing that I've had for > 2 months. I keep thinking it's feeling better, and then it comes right back.

Next week goals :
Swim - minimum of 2 times, no excuses
Bike- minimum of 4 hours, no excuses
Run - I think I have 65-67 miles on the schedule.
core and weights - 3 times

I have thursday and Friday off., so we'll see how it goes. Already filling up those days w/ lunches and shopping and just stuff. Sunday will be a quick run in the morning before everyone gets up and then laying on the coach all day.

Happy training everyone.

Nancy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am student teaching this coming semester. Yes- defense went really well. I graduate in May and I am looking into PhD programs (one of the current projects).

Here's the to-do list for today:
-clean my room; sort clothes to take to goodwill
-statistical analysis of calc grades
-work on PhD school research

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great run mileage. What kind of hip problems are you having? I've wrestled with a few of my own

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
didn't take any digging at all--the "I don't f*%kin feel like it" gave it away pretty easy! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week? Dec. 19 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
That's great run mileage. What kind of hip problems are you having? I've wrestled with a few of my own

I guess the problem is that I dont' really know what the problem is.
Early Oct doing some marathon paced miles, my butt started to hurt, and into back of thigh. Took a few days off, but since then it's turned into just constant dull pain that is sometimes in glut, and sometimes in lateral part of hamstring. I went to ART, he thought it was pinched nerve, but I'm not so sure. doing all kinds of things for it, but I think what's helping the most is good mornings. So I'm doing a lot of those. Doesn't seem to be getting worse, so I'm still running.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is exactly what happened to me about a month ago--sudden onset of pain during 5K race (done at a PR pace!), following some tightness that I had experienced during long runs building up to and including my IM. At first the throbbing pain was so bad it would wake me up at night--glut, down through lateral hamstring, through calf and around top of foot. My self diagnosis is piriformis syndrome (google it and search the main forum). As I understand it, when the piriformis is inflamed it can put pressure on the sciatic nerve.

About a month later, with lots of stretching and rolling, it's much better. I still have to be careful. I find that if I tense up or try to run fast it aggravates it, as do hill repeats. Here is a good site to start with:
http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/body-resource-map/hip-posteriorback-of/

It literally is a PITA.

Last edited by: Tri3: Dec 19, 11 7:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
improving my flip turns, and figured out the basic mechanics of butterfly. did my first ever length of fly on tuesday and first 100 IM on thursday. kind of figured out the 2nd kick piece of the puzzle on saturday, and got it working a little better yesterday.

my lats freakin' hate me.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Thanks. That sounds like what I have - deep pain, worse w/ fast or hills, but I"ve been doing Pirformis stretches and that hasn't helped. The "good mornings" seem to help the most. Seems to be improving, but very slowly. Fingers crossed.
Quote Reply