Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How'd you do? May 9
Quote | Reply
Hope all the ST moms had a good mothers' day.
How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? May 9 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals had been 10k swim, 100 mi bike, 40 mi run. I didn't meet them :P

M: 6 mi bike + 6.5 mi run (intervals)
T: off
W: 8.6 mi run
T: 6.6 mi run + 15 mi bike
F: 7.5 mi run
S: 8 mi run (threshold) + 20 mi bike
S: 2.5 mi walk, 50 min yoga

totals = no swim (half lack of pool access and half being lazy), 41 mi bike (at least that's more than last week), 37.2 mi run (that's fine - not worried I didn't get to 40 miles, as I had 2 fast runs in there and 35-40 miles of running is cool with me).

The finish-my-stats-project goal: CHECK.
Eating: terrible week.

I'll think of training goals later but one big thing I need to do today is journal. I'm upset about a variety of things.
On the good side: May term starts today! I'm TA'ing an undergrad geometry course, taking a summer course (this one is online), and the big goal for May is to Write My Thesis.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello all! This is my first time replying to this thread, but I've been a long-time lurker. It's somewhat comforting to know that other ladies out there also struggle with many of the same issues that I do. For me-- it's dealing with food cravings and making time to train for the swim.

I raced St. Anthony's last Sunday and was nursing what appeared to be some tendinitis in my left ankle/shin before the race (opted to race anyway). So in light of that, here was my week:

M: Scheduled rest day from race. Made an appt. with Ortho for Thursday morning.
T: Lower leg still hurting; opted for a second day of nothingness
W: 32 miles on the bike with a few intervals thrown in between miles 12 and 20. Lower leg was bugging me by the end of the ride.
R: Another rest day for leg. Had an appt. with ortho doc and imaging studies (x-ray and MRI) on left leg. No running for another couple of days. I can bike without intervals and I can swim.
F: No leg pain today at all, but I opted to rest it (again). Doc called- no fracture from what he can tell so far.
S: 42 miles on the bike- all easy. Leg felt great!
S: 6 mile run/walk. No pain in leg, so I opted to do a 5:2 run/walk ration for 6 miles. Went well. Hoping that all of that rest earlier in the week did its job.
**Notice- not one swim in there. I swam as a kid and for a few years in HS. I am not at all a great swimmer, but tend to come out towards the FOP no matter how much or how little I train; hence, this makes it difficult to motivate for the pool. Such a poor return on investment for me. :-(

Food-
I started out the week great. I concentrated on loading my plate with veggies and sticking with foods that are only "once removed" from the Earth (i.e- nothing processed) and then my sweet tooth bit me. This typically happens at night for me. I can easily select a piece of fruit, but my mind is saying, "cookie, brownie." I don't keep these things in the house, but when you have flour and other ingredients in the pantry, it's really easy to make them... even just to make up a bit of dough. Terrible, I know. :-(
Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? May 9 [shellabree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can easily select a piece of fruit, but my mind is saying, "cookie, brownie." I don't keep these things in the house, but when you have flour and other ingredients in the pantry, it's really easy to make them... even just to make up a bit of dough. Terrible, I know. :-(

It's interesting to hear someone say that. Cooking is a deterrent for me to eat sweets. One of my dietician's suggestions was "if you want [insert baked good here] you have to make it." There are several reasons that helps. First, I tend to lose interest in something that takes awhile to assemble, bake, and do a bunch of dishes from. Second, there's the time delay of having to make, heat the oven, cook, cool, etc. Third, if I really do feel like eating a muffin, the ingredients will be all homemade stuff rather than, say, a processed grocery store muffin, so it's a teensy bit healthier.

I'm glad you're chiming into the thread. Hope your leg is all set (awesome to get diagnostic studies done the day you saw your ortho, btw. A few years ago when I needed an MRI, I had to wait a month).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
It's interesting to hear someone say that. Cooking is a deterrent for me to eat sweets. One of my dietician's suggestions was "if you want [insert baked good here] you have to make it."

This is a great piece of advice. Thank you so very much for posting that. Like I mentioned, often I will just create the dough (ugh) but not see it through to the baking phase for the exact reason you mentioned above. I don't want to wait. Next time I have this craving, I will tell myself, "If I want it, I have to full prepare it." I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

I was lucky with the MRI. The ortho joins us on occasional group rides, so I think he took a bit more interest in me. While I was in the exam room, I actually heard him get on the phone with the MRI peeps to ensure that they could squeeze me in that afternoon. I see him for a follow-up tomorrow and hopefully he will clear me. I've got a little local tri this Saturday that I would like to participate in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- 3 very short, easy runs: WIN.
- 3 walks to stretch my legs out: WIN.
- 3 bike: WIN.
- 3 swim: WIN.
- 4 core/strength/stretch including foam rolling: WIN.

went pretty well for a post-marathon week, but i fatigue pretty easily. need to get more sleep.

this week's goals:
- 4 runs
- 3 bike
- 3 swim
- 5 core/strength/stretch incl. foam rolling

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: May 9, 11 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals: I have issued myself another 200mi running challenge for May (similar to my Dec one), so let's start ramping up and see how it goes. I'd like to crack 50k this week, it's been a while since I've been at that volume (sad eh?). I *might* do a 5k race on Mother's day (with my girl). But optional at this point.
M: OFF - GO VOTE! ;-) => DONE and good thing I rested, I felt like I was fighting a cold all week.
T: Run to and from work (11k each way). If too stiff still, ride, then run at lunch (50' with 8x30" strides) =>DONE (Rode to/from work and ran at lunch.)
W: Run to and from work. => DONE (22k and I was tired)
R: Same as Tues => DONE (Rode to/from work and ran at lunch)
F: 40' with 8x30" strides => FAIL - was tired, legs had no jump.
St: 15k with dog. => Small "d" done - 10k only but felt great!
Sn: 5k race or 5k ez => FAIL - hung with my guy and my girl instead.
Total mileage for the week was 47k, so close to the 50k I wanted, but I felt I could have done more. Stupid cold that wanted to try and keep me down and lots of grey rainy weather, bah.

This week:
Run M, T, W, R at lunch (6-9k each run so ~30k)
Run T R in the morning with the dog (~6-7k each run so ~12k)
Run long on weekend (~15k)
Ride to and from work T R (optional)
Total mileage goal: 60km.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies! Glad to have a few new names around here!

This last week was a good week training-wise as I prepare for an olympic triathlon at the end of May (Cap Tex Tri, Austin). My goals were 3/3/4 s/b/r and some core work or yoga. The running is still coming along and the mileage is slowly getting to where I'd like to stay for a while. Here's what I accomplished:

Monday: 2200 meter steady swim; 4 mile run

Tuesday: 31 mile ride (hilly ride)

Wednesday: 2300 meter swim w/ drills, 4.3 mile run

Thursday: 30 mile ride

Friday: 2100 meter swim, 4.4 mile run

Saturday: 40 mile ride (this was a tough one!)

Sunday: 9 mile run

What I didn't get to, as is typical for me, was my yoga and strength training. Does anyone have any motivational keys to following through with the vital but not so interesting task of strength/stretching?

Oh, and I signed up for my first 70.3!! Longhorn 70.3 in late October. Yippee Skippy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you have to have that sweet something, might you try a good piece of dark chocolate, a spoon full of organic peanut butter drizzled w/ maple syrup, a half cup of all natural frozen yogurt or a handful of chocolate covered almonds. These are all portion controlled, healthy foods but they are "decadent" in that they seem like a treat. Just a suggestion.... :)
Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? May 9 [Tri_Dietitian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: stretching - a yoga class. Or get a foam roller. I love my foam roller!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced on Sunday and stayed with the group in 3/4 races, which was my goal.

Made it through a long work week including a quick trip to New York and culmination of a huge work project and audit.

Back in the gym and lifting weights with trainer Felix.

Down 17 pounds since the beginning of the year.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? May 9 [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on all accounts!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get my sticker for Monday & Tuesday :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go, girl! Keep it up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Congrats on all accounts!

Thanks! I raced again last night and did OK. Things are starting to come together.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply