Previous week's update:
MO: 90 min XT
TU: 60 min run (TM), 2000m swim, 30min spin, core
WE: 60 min trainer ride, 30 min XT, 2000m swim
TH: off
FR: 60 min XT, 30 min trainer ride
SA: 90 min spin, 5 mile run, core
SU: 90 min spin, 35 min XT, core

My hip flexor started to feel better by mid week (I have/had a 1/4 inch tear in my psoas major), so on Saturday I decided finally to try out an easy run. Felt OK until about mile 4. The footing is so crappy with all the snow we have, even with YakTrax on, and the hip flexors are definitely working overtime to help stabilize. Noooo bueno.

Also no bueno - I iced my hip/groin area after that run, and totally self-induced frost bite on my inner thigh. I didn't realize it was too cold, because obviously it was too numb to feel! When I took the ice off though, there was literally a hard layer of frozen skin. Hoping the redness goes away in a couple days and I didn't do permanent damage! I've been getting a lot of "oh, frost bite... that's what they call it now?" from my teammates so I'd love to be able to shut that up. :D

Week of 2/7 - 2/13:
MO: 60 min XT, 4000m swim
TU: 90 min spin, 2000m swim
WE: 60 min spin, 60 min run (IF hip flexor agrees)
TH: off / 3000m swim
FR: 90 min spin, 3000m swim
SA: 60 min spin, 60 min run (IF hip flexor agrees)
SU: 120 min spin, core

Main goal is to get at least 3 swims in.... hopefully 4! And only run if it feels good and continues to feel good throughout the run. Will probably stick to the TM just to have the stability of solid ground.

_____

Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.
Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? 2/7 - 2/13 [Dr.TriRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M - 4 mi run, 40 min bike
T - 3.8 mi run
W - 4.2 mi run, 3100 yd swim
T - 4 mi run + 2 mi walk AM , 4 mi run + 1500 yd swim PM
F - 3.5 mi run, 2800 yd swim
S - 4 mi run
S - off

totals: 27.5 mi run, 0:40 bike, 7400 yds swim, 2 mi walk

Eating went ok, 5 out of 7 good days again. I did not make my goal of riding 3 times - when I went up north for the weekend I didn't pack my bike and was kicking myself for it - but I made my other goals (swim 3x and run 6x). Oh, I didn't go to yoga Tuesday night as I'd planned because I had too much school work to do. This is a very, very busy semester for me. I am pleased to say I got an A on my first statistics homework :-)

curious; when you say "spin" how is that different from a trainer ride? I hope the hip flexor feels better really soon. How do you know you had a tear in it? (MRI?) Is that something that heals but is likely to happen again?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Feb 7, 11 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? 2/7 - 2/13 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goals for this week:
- Meeting with my dietician today; I can show her my really pretty sticker decorated calendar. (not a goal, just a note really)
- 6 runs, 3 swims, 2 rides
- Hip exercises twice; shoulder exercises twice.

The really big goal for today is I have a 10 pg paper due by this evening and I only have 2 pages of it done...

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I spin it's either at my gym or with my team... but on a spin bike instead of on my own bike up on the trainer. I've come to not hate (too much) the spin bikes, and at least with the ones we have you can get a pretty comfortable "aero" position. The only problem is that the seats are so flipping wide, I swear you're shaving off your lesser trochanter with every pedal stroke!! The trade off is that I get to ride with a bunch of cyclists and triathletes, watch an old Ironman or Tour on a big screen, and not worry about the playlist. (And I know I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I'm also not putting any extra "wear" on my own bike. Hahah!!)

The psoas major tear was seen in an MRI (that I had done for a different reason... FML), but it's most definitely the fault of my plyo program. Just jumped in too quickly, which is actually the fault of ME... shoot! I'm in the sports medicine field, so I definitely know better!

Nice job with stats! I'm still in school too, so I fully understand the balancing act of school/life/training. NTM family/boyfriend/job/house.... ugh. Sometimes I just want to move to Walden.

_____

Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- 3 runs, being careful of my right ankle (hurt it tobogganing yesterday): FAIL. one run only.
- 3 bike: FAIL. zero.
- 5 core/strength w/2 full workouts: FAIL. i did yoga before work twice.
- 2 swim, and decent ones: FAIL. one swim only.
- 1hr+ snowshoe on wednesday if we don't go to work due to impending blizzard: FAIL. too sick to even go outside.

being sick from tuesday morning until the end of friday really destroyed all of last week's plans. was feeling mostly normal by saturday, but decided rather than risk putting stress on a pretty weakened body, i'd just get generally active again rather than training for the rest of last week - did 3hrs of snowboarding on saturday (and biffed once, straining one of my abdominal muscles - crap!), then 2hrs of snowshoeing on sunday.

this week's goals:
- 3 runs, starting small.
- 3 bike
- 5 core/strength w/2 full workouts
- 2 swim
- xc-ski this weekend

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Last week's goals: With K in-house, it will be a lighter week, and I'll have to be creative in my planning. => K was home sick one day and I lost a complete day to "day 1" of the cycle, so 2 days of ZERO this week :-(
Run 4x (Tue/Thurs with dog in morning; Wed and Fri at work) => DONE and feeling good, fast.
Swim 2x (Thurs lunch and Sun am before superbowl) => FAIL, only swam once.
Ride 2x (Sat am and Sun am post swim before superbowl) => FAIL only rode once but it was a 3hr MTB ride which kicked my ass.
Ugh it sounds complicated before even posting it.

This week: THE BIG WEEK (25 days til IMNZ)
Run 4x (M/F at lunch; T/R in the morning; if time, short run off the bike)
Swim 3x (T/R at lunch; St or Sun morning)
Ride 4x (2x to and from work with some extra circuitous routes in there; 1xMTB ride; 2x 3-4hrs on trainer or outside)
Try not to sabotage myself with food. Try to get enough sleep.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goal: Finish the Rocky Raccoon 100 mile trail run.

Update: Done and done! I finished in 26:33 and earned my first 100 miler buckle. I haven't processed the whole ordeal yet from my flight being canceled to be rerouted half way across the country to running for 26:33 hours. I'll post it for those who are interested once its written. So far I am feeling better than I expected. I have a couple of tender blisters and can't move fast but I can move. Mentally I am ecstatic.

This week's goals: Rest up and hopefully get a short run/walk in later in the week to help loosen things up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals, no goals.

Ended up doing yoga (joined Core Power Yoga, officially got my membership, so I'm bound!) 9 x, and 3 trainer rides, 1 outdoor bike ride, 1 swim...

Looooooooving yoga, never knew it was possible! I like the challenge it's been giving me, mostly because I got really burnt out of triathlon...and am a little over it. I like the new challenges though...super refreshing...though I'm sore as hell. :)
Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? 2/7 - 2/13 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YEAH!

Can't wait to read the RR.

Quote Reply
Re: How'd you do? 2/7 - 2/13 [trikitty57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, 9 yoga classes is a lot in a week!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hehe...I'm not doing much else though...so my resting heart rate is likely pretty high right now. hahaha

I also get sucked into..."if this is unlimited, I want to get the most out of my monthly membership!" so really...it's a money-thing. Hehe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
swim x3 - 2
bike x2 - 2
run x6 - 5
core x6 - 3

I was doing really great, right on track up until the weekend, and then first, I got involved in a few sewing projects, then went rock climbing and was so SORE from it, and then, oh that silly Superbowl thing (GO PACK GO!!!) that I didn't process was this weekend when I wrote my goals. So pretty much did ZERO over the weekend. Oh well, better next week! Also ate a ton of crap (went out to eat twice, then ate free pizza after the rock climbing, then superbowl food), so that needs to not happen again this week, ick. I also tweaked my hip a little running in the snow mid-week, but it seemed to respond really quickly to icing and stretching, so I will probably baby it a little this week, but it shouldn't affect anything too much.

Goals this week!
swim x3
bike x2
run x6
core x6

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply