Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have gone to a Chiro that a friend recommended to me twice this week. He has performed both an adjustment on my SI joint which was almost immobile and ART on my TFL. I am feeling better from both. I have not tried to run yet, will keep resting it awhile to see but I am encouraged so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
POsted on another thread but will update here. No running for 6 weeks, tried a 10 min and a 12 min run and the pain returned immediately. Don't know where to turn next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is so frustrating! I still haven't kicked my TFL pain, but at least I've been able to run all this time. I've been discharged from PT, though, so not sure what's up next... Have a follow-up with my doctor next week, perhaps she'll have some ideas. Are you still in PT for your issue? Haven't seen your other thread, but maybe you're getting some good ideas over there.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [Margo Plicatus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, still having the pain. The Chiro work along with ART, Foam Roller, and PT exercises does not seem to be doing that much for it. It seems that rest from running is the only thing that helps.
I did not a sprint tri yesterday that ended with a 5K and the pain at the top of my iliac crest started about 10mins into the run and it still a bit tender today.
I am going to see another Sports Med Dr. this week or next (I hope) to get a third opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I saw my doctor Friday and she said I'm one of a handful of people she's seen with localized pain where the hip flexor tendons insert on the iliac crest. She said I might consider giving acupuncture a try, because she's seen it help some people, and her only other suggestions were to just give it time and continue stretching my hip flexors daily, (they're still somewhat tight on that side) and possibly try platelet rich plasma. I'm skeptical, but have an appointment for acupuncture tomorrow. PRP isn't covered by insurance, and I'm a student living on loans, so I'm not even considering that. Let me know if your third opinion has any great ideas!
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [Margo Plicatus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly will let you know. The pain is so localized it just seems that stretching is not the way to go. I will check into some other treatment methods and post here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, and be careful, if you ignore it, you can tear it. This is sort of important because it is how your IT band connects to your hip.

"It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So happy to find this thread. I am wondering if I also have issues with the TFL.

I ran NYCM in November, ran low mileage for a couple of weeks before ramping back up for the Houston Marathon in January. The week before Christmas, I went out for an easy 3-miler and noticed that my hip was achy and tight. As the evening went on, the ache became more painful so I iced, stretched and foam rolled. Two days later, I ran 6 miles - the hip was achy the 1st couple of miles, but seemed to get better. Again, after the run, the pain got worse. I rested a few more days before doing my final long run before Houston - 18 miles. Same thing - the hip was achy at 1st, but seemed to get better as I warmed up. Two days later, I attempted a 4-miler and every step was excruciating. I had to turn around and come home. At the time, I was also biking and swimming, so I stopped running but continued with the other activities (trying to also train for a 70.3). The hip continued to hurt, so after a few more days I stopped everything and saw a Chiropractor. At this point, I was limping and daily activities like getting dressed, getting in and out of bed, in and out of the car and walking were painful.

The Chiro felt that it was a case of tendonitis and thought that with a couple of treatments that I could still run Houston (by then it was only 1 1/2 weeks away). After my initial visit with massage, electric stimulation and adjustments, I was feeling better - I could walk without wincing and almost get dressed with no pain. The Dr gave me some exercises and stretches to do at home and I did them faithfully. That weekend, I tried a 4-miler and the intense pain came back. I went in for a 2nd treatment and again, I felt better. At this time, I also saw an Orthopedic who took x-rays and confirmed the Chiro's tendonitis diagnosis. He gave me some Celebrex samples and a RX. He also felt I could run the marathon without making the injury any worse. I went back to the chiro one more time, got taped up with Kinesio tape and was prepared to at least attempt the marathon...until I attempted to run the day before. It was excruciating both to put weight on the leg and lift it. I did not do my marathon.

So I just switched to a Chiro who specializes in ART. He felt the pain was actually in my rectus femorus, but after reading more about the TFL, I think he might be wrong. After 3 ART treatments, I am still not able to run. I ran 2-miles last week and felt pain - first toward the back (glutes) and then in the front. Granted, it was not as intense as the pain before the Houston Marathon, but it was bad enough to make me want to stop running and go back home.

I guess I typed all this to say that you might want to get a 2nd opinion, but it may not help. I am beginning to think that the hip is much more complex than I realized and that doctors can only guess and make suggestions...those guesses aren't always right. I've also read a lot about various hip injuries and it seems that the hip can take a long time to heal! Not really what I wanted to hear, especially since I was trying to train for a 70.3! I hope you have better luck than I have had in getting answers and getting back to 100% soon!
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [aggiegrad96] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aggiegrad96 wrote:
I am beginning to think that the hip is much more complex than I realized and that doctors can only guess and make suggestions...those guesses aren't always right. I've also read a lot about various hip injuries and it seems that the hip can take a long time to heal! Not really what I wanted to hear, especially since I was trying to train for a 70.3! I hope you have better luck than I have had in getting answers and getting back to 100% soon!

Yes- I think you are right. It took a massage therapist, several chiropractors and several PTs to fix me. And yes, it has been eight months of pain free and I have run 2 50ks, 1 50miler, a few marathons and no pain has come back.

The description of your pain, however, sounds quite different than mine. So it might be a completely different diagnosis/cause.

Keep trying different techniques, doctors, etc.; be patient and be pushy. You will heal!
Last edited by: npda: Feb 20, 12 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aggiegrad96 wrote:
So I just switched to a Chiro who specializes in ART. He felt the pain was actually in my rectus femorus, but after reading more about the TFL, I think he might be wrong.
Ive had an on going hip pain that has been (apparently) misdiagnosed for months.

Although I have an ache in my hip, it also manifests itself as hamstring weakness.'
Finally been disagnosed with chronic shortening of the illiopsoas muscles on my left side and shown how to release them myself.
After 1 day of self release, the pain has halfed and I can actually walk again without limping.

Ive also been told that my problem is actually very common and many people suffer from it, especially triathletes.
Something to think about.
Hope you get it sorted ASAP. being injured sucks!
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Although I have an ache in my hip, it also manifests itself as hamstring weakness.'
Finally been disagnosed with chronic shortening of the illiopsoas muscles on my left side and shown how to release them myself.
After 1 day of self release, the pain has halfed and I can actually walk again without limping. <<

What do they have you doing to release it?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trackie clm wrote:
What do they have you doing to release it?
Two things.
First is the typical iliopsoas stretch where with one knee on the ground, you step forward with the other leg and press the hips towards the ground, but you also need to reach up with the arm (same side you are stretching) and lean away. This greatly increases the stretch.

The other, and the one that really helped was to find the muscle in the abdomen (google it, its pretty easy to find once you know where to find it) and while lying on your back with your leg was bent towards your chest, apply very firm pressure with your fingers and then slowly extend the leg. Be warned, if you iliopsoas are tight this will be painful and you will feel a very deep pain, but the relief will also be instant.

You will need to do both for at least a few times per day for at least 3 weeks (or so I have been told)
Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I have all of these things. I now wear an SI belt all the time except for sleep since I need adjustment every visit (3x a week) at the PT office. Definitely helps! I hope all of you have better luck with getting these issues sorted. I have hypermobility in all joints and very lax ligaments, so my 6:05 miles were very jarring on the body. Now that I'm pregnant again it is even worse-- not just the running but the inability to stabilize the joints. =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Looks like I was completely wrong (as was the doctor)! I had an MRI and I have 3 issues - stress reaction on the right proximal femur, low grade tear on the illiopsoas and partial articular tear on the anterior labrum. No running (or anything high impact for 12 weeks) and no biking or swimming for the time being. :o/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how was your hip hurting that was "achy"? I ask because mine seems a bit different than what others have described.

Ran a half marathon a couple of weeks ago, first half was run pretty hard & I was probably heel striking pretty hard. I tend to otherwise have a fairly soft stride that trends towards midfoot (that's what happens when you're slow). The next day we went for an easy/slow 3mi hike that had some hills & stairs (Belle Meade). Nothing too strenuous, just fun. My hip was a bit achy after the half & everything was a bit sore during the hike but was ok. Fast forward, two runs during the week - hip starts hurting about 2-2.5mi in. Both runs around 4-5. Pain doesn't really get excruciating but is a present ache, very localized & way down in there on my hip. I guess if you made my waist a clock it would be about 2-2:30. But here's the deal, I can't find it - can't push on anything & locate it, doesn't get super bad if I sit for too long or stand for too long, lay on it or stretch things too much. If it's already aggravated the only time I can find it is by kicking my hip back & out (maybe extending out the joint? Think sticking your hip/butt out really far & sideways...) I get a little twinge when I stand up but mostly it's just a dull ache that's become more noticeable during/after each run. Didn't run for a few days last week, took Aleve fairly regularly, was going to try the long run on Saturday. Made it about 3 before it showed up & progressively got a little more persistant. Had to call the run at 8 when it flared into a sharp pain on two steps. I didn't want it to continue to get worse.

Rode my bike last night for about 13mi (first time since 10/10), had some steady hills...did some in & out of saddle climbing. Today I have barely sore hamstrings but my hip wasn't sore at all after the ride, just still the slight ache that seems to come & go (depending on my aleve intake & how long I've been still, apparently). Did a 5.3 trail run today that's some fairly rugged trail. Was taking it easy both up & down the hills trying to be easy on it. Right around 2.5 the dull ache started. I slowed way down & was really conservative all the way back but still had to pound a bit & it definitely fired up more. Now it's the tired/ache that's definitely letting me know it's there. I haven't taken any aleve since mid-morning so it's time. Icing doesn't seem to make much difference either, just makes me cold.

Anyone have any ideas? I still can't pinpoint the pain...it's down in there. I wish I could push on something or stretch something or bend somehow to make this better! I really don't want to go to a doctor...I have a lot of travel coming up sprinkled with a half marathon, sprint tri, marathon, the Women's Committee seminar (in St. Pete the day after St. A's!!!) & vacation....

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My hip was and still is some what "achy".

Ive got slack with my stretching and my symptoms are slowly coming back. :-(
It certainly wouldnt hurt for you to do the stretches Ive mentioned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I battled TFL pain after IMLP last year. It was ongoing for about 8 months and still occasionally nudges me. For the most part, it's gone though. I had IMS (Intramuscular stimulation) treatments, rolled around on a tennis ball (OUCH!) and strengthened glute medius and surrounding gluteal/hip stabilizing musculature. Also added vinyasa yoga twice weekly and things are much better. Fingers crossed that things will improve for you as well.

...oh ya...and I gave up running for many months too and now run mainly trails for the lesser impact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave in & went to the doc...had the x-rays & MRI, poked & prodded. Just returned from the follow-up with a good dose of cortisone in my hip. Not thrilled but it's good to know that it wasn't all in my head & it wasn't necessarily just a muscle strain. Now I have to officially baby my hip for the rest of the month & just get through the marathon. I was doing the stretches/exercises 2-3x/day - clamshells, fire hydrants, monster walks & some balance work. Now I get to continue to ice & advil & reintroduce short runs as long as I don't push hard or run wonky.

Have another shot slated for the day before the run (I'll be out of town until then). Then I lay off running for a month or so. Not a thrilling diagnosis but hopefully it works & I'm patient enough to let it be. Then I can build slowly back into comfortable running to enjoy some late summer/fall/winter running again.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious to see how your hip is doing afer your cortisone injection? I hope it helped!

I am scheduled to get an injection on kenalog on Thursday. I hope I have good results!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the first injection on 4/5/12, the second on 4/27. The first seemed to do a great deal of good, my hip wasn't really hurting when I got the second one. There was a ton of travel involved between the two, including some very long car rides & flights, much time at sales conferences on my feet (may or may not have worn heels most of the time...). There were only a couple of times that my hip would feel "tired" at the end of the day. Not really achy or hurting, but just tired..like something isn't 100% but wasn't bad. I ran and walked quite a bit between them as well. I got the second shot more as a deterrent than anything else, I ran a marathon the next day. Of course it was fine the whole time - no real pain or discomfort or even that tired feeling. Every other time I've run marathons my hips are always sore....but this time it was almost purely my feet (also "normal" for post-marathon for me).

So I'd say it's done great & I feel great. I've not run since the marathon though and will be starting back very slowly over the summer. My plan is to build consistency & endurance. I don't really intend to do much/any speedwork. The strengthening exercises are crucial, in my opinion.

What's kenalog? I asked what I was actually being injected with & have long-since forgotten the actual name. I remember that it was cortisone, maybe a bit of anti-inflam & a long-acting numbing agent. I don't guess it really matters though...

The day/night of the first one it was really achy overall. It was just that tired, uncomfortable, achy feeling. And the injection spot actually itched for about a day. But it wasn't too bad. A little advil & ice helped all of that. Good luck, hope it helps you too!!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hAve the same injury. It has taken 5 months to get a proper diagnosis. I was training for a half marathon last spring. After hill training and speed work I started to get pain in left hip just behind the illiac crest. I took IBP for the pain to start with. I would get a real lower back ache after each run and my hips were sore. The TFL area would be tender to the touch and eventually I couldn't put any weight on my left leg, I would have to pull myself up the stairs usin g the hand rail. I had physio and saw my chiro, but nothing worked. Took a six week break and then ran my race in August. I have been out of commission since then! I had exrays and a bone scan and finally an ultrasound of the muscle. My doctor suspected I had torn my gluteal medius, due to the weakness on my left side, so he was quite surprised to see a tear in the TFL. He gave me a shot of cortisone 5 weeks ago, I was pain free the next morning for the first time in 5 months. I was doing great, started doing short runs three times a week and lots of hip excercises with weights in the gym. The pain has returned again at the illiac crest and it pulls with every heel strike. It's been several months now, and it hasn't healed. I see my doctor again next month, so I'm hoping he will give me another shot of cortisone. I don't think there is anything else he can do for me. I'm wondering if I will ever be able to run again.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had exactly the same pain last year training for a half. Once I started speed work and hills it got to the point I couldn't put much weight on that left side and way too painful to run on, even walking caused me to limp. Finally got an ultrasound of muscle and discovered a tear in the TFL. Quite rare I'm told. I would be very careful not to push it, as if it tears like mine has, it's extremely painful and you won't be able to do any weight baring excercise. I have had a shot of cortisone and that has enabled me to start short 5k runs, first time pain free in 6 months. It's been 7 weeks since the shot and it's starting to ware off. I'm getting that pain behind illiac crest. 10 months now and not healed.:(
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Hip pain: Tensor fasciae latae [Underpar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your injury sounds very frustrating.

I had the same pain awhile ago when I started this thread, but ART and graston techniques healed it completely for me. I did not tear mine though. I didn't have any cortisone shots. Don't give up on running! If one thing doesn't work, try something else, or another doctor. Keep trying! However, tearing will result in scar tissue, and someone good at ART can work out that scar tissue. Strength training is obviously good, but in conjunction with actual treatment of the injury in my (non-medical) opinion is critical.

It finally cleared completely for me in 2011 and since then I have run almost a dozen ultra races including a 100k and 100miler. And at my low point, I didn't think I would run again either.

Don't give up, please!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have pain walking when the pain is bad? Do you know if the TFL is actually torn? I went for a 5k run yesterday and my pain is right back to where it was 6 months ago. I'm have trouble walking today, and constant pain sitting. I'm going to need ibuprofen. The cortisone shot has obviously worn off completely. I see my doctor in 2 weeks, I'm hoping I can get another shot. I'm going to try the one legged squats. How does one change their running form? I had been doing many strength excercises while the cortisone was working, and I had noticed a quite an improvement on the weak side, but it hasn't made any difference. :-(
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so glad to have found this post, and am encouraged to hear you have returned to some awesome racing. I have been dealing with the exact issue you described for 11 weeks now with minimal improvements. I've been going to PT and they have been doing trigger point dry needling on all the muscles that lead into the hip. I'm able to run 2 miles and feel it slightly while running and then it gets angry and sore for the rest of the day after. When cycling (even on my TT bike) and swimming do nothing to cause irritation and pain. Do you think I should take off time completely from running, biking, and swimming, or stick with what doesn't irritate it. Also anti-inflammatory drugs or no? Lastly, the my physical therapist noticed that when I try to do a small single leg squat my knee wants to go in quite a bit, and when I run for her barefooted she sees that knee dipping in slightly when on that leg. She feels that I'm still having issue because of that imbalance and I was wonder the best way to strength that leg. I plan on doing Coach Jay - Hip Myrtle Routine (Search YouTube), foam rolling, Hot Yoga, stretching, and trigger point ball work. Thank you for your responding any and all.
Quote Reply

Prev Next