Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hip injuries?
Quote | Reply
In reading threads through here recently it seems a lot of us have had hip injuries. I am curious - what was your hip injury, do you know what caused it, how did treat it?

SI joint dysfunction is somewhat common in runners/triathletes. Labral tears are pretty common in the entire population but asymptomatic in most people (of course, if you're running a lot they're not ;-). I guess my current question is if females experience more hip injuries than males.

my data point: psoas tendonitis, 2 cortisone shots + PT, also have a small labral tear that may or may not be symptomatic (we can't decide if it's the labrum or the psoas that causes me pain). This acts up most for me when I am cycling on the trainer and if I get sloppy with run form, particularly running fast. Strengthening glutes has helped a lot.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Hip injuries? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some labral tears in both hips. The tears in one hip were likely caused in a bike crash. The other were just there (minor impingement, also) and got worse b/c as my knee got worse and worse. I manage them with PT and strength work...they aren't perfect, and they can nag at me, but not enough to warrant getting them scoped.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diagnosis: very tight illiacus, hip flexors and TFL. Glutes no longer engaged and firing during running stride and the aforementioned parts "took over." This probably stemmed from pulling/straining a glute and my body adapted over several months. Note to people: if you notice a strained glute, get it fixed asap! Don't do what I did and ignore it.

Felt like: Painful illiac crest on the backside- felt like it was bruised. After sitting for long periods, getting up and feeling pain on the side of the hip. Leaning toward nonaffected side and in pain. Painful while running in general, and especially while running uphill, and worse after run. No pain during cycling or swimming.

Treatment: ART on the tight tissues, icing after activity, some use of rocktape, and strengthen, strengthen those glutes, hamstrings and quads on affected side. Foam roll IT and hip flexors. Note: Time OFF did NOTHING to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip injuries? [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's rocktape?

Did ART get rid of the iliacus tightness?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rocktape is another version of kinesio tape

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ART has helped with the illiacus. I still have two more weeks of it, so I'll let you know if it gets completely rid of it. It is still there a bit. But the tightness has improved immensely from 7 sessions over two weeks so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still have my iliac crest pain - was in the front and now is in the middle. Not painful when I swim/bike but a little tight. Did not run for 6 weeks while getting Chiro adjustment, ART, and stretching/foam roller on IT Band & Glute all the way to the crest. Tried a 10 min run and a 12 min run - 4 days apart. Immediate pain on the crest and I am very bummed.

Not sure what to do or who to see next. Hip Dr. just prescribed PTv- which turned out to be a guy who didn't listen to my symptons and simply wanted me to stretch like some inactive senior citizen! Very bummed out with am impending Half Iron to do soon without any running and an IM looming over the summer...
Quote Reply
Re: Hip injuries? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
find a different PT.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always suffered from hip issues. Same as you guys, turns out all caused by weak glutes.
Tight tfl inhibits correct functioning of glutes, which are major stabilisers, and injury is the inevitable result.

Hip labral tear last year meant I could not even run for a bus and was trying to train for my first IM. Not fun!

Finally decided to do strength work in gym, and now go religiously twice a week. Doesn't mean I dont have any injury issues at all now, but strong core has limited problems and improved my lower back issues also.

I always find it amusing when I see a debate as to whether strength/core wore is important for tri.... some people are biomechanically very sound and do not need much, but the majority of us out there need to spend time on this stuff.
I wish I had a long time ago!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
find a different PT.

I found a new Sports Med Doc who is an Ultra Runner and IM Finisher. He diagnosed my injury as Dead Butt Syndrome, really my TFL/Glute Medius.
THe first session of ART brought a little relief and I am performing strengthening exercises instead of just the stretching.
He remains confident that we can solve it so I feel a little better but time will tell. The Sports Med guy is Dr. Bright - mentioned in this article.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/...-dead-butt-syndrome/

More updates as my treatment progresses.
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had hip issues all year last year - IT, SI, Adductor - no matter what I did I had horrible pain during and after running. Finally mentioned it to my GYN who found uterine prolapse and adenomyosis - which she felt like has been causing my hip and lower back pain for the past year. Hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and yesterday I had my first pain free run in a year!
Quote Reply
Re: Hip injuries? [coachkati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What an incredibly unlikely diagnosis! Wow. Sounds like you recovered well. Congrats on being able to run pain free again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been plagued by them for the last 3 years. Only on my right side. Doing core and glut medial exercises help. Right now I've got a pain that feels like it comes from the base of my hip socket, it's achey not sharp and gets worse if I sit a lot. Also if I run long distances and then stop to walk, it's really painful. I've never had this one before...sound familiar to anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Hip injuries? [tallgirlNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sitting shortens our hip flexors and psoas tendons. Stretch those - and stand up to work if possible.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Dr. wants to perform a Trigger Point Injection on my TFL. Anyone with experience with one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received my trigger point shot yesterday in my TFL - Lidocane and Steroid. So far the results are promising - almost no pain at my Iliac Crest and with movement.
Tomorrow I will try a short run. If this does work I will be unhappy I spent the last two months getting ART when a shot could have fixed it a long time ago.

But...time will tell. More to follow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was 12 I had a serious bike accident that laid me up for 6 weeks, fell off a boys road bike that was way too big for me, ouch! No physio, massage, chiro, nothing at the time of the accident, it was in the mid 70's. Now over 30 years later, was JUST finally diagnosed with Osteitis Pubis Syndrome, which in my case can't really be fixed. . Long story short, no more crunches or situps. Adductors, obliques, rectus abodonimis will always be affected. Psoas, glutes tfl will always be an issue. First muscle to fire when running...my obliques? Wow 30 years of constant issues, xrays, chiros, ART, steriods, all I needed was someone who knew something!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have fibrous dysplasia in my left femoral neck... fractured it two thirds of the way through before I found out! Had a reconstructive surgery in 2008 and now have 3 decently sized screws holding it together. Have continued to have issues with my left leg since the surgery, whether it's back in the hip or quite a few tibial stress fractures. Have about a 1/2 inch leg length discrepancy, and don't know if that's a result of the surgery or if it was like that previously, but it's definitely the root of the tibial fractures! Haven't figured it out yet... and am back to my sports med doc on Thursday for some radiography. Feels like this one is down near the medial malleolus and almost like there's a chip of bone floating around in there or something.... we'll see!

_____

Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip injuries? [Dr.TriRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We hadn't heard from you in awhile and I've been wondering how you were. I wish you the best of luck with the fx healing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I am pregnant and while taking morning walk I feel some pain in my hip on right side. Why this is happening and what should I do?

Bike Racks
Quote Reply
Re: Hip injuries? [rogernelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um, how pregnant? where in the hip? If you're past 20-25 weeks and the pain is on the inside/front of the kip, your hips are just starting to widen (open up). It feels like really sore/stiff muscles. It will last 5-10 weeks. Keep walking. Don't over stretch it.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Hip injuries? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm pretty sure that's just a spammer posting to get their "bike racks" link seen.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I wondered the same thing... oh well, I'm sure they'll be blocked soon.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Hip injuries? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had SI joint pain/ sciatica during all three of my pregnancies off & on & in between the last ones...I went to multiple Dr's, PTs, x-rays, chiropractors, mri, even an epidural....physical therapy & electric stimulation helped a bit, but not much...what has totally eased all of my pain is switching to vibrams! It seems crazy to me, but I used to be in horrible pain daily & now I am virtually pain free! Good luck, I know how agonizing it can be!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the past few months my pt thought I had tendonitis in my tfl. time off and physio seemed to help until it came back once i started to build up my running again. saw a new sports doctor and now it seems that it was a functional leg length discrepancy (from imbalances in the muscles around the hip) which can become a major issue if you're pushing your body. strengthening and stretching seem to be the way to go again but its been very touch and go so far

-------------------------------------------------------------
http://rskubel.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next