Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High Heel Advice
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend has recently started wearing high heels for the first time in her life. She really likes the shoes, how they look, and ow they make her taller. But the problem is that all of the shoes she has give her blisters and pains when she wears them for any period of time and it becomes an unpleasant experience

Any advice I can share with her on how to not experiencing pain in shoes that look great but feel awful?
Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoes that give me blisters I generally dump, unless they're leather/I think they can stretch. But if they're constantly giving her blisters, she might need different shoes (she could still wear heels).

She could also try lubing her feet.

What sort of pains is she getting? In the feet? Has she tried gel inserts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for her for exploring her sexier side! It is not too often that I wear flat shoes except tennis shoes, snow boots (but I always bring shoes to change into) and flip flops (but often times these even have a little heel).

The training wheels to stilettos - start with a mid-sized heel and a wider toe box. My heels are divided into two sets: pairs that I can walk around the mall in, comfortably and sexy hot, sacrificing any sense of comfort for fashion.

Here’s a nice mid-sized heel: http://shop.nordstrom.com/...&resultback=2925
Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

LOL, that's what I thought of first - bodyglide on feet!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
In Reply To:

LOL, that's what I thought of first - bodyglide on feet!
Ha! I thought the same. Your girlfriend needs to get those gel pads to place on the ball of the shoes so there is cushion. Also, she needs to start out with leather shoes as they stretch to fit her feet. Being that you are posting here for her, I assume you have little experience in this department so do her a favor and don't push the issue with the shoes. Heels are not made for every woman and are in no way, good for the feet but we like them.

Quote | Reply
Second the gel pads and gradually building up to the higher heel heights.

Also, I swear by Sofft brand heels which have some padding & are very comfortable. Cole Haan (w/ Nike Air!) and Geox also make 'comfort' heels that are still stylish (at least imho :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the Sofft brand shoes. They used to be kind of a granny brand, but have branched out into more of a fashion/comfort label. I'm not sure your gf's age/disposable income level, but you typically get what you pay for. Sofft run about $90, ColeHaan with Nike Air, $200+. Born is also coming out with some cuter, less clunky shoes in higher heel heights. Clark's Indigo label is cute/funky as well. Check out Zappos or ShoeFly.

I have lubed hot spots on my feet with Aquaphor. It works! I use the gel pads as well. As a rule I don't go higher than 3", 2.5" for work shoes. I can't fathom the 5" stillettos/platforms I see some women teetering around in.

We had a sexy shoe thread on here a few years ago. I'm sure you could dig it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure they are comfortable indoors before wearing them for a long time. If when she buys the shoes they hurt then that particular style/size is not the right one. Break your feet into them - short jaunts to start with.

And of course there are a few shoes in my stable that will always be painful - I try to only wear them when I know I will mostly be sitting ;)
Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She has already gotten an expensive collection of high heels that she likes, so the goal is to help make these existing shoes more comfortable.

The body glide seems like a good idea. Do the insoles prevent blisters or just make the shoes more comfortable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firstly, it's nice of you to ask these questions for her.

Like ALL new shoes, high heels need to be broken in before wearing them.
The easiest way to do this, I've found, is to put on a thick pair of socks, put the shoes on and wear them around the house. This helps to loosen the upper faster than just putting the shoe on the naked foot. Some shoes take longer to break in than others so she will need to take her time. It might take a few days to get them to the point where they're comfortable enough to wear out of the house.

I'm sure she's the same as any woman and wants to wear the shoes as soon as she buys them... But tell her to be patient. Breaking them in first will save a lot of pain and discomfort in the long run.
Last edited by: mrsshowpony: Jan 18, 11 19:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
im not a fan of high heels, heres a good article that explains a few of my thoughts. again, i'm not yelling, my tone is me being nice. =)

http://www.dailycampus.com/...-of-sexism-1.1304787

TEAM GREEN
SWIM - CYCLE - RUN - VEGAN

Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [Ted Trendy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't care for them too much either but she loves them.

Your article is silly. Women like heels because:
a) they make themselves taller and closer in height to men
b) They tense the muscles in the legs, making them look better and less flabby
c) they are pretty, and girls like pretty things
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also they affect posture so that the posterior and chest are rolled outwards.
Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [mayhew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there's medical evidence to support your statement... but personally, I disagree. I think I slouch more in flats and shuffle my feet when I walk - in heels, you have to be really conscious of your posture: stand up taller, pick up your feet when walking, and walk solidly, with confidence (or else you'll wobble in the heel).
Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're making the same point. Get the best posture you can. Your roll your lumbar spine forward and out goes the chest and posterior.
Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [Ted Trendy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ted Trendy wrote:
im not a fan of high heels, heres a good article that explains a few of my thoughts. again, i'm not yelling, my tone is me being nice. =)

http://www.dailycampus.com/...-of-sexism-1.1304787

Waaaayyy too much time on your hands. I'll bet you are loads of fun on a date. Don't eat that! Don't wear that! Take that leather bustier off (hmm..maybe not so bad)! How dare you oppress animals:-)

My wife likes them for the same reason I do, she looks good in them. The height of the heels lately is amazing. I was sitting on the university commencement stage this year and watching those young women navigate the steps in 4-6 inch heels and a graduation gown was hilarious. Such concentration, if they had applied that much concentration to school they would all be cum laude.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [NCtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im pretty much considered the life of the party. just cause i have certain beliefs doesnt mean i talk about them non stop in public, i only brought it up because i thought it fit the thread. im not a fan of high heels, makeup, lots of things. anyways i've never had complaints on dates, chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual.

TEAM GREEN
SWIM - CYCLE - RUN - VEGAN

Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a biomechanical, postural or medical reason there is very little reason to support high heels. They shorten your calf muscles, cause more extension in your low back, round your thoracic kyphosis and strain your neck/head position. They are almost the modern equivalent of Chinese dynasty foot binding.

But damn.....they certainly do look sexy.

My wife only wears high heels nowadays when she's dressing up. She doesn't want to be wearing them all day when chasing after her grade three students.:-)
Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They only look pretty because you are conditioned to think of them as pretty. Damn social conditioning and the pain women endure to look "pretty".
Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [Hotfly1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that almost all men find high heels on women to be sexy, and women wouldn't wear them if that wasn't the case, but at least I appreciate the discomfort and awkwardness that they must create. Of course things can be taken to extremes like six inch heels for example. Imagine trying to walk in these things. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: High Heel Advice [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A note on shoe material choice: Walking into a department store these days, it seems most of the shoes are made in China of cheap synthetic materials. When it comes to high heels, this is an unnatural position for your foot, so it's already uncomfortable. Keeping that in mind, I always spend the extra $$ for heels with leather straps & insoles. I find the leather chafes less, wears better, lasts longer, and once you break the shoe in, it stretches out comfortably whereas the synthetic materials crack or continue to bite back! Plus, practice makes perfect : )
Quote Reply