Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hey Ladies
Quote | Reply
Haha, I'm a boy

I just started triathlon about 2 years ago. So I am still new.
I have recently started dating a girl who just did a Try-A-Tri with me, and enjoyed it.

With winter season approaching, I am wanting to get her a somewhat fancy bike, and trainer so she can be ready for next season.

She is about 5"4, which size triathlon bike frame should I be looking to get her?
I'd love to pay under 1000, but am open to higher if its nice carbon!
Also would that be 700 tires?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Ladies [Shea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you SUUUUUUREEEE you want to spend $1000 on a girlfriend you recently started dating?
Remember...it is a gift that you can never take back.
I would personally put $1000 towards a ring before I were to put $1000 towards a gift. I mean...if you are going to stay with her for a long time, it makes more sense, right?
Last edited by: lifejustice: Oct 10, 12 13:36
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Ladies [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha, i know i know, im not looking to buy like TODAY

but i like to browse my local classified ads, and if a really good one pops up, ill take a look at it!

i just want to know what sizes are acceptable

I bought a 54cm cervelo, but it has like a rather high extended seat, and long handle bar stem to make it fit, i'd be better in a 56
i'm 6"0 . 155lbs

she's around 5"4 i dont even know what that transmutes to in bikes! does she have to go with 650 bike tires?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your first post seems foolish given all of this is new to the two of you. If you buy the girl a bike and she will be rolling out to a race with another "boy." If she is interested in the sport, she will buy her own bike and a FITTING. Take your time Young Buck!

Quote | Reply
I think it is too hard to say what bike would work for her. If you ever read the tri forum you'll know that not every bike is a good fit for everyone. Why not ask her if that's what she wants for Christmas then look together? She might not even want it.

Plus the whole new relationship thing. Dangerous to drop that kind of bank on a new relationship unless you are rolling in cash. If you were I doubt you'd have a budget :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will answer the question you asked because others have already given good advice of wisdom of your choice.

As a short person myself, I can confidently say that anyone under ~5'5" is going to be faster on a bike set up with 650 wheels. Therefore, you would look for an XS or maybe a frame in the high 40's size (47-49).

Hope that helps and I wish you success with your budding relationship. I, like the others, think this is a bad idea, but you didn't ask that question ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Ladies [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geeze... here's a guy who wants to buy a gal a gift. A pretty nice gift. And we are trying to talk him out of it. Let him buy her a bike. How would you like it if you found out a bunch of people talked someone out of buying you something ;-)

Seriously, let him buy the bike. If it doesn't work out between the two of them, who cares, maybe he'll learn from his foolishness, but she'll have a BIKE!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Ladies [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This! What she said. We should quit being mama bears if he wants to think about it. If he has reason to think twice, he will.

She'll probably be a small, or around a 50. I'm GUESSING, given that I'm close to 5'6", have a weirdly short torso & long arms/legs & I ride a small or 52/54.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2. I'm 5'4" with a short torso (this is typical of women) and a 30" inseam (also fairly typical of women my height). I ride a 48cm Cervelo with 650 tires, and it fits me like a glove. Women the size of your girlfriend and me don't always have to ride 650 wheels, but I can tell you that I've owned bike with 650s and bikes with 700s, and the ones with 700s just didn't work for me as well as the ones with 650s.

My suggestion: If you see something in the classifieds that looks good, ruin the surprise, tell your girlfriend that you are looking at buying her a bike, and ask her to go with you to check out the bike. That way she can test-ride it and tell you if it feels good or is too big or small. You do NOT want to buy her a bike that she hates, but rides because she doesn't want to hurt your feelings.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Ladies [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Story of my life. Had a girlfriend and bought her a handmade english bike frame (1982) for Christmas. 2 weeks later we broke up. No biggie, it was right for both of us, and she enjoyed the bike.

Year later, met my now wife on a bike ride. A buddy and I helped people do complete overhauls teaching them how to repair, so I offered this cute girl the offer, which she accepted. 2 months later, basically living together, we ordered a custom frame from a famous builder, she bought, we both put it together. Many miles later, 2 kids, tandems, mountain bikes, carbon, etc our bikes are sitting next to each other in the front hall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'4" (i think that's what it converts to) and ride a 51 (road bike). Not sure if there is a huge difference in frame size numbers between road and tri, but from all the answers from the short people here, looks like she really needs a fit before a bike. I have 2 kids who have the Exact Same Height sitting down. Standing up, one has a good 5cm on his brother. One is all legs and no torso and the other is normal. My girls are the same. One is All legs and the other normal. I really think your GF needs a fit - and honestly, that might be a better gift than the bike...

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a girlfriend who bought me a nice Tribike. We broke up 3 weeks later, asked her if she wanted me to take it back, she said no it was a gift. Still have the bike and still love it. That was 5 years ago. My current girlfriend is your friends size and rides a 49.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm 5'4 and ride a 47 tri bike and 49 road bike. Different manufacturers will be a better than others depending. She should get measured/fit to be sure.
Last edited by: slowsbr: Oct 14, 12 21:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
I will answer the question you asked because others have already given good advice of wisdom of your choice.

I appreciate this, and have a lot of sizes to look for! I'm in a small city, so don't worry this bike probably won't pop up! :P

Thanks for the replies ladies, I don't need this thread anymore!
Quote Reply