Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with woman's bike purchase
Quote | Reply
So a friend is buying her first road bike (she wants to keep it under $1k), I know nothing about women's bikes - here's where you come in! What's good, what should she avoid, and is there actually any benefit to the difference in geometry or will she be fine on a non-women designed bike. Thanks much for any help (and PirateGirl for being so awesome).

------------------------------------------------------------------
Avoiding saddle cancer since '08
Quote Reply
Re: Help with woman's bike purchase [pegis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're welcome. I bet over here some people who have bought a woman's specific and also an androgynous bike will chime in and give some good info.

This is the time of the year to get good deals on bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How tall is she? Is she open to buying used? And is she counting accessories (shorts, helmet, shoes, pedals, etc.) into her budget, or os the $1000 bike only?

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help with woman's bike purchase [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's 5'4", open to buying used, and has a helmet. I explained the accessories deal to her, and she seemed skeptical about clip-less but some people are just scared at first. She isn't counting them into price, just the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I would have her go try as many bikes as she thinks she might be interested in...and then shop ebay, once she knows exactly what size she is and what kind of stuff she's looking for. If she's a total newb, she's got to narrow the field somehow.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me personally, a bike purchase should be fun! Take her around and make it a day of shopping. She should see what's out there and what she can get in her price range. Have fun!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With that price bracket her best bet will be used. The nice thing about buying a road bike is that the fit isn't nearly as finicky as with a tri bike. She'll be looking at something in the 48 range, or an XS if they do t-shirt sizing. Given that she's new to riding the key to her being comfortable will be the saddle, reach, and then the roads where you take her out.

Flat pedals with (loose) toe clips may actually be a good starting point as she may be nervous about having her feet "stuck" to the pedals.

Any road bike in her size with 105 or thereabouts components will do her well as long as it hasn't been ridden to death. Then the key will be getting her comfortable not sitting bolt upright as she may remember from riding as a child, and on the road.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Help with woman's bike purchase [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We went with what I deemed the "shoe sale" approach, and she ended up with a Specialized. Thanks for the help, it made my life easier!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure she gets FIT on her bike - that's the most important thing and will save her a lot of time, heartache and make it so more enjoyable!!
Go Girl! It's one of the best sports to get involved in.
Quote Reply