Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help with Chocolate
Quote | Reply
I want chocolate all the time. Dark chocolate. Like 70% or more
What's the best way to take care of this without derailing my committment to healthy eating?
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Chocolate [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pre-run snack in the evening is a medjool date torn in half, pit removed, and then used as a scoop for about 1/2tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder. I buy the higher fat content cocoa (they call it "ruddy red") and it's bloody marvellous.

Before bed I have one single square of Lindt Excellence 90%, eaten in little nibbles. It seriously takes me over 5mins to eat one 1.5" square.

Between those two, I can usually quell chocolate cravings. If I'm desperate, a mashed banana mixed with 1-2tbsp of cocoa powder and 1tsp of almond butter is an amazing chocolate pudding, or mashing and whipping raw avocado with cocoa powder, a bit of almond butter and maple syrup makes a silky chocolate mousse.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I wonder if the 35 views and 1 response has to do with no one having solutions... :P

I have no real advice. If I have it in the house (whatever "it" is) I will eat until it is gone. If I don't have it - I can be disciplined enough not to buy it.

Sorry for no magic solution - just know you are not alone in this type of dilemma.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Chocolate [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No solution to stopping the craving but what I've been doing, about 90% of the time, is eat my sugar late afternoon before my run. Gives me the zoomies and satisfies my cravings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Chocolate [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I eat one square of the Lindt Dark Chocolate With A Hint of Sea Salt every evening and that usually takes care of it for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dark chocolate actually has health benefits, as long as you're not eating the whole bar in one sitting.

http://www.webmd.com/...is-healthy-chocolate
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Chocolate [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If only it were that easy!!! I have no "off" button when it comes to junk food/sweet stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd enjoy this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...edlinkusaolp00000003

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One square at a time!!???!! i can't buy the stuff because one square just doesn't cut it, and the next thing i know, the whole block is screaming at me from the cupboard to have just a bit more and a little bit more and then ... whaddaya know.. it's all gone! My solution is just not to have the evil goodness in the house.. and don't take $$ to work to buy at the 3pm craving moment from the cafeteria/vending machine. I find if i eat really well, i don't have the cravings but once i open that lovely little sweets/carbs box, all good intentions are out the window and it takes me DAYS if not weeks to get back on track again!

70% dark chocolate isn't that bad anyway, enjoy it if you can do moderation. (quite clearly, i am incapable of that though).

:P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:

Before bed I have one single square of Lindt Excellence 90%, eaten in little nibbles. It seriously takes me over 5mins to eat one 1.5" square.

-mistress k

that reminds me of the coffee scene in ally mc beal with ally and georgia.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this sounds silly, but on Weight Watchers I get 31 points a day, plus some weekly and activity points. 100 Kcal of 72 percent chocolate is 3 points. That's probably a square or two. Really just not worth it for me to blow my point value, esp. b/c/ I'm one who would eat the whole daggone bar. If I'm having a chocolate fix, I know it's junky but I go for the Fiber One 90 calorie dark fudge brownie bar. OMG, good. And only 2 points for the whole thing. It even has little chocolate chips in there. They also make a chocolate caramel pretzel one for 2 pts. Not particularly health-foodish, but it does the job. Fiber One also makes a chocolate cereal, 80 calories for 3/4 cup, which I think is 2 pts. Bonus: you get a TON of fiber, too.

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Chocolate [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
I wonder if the 35 views and 1 response has to do with no one having solutions... :P

I have no real advice. If I have it in the house (whatever "it" is) I will eat until it is gone. If I don't have it - I can be disciplined enough not to buy it.

Sorry for no magic solution - just know you are not alone in this type of dilemma.

x2

My first thought was very sacrastic about eating only chocolate and to hell w/ other food, so I decided best not to say anything. But I agree w/ the other posters. There is no easy solution.

But I do have a side of me that thinks life is short, and chocolate makes me happy and I am going to have some occasionally w/o guilt. The twist is having some and not all. I haven't solved that dilema yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you only knew the power of the dark side...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Chocolate [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
If you only knew the power of the dark side...

Love the rose on the side of the helmet!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Chocolate [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gogogo! wrote:
that reminds me of the coffee scene in ally mc beal with ally and georgia.....

I haven't the foggiest notion of what that might mean - I've never really watched tv much and haven't seen any Ally McBeal (no interest).

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Maybe it's not so bad to have chocolate, especially at breakfast.

Then you can have your cake (chocolate) and eat it too. Apologies, I am the person who thinks you can eat whatever you want as long as you stop eating when you're full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't watch tv either. i just saw it on netflix.

but - for clarification - ally teaches georgia how to savor her cappuccino.
here is the clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBrXby8BqgU
Last edited by: gogogo!: Mar 14, 13 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just thought I would mention I noshed on a vegan gluten free chocolate muffin and convinced myself it was OK.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
What's the best way to take care of this without derailing my committment to healthy eating?

Sorry to be lurking on the womens again. I have the same problem as you. I give into it. Two pieces of dark chocolate with at least 70% content isn't bad for you. I usually take two pieces of Lindt 70 or 85% and make a sandwich with a big glob of peanut butter, or maybe almond butter.

I have a business idea that I'm slowly trying to get going that involves dark chocolate! You're the dedicated kind of chocolate freak that I'm going to be preying on, and trust me, the product I have in mind is better than sex. Well maybe for the womens, because for the mens nothing is better than sex than sex!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Chocolate [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I've ever managed to eat just one square of chocolate. Four... I usually eat 4 squares I think. Whatever makes 220-250 calories.
Trader Joe's has "small" bars that come in packs of 3 that are 220-250 calories apiece. It is good chocolate and one of those bars seems to feel/be adequate for me.

I think the trick is to not eat crappy chocolate. M+Ms, for instance, are not chocolate. They are sugar colored brown. Eat them slowly and you can feel the sugar kind of crunch between your teeth. Real chocolate does not do that.

Chocolate I can handle. Pastries are a different story.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like cacao nibs; lately I've been having a teaspoon or two with a bit of coconut butter for dessert.

They're fairly bitter, so maybe an acquired taste...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My link doesn't work anymore. Here is the link that states, "Dieters have less hunger and cravings throughout the day and are better able to keep off lost weight if they eat a carbohydrate-rich, protein-packed breakfast that includes dessert." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...kfast_n_1628486.html

So go ahead and have some yummy chocolate at breakfast!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Chocolate [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool study. I want to be the statistician who gets to work with data like that...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:

Chocolate IS healthy eating. See? Rinny's having chocolate.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sure wish I had any sort of advice what-so-ever, but considering I just consumed 5 Reese's Mini PB Cups I have no will power ~ thus no way to help. Thank goodness there are no M&M's in this house or they would by MINE! More than the green beer I've had this afternoon - M&M's stand no chance against me!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply

Prev Next