Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help My Wife Find A Bike
Quote | Reply
Cindy has asked me (since she doesnt visit this site often) to see if anyone here can help her by recommending a tri bike that will likely fit her. She is 5'2" with shorter legs and a longer torso. She currently rides a Cannondale 44cm road bike and hasnt been able to find a tri bike company that makes a bike small enough for her. She is particularly interested in a Javelin Varese (sp?) 48cm. She has tried a Felt 50cm and Trek WSD47cm and they were both right on the edge of her comfort (still just a touch too tall / long - stretched out). I am sure this issue has been address before but I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Help My Wife Find A Bike [MarkK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd check out a Cervelo. No, really. I don't ride a Cervelo tri bike, but do ride one of their road bikes. I was just lucky enough to get to attend a test ride/wind tunnel/engineering info session with them recently (and tried one of their tri bikes then). They design their bikes in a way to make getting a fit easier for all heights, and had some very interesting points about the benefit of a women's frame and why they haven't done it. I'm not sure if they go small enough (I'm just under 5'4" and on a 48) but it might be worth checking out.

I do ride a Planet X tri bike, and I'm on a small from them. Since they do also make an XS and XXS you might want to check that out, too.

Those are the only ones I have experience with, but I really like them both.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they consider a size 48 Felt? It may be to short on top for her if she's all torso.

Have you considered custom? A good friend of mine who is 5'2 bought a custom Elite that she loves. She went out to Philly to work with them on her fit and she is VERY happy with her bike. This was not her first bike so she really appreciates finally being on a bike that fits her. And I don't think the price is outrageous either.
Quote Reply
Re: Help My Wife Find A Bike [racoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Did they consider a size 48 Felt? <<

That's what I was thinking. My shop has a 47 from last year that looks like a pretty nice little road bike.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help My Wife Find A Bike [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like a previous poster said, how about a custom frame? I was fit for a Guru a couple of weeks ago, and it was very thorough.
Found out that my torso is a bit longer than most females....so that's why I can never keep a shirt tucked in!!!!!!! hehe

If she does indeed have some different dimensions that would fix the problem.

Just my 2 cents.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had a look on the Planet x website . they do a xs and a xxs small carbon frame.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/...page&PAGE_id=328

and you can get it in pink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5' 2" and couldn't find a tri frame that I liked with the local selection so I went road. I got an Orbea Diva and I LOVE her. Carbon frame and super comfy.

Is she attached to the idea of a tri bike?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem. I am the same height and have very short legs. I was told I am build more like a man and cannot ride a "woman's bike"-some are specially made for more typical builds. That said, I have a Blue T-12 and am actually trying to sell it to upgrade to their newest model. If interested, let me know.

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a guru trilite for sale!! its a 48 with 650 wheels PERFECT for her. its a 2006 guru trilite. google it you will see Tom gave it great reviews. I will post pics tomorrow as I am out the door now. I am 5-6 and this bike would fit her like a glove. It has 172.5 cranks too!
In Reply To:
Cindy has asked me (since she doesnt visit this site often) to see if anyone here can help her by recommending a tri bike that will likely fit her. She is 5'2" with shorter legs and a longer torso. She currently rides a Cannondale 44cm road bike and hasnt been able to find a tri bike company that makes a bike small enough for her. She is particularly interested in a Javelin Varese (sp?) 48cm. She has tried a Felt 50cm and Trek WSD47cm and they were both right on the edge of her comfort (still just a touch too tall / long - stretched out). I am sure this issue has been address before but I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

2010: RR 100, BW, qualify for Kona at coz!!
Quote Reply
Re: Help My Wife Find A Bike [gurudude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am posting under MarkK's login because I don't visit this site often enough to get my own...but I guess maybe I should!
Anyway...the fit (according to my tribikefittingguru) isn't only one of comfort. If that were the case I could probably get by with a 47 or 48, my reach is long enough to accomodate the top tube, easily. His point is that even if I get onto one of those bikes, the seat will be dropped to all the way to the post and I won't get any more aero than I do on my roadie with the clip-on aero bars. His suggestion is that he could actually get me into a more aero position with a road frame, a forward post and tri bike bars/end shifters. I don't know...I'm concerned that there will be stability issues. I'm not competetive for the podium anyway, but I am planning to do IM 2009 (Madison) so I want to be stable and comfortable...of course I want to be as aero as I can, but a super agressive position isn't the top thing on my list right now.

I've considered a custom frame but I think that's probably cost-prohibitive. To those who have them or have checked into them, what are the actual costs like? If I have to fly somewhere to be measured that will take up a lot of my bike budget.

To the poster who said she's built more like a man and doesn't need the women's specific frame, I know where you're coming from! If they made bikes for short men, I would be on one for sure. As it is I had to switch out the narrow "ladies" handlebars on my roadie for standard width.

I know QRoo is coming out with a 44 cm women's tri bike for 2008 and I'm on an email waiting list for when it actually hits the streets. I may end up hanging my hopes on that.

I'll google the trilite...thanks again

Cindy
Last edited by: MarkK: Mar 23, 08 18:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since everyone was so helpful I went ahead and got own login...thanks again :)
Quote Reply
Re: Help My Wife Find A Bike [CindyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the site :)

Finding a good bike can be soooo hard... but also soooo worth it!

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Re: Help My Wife Find A Bike [CindyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cindy- don't make any final decisions until you check out Elite.
It sounds like I am almost the same size as you (just over 5ft tall, longish torso). For several years, I've been riding a Trek WSD 43cm road frame that I built up as a TT bike. It's been fine, but I really wanted to upgrade a little and get a real TT frame. After many consults and bike fittings, I was convinced I'd have to go custom (which is still out of my price range) until I tried Elite's T-class smallest stock frame (650c wheels). It is PERFECT. I don't know how fast it is yet since I haven't wanted to get it all salty on the WI roads, but the fit is great.
Vanessa
Quote Reply