Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hello! (new and stuff)
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone! (I hope intro-type posts aren't verboten)

I am new here and training for my first triathlon (Carlsbad Triathlon in July). I am thoroughly enjoying the training, though I do feel like I don't see much of my husband anymore, since I am always in the gym! I'm on week 4 of the training program that I am following (the beginners 11 week program on trinewbies, with the swim ratcheted up a bit, as the Carlsbad Tri is a 1k swim).

Now that I have proven that I am actually serious about it, my husband has stopped complaining about the cash I am about to drop on a bike. I am trying to decide between a Specialized Allez Triple, a Specialized Dolce or an REI brand Novarra Carema. It's a tough decision! If anyone has ridden any of those bikes, I'd love to hear your input.

Are there any athenas in this forum? I entered into the athena category for the triathlon, and I am pretty encouraged by the fact that this sport seems to take all shapes and sizes.

Happy weekend!

Jennifer

Triathlizer in the making
Mom of 2 crazy boys
Quote Reply
Re: Hello! (new and stuff) [jenrford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jennifer,

Welcome! I ride a Specialized Allez triple and LOVE it. I've been riding it in tri's for 3 years now and it has served me well from the sprint to the half-iron distance. It is however, my first and only road bike, so I can't really comment on how it compares to other brands (except for a loaner carbon Trek Madone, to which it is inferior-but for the thousands of dollars less that my bike costs, it's certainly not that inferior!) When I bought it, I rode a couple different brands on a trainer and it was the one that just "felt right." Do you have the option to try out the three models at the same store or are they in different places?

Good luck with your training. Technically, I am an Athena because I'm tall but I don't race as one because it doesn't feel right. I love that the category exists and that when I race I see people of all ages, shapes and sizes (usually passing me, but that's another story... )

Again welcome to the Womens forum and feel free to post any questions that come up. We were all newbies once upon a time and there are a lot of awesome ladies on this forum.

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello & welcome (to both the Slowtwitch Women's Forum and triathlons) -

Congrats on your training and glad to hear it's going well. Despite the elitist attitude of some of the men in the main forum, this sport really does accept everyone of every shape and size. One of the things I love is how supportive the tri community is of one another regardless of where you finish in the pack. I hope you go out and enjoy the day!

As for bikes - I haven't ridden any of those specifically though I would caution you against going out to get a bike right away - assuming you do have a bike to ride that is. Many of us here did our first tri - or first several tris - with minimal equipment and did just fine. In fact, my first tri was on an entry-level road bike while wearing running shoes and cage pedals. I didn't have a wetsuit so just swam in a regular suit and threw shorts and a (cotton!) tshirt on top and honestly I fit in just fine. Of all the fun gear out there to buy a bike is the most expensive so I'd recommend you spend some serious time researching exactly which bike it is you want to get and do a tri or two first to see if you do actually like the sport/atmosphere. As you mentioned in your post, training for tris can be pretty time consuming so after your first one you may decide that it was the best thing since sliced bread and want to dive in full-force (hopefully!) or that it's just not what you necessarily imagined and it's taking too much time away from husband/family to really be worth it.

Not saying don't buy a bike - but don't feel like you have to have all the gear and gadgets going into your first race.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome!

I second lilpups advice on a buying a bike. My first year I borrowed a friend's mountain bike. Years 2-4 I rode an old, used Cannondale then bit the bullet and bought a bike. It was actually a horrible fit and after two years of misery I went to a shop that specialized in tri bikes and purchased my QR which is a great fit and I still love 5 years into the relationship. ;-)

Have fun training and racing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
welcome!
i also agree with lilpups... really do some research and try some bikes out.
what ever you are riding now, i'm sure is fine. this is your first tri..don't expect to podium...YET!!
enjoy the experience, the day and the post race bagel. at your NEXT tri, then you can crank
it up.
my first tri i left flip flops at the end of the pool to wear to transition, sat and carefully dried my feet and stuffed my wet body into bike shorts...not a pretty picture then i jumped on my 50lb mountain bike, left the kick stand and rat trap on. didn't change gears
in case the chain fell off (didn't know how to put it back on) back at transition proceeded to change from my bike shirt to a run top!!!that was 6 years ago...( i don't do any of that anymore) i am now addicted. several 1/2's and 2 ironmen under my belt.
and last year i bought a splashy bike...orbea dive...the pink one!!!
so enjoy and be sure to let us know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much to everyone for your advice and welcomes!

I wanted to give an update about the bike... The 2008 Allez Triple I had been considering was for sale by a tri club member who is moving out of the country on Tuesday. He had never ridden the bike-the chain was still shiny when I showed up for a test ride. So he gave me a great deal: $600, and he gave me a new helmet and some new tri shoes (we wear the same size). I am so happy with my purchase! This is most awesome because we only had to pay $200 out of pocket, since I had sold my husband's bike for $400 (if his bike had fit me, I would have just ridden that for awhile, but it was an XL frame and I am definitely not that tall). I am looking forward to the maiden voyage today.

Even if I don't decide that I love tris, I still plan to get back into biking. I have dearly missed it during my almost three years of not having a bike! I have a goal to do a century at some point.

Thanks again! :)

Triathlizer in the making
Mom of 2 crazy boys
Quote Reply