Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line
Quote | Reply
New Balance has created a line of apparel for fitness, yoga and running. You can see it here.

What do you all think of using a fashion model to sell fitness clothes?

from the website:
"HKNB is the perfect balance of Style & Performance.
The HKNB collection is designed to not only make you look good while working out, but also feel great doing it."

Personally, I am not a fan of the fashionization of running clothing. I am sure that Heidi works out more than most athletes I know, and I have no problem with her being an advocate of fitness or even apparel. I have a problem with the marketing approach New Balance is using here: it is using the "look hot, be cute while you are working out" sentiment that is irritating to me. It is irritating because it creates a standard of what women should strive to look like while they are out doing their fitness hobbies (yoga, running, rowing, weight lifting, cycling, whatever), instead of concentrating on how they feel.

I understand many women (including myself) like to shop for running and fitness clothes and a new pair of shorts can make you feel happy and even motivate you to go out and run. I'm not discrediting this, or saying that all women should wear baggy stained sweatpants and holey tshirts while running- nor implying you are fake and shallow if you wear an "outfit." (I have several matching outfits myself). What I am saying is this- fitness (in my case, running) is sacred to me because while I am running, it is not what my body looks like in the mirror, or how I fill out some shorts, or whether or not my fat is jiggling (it always jiggles)- It is about how I feel, and I strive for that to be strong and confident, which should have zero to do with what I'm wearing, or how "hot" or "cute" I am perceived to be by the men and women around me.

Until relatively recently the "runner's uniform" was split shorts and a shirt. Now there are so many choices, especially for women, including fashion running items. How has this change affected you (if at all) and do you think it helps or hinders women in terms of enjoying fitness? Which is ultimately the idea..... um...right???
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Truthfully this doesn't impact me at all and, in all fairness, my guess is that this line of clothing is not targeted to women who are already highly active (as I'm guessing most womens on slowtwitch are....at least by average north American standards). I'm betting the line is focused more on the person who 'wants' to get a workout in but doesn't for whatever reason. One of those reasons, albeit not the only one, may be that the woman doesn't actually feel good working out. You and I may enjoy the 'feeling' of being active and that makes us feel attractive, but for many people who don't work out regularly, working out is a slog. There are women who are intimidated to go into a gym because they don't understand the equipment and aren't sure what they're supposed to wear. It may sound silly but I remember being nervous before my first tri that I wouldn't have the right clothes for the competition and a small part of me worried that would make me look like a total noob to all the finely tuned triathletes strutting around. It was intimidating!

If this clothing gets just one woman out the door more active for a run then I'm all for it. If this clothing makes just one woman feel more confident that Heidi is helping 'guide' her into the right stuff to wear so she'll feel more confident in the gym (and thus keep going back) then I'm all for it. Heck, if this fashion clothing is only worn by gals as they stroll and talk, hoping to look good to those around then that's still time they're actually moving and that's a step in the right direction.

Then again, I did an Ironman in a pink run skirt simply because it made me happy (and I figured I might need a smile by the time I hit the run) so maybe i'm not the best person to ask. :)

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lilpups wrote:
Truthfully this doesn't impact me at all and, in all fairness, my guess is that this line of clothing is not targeted to women who are already highly active (as I'm guessing most womens on slowtwitch are....at least by average north American standards). I'm betting the line is focused more on the person who 'wants' to get a workout in but doesn't for whatever reason. One of those reasons, albeit not the only one, may be that the woman doesn't actually feel good working out. You and I may enjoy the 'feeling' of being active and that makes us feel attractive, but for many people who don't work out regularly, working out is a slog. There are women who are intimidated to go into a gym because they don't understand the equipment and aren't sure what they're supposed to wear. It may sound silly but I remember being nervous before my first tri that I wouldn't have the right clothes for the competition and a small part of me worried that would make me look like a total noob to all the finely tuned triathletes strutting around. It was intimidating!

If this clothing gets just one woman out the door more active for a run then I'm all for it. If this clothing makes just one woman feel more confident that Heidi is helping 'guide' her into the right stuff to wear so she'll feel more confident in the gym (and thus keep going back) then I'm all for it. Heck, if this fashion clothing is only worn by gals as they stroll and talk, hoping to look good to those around then that's still time they're actually moving and that's a step in the right direction.

Then again, I did an Ironman in a pink run skirt simply because it made me happy (and I figured I might need a smile by the time I hit the run) so maybe i'm not the best person to ask. :)

I agree with the marketing part. They are going for the majority, not the core runners. It does leave a funny taste in your mouth when an outsider comes in to promote a fairly "core" brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you just now noticing this Heidi Klum line? Her name has been on New Balance clothing along with Birkenstock shoes.
I don't care whose name is on my clothing or which pair of shorts is sported by "celebrity" X. If clothing is well made, fitted , somewhat stylish and priced right, I am all about it. I looked at this Heidi Klum line some years ago and passed on items because of the fabrics and them being too big for me. If the clothing and name get women into a gym or studio at least once, give them a fashion show so they feel good about working out.
Some months ago I was at a pilates studio where women were comparing their Lululemon clothing and one commented on how she saw a woman wearing some in the airport. The conversation was so lame that made me realized they were there not to only work out but to have a fashion show. Name brand or not, most women dress for one another than to look good for themselves.

Last edited by: travelmama: Jun 19, 13 4:14
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: your pink running skirt- that does not make you unqualified to add to this discussion! I don't mind if people disagree with me at all. I asked what you all thought.

Quote:
I completely agree with you, and I tried to make my sentiment clear in my original post- I don't care if a woman wears a tube top and a mini skirt while she works out if that's what she wants, what I have a problem with is New Balance telling women, "looking cute is the most important thing when working out! yayyy cuteness!" I understand it's to sell things and make money, you do too, we all do, but that doesn't mean I like it. Like the fad diet industry- it feels like New Balance is taking advantage of the fact that some women exercise solely with the goal of attaining unrealistic bodies. This is just disappointing.

I disagree that because this is marketed to the non hardcore endurance athlete that is doesn't matter to us (ST, presumably more hardcore athletes). My sister is unathletic and recently went through a divorce. She's been miserable and gained a lot of weight. She told me she wants to start working out to "lose weight" and date again. I encouraged her to try to find something she liked to do. It was a struggle finding clothes she wasn't embarrassed to wear. I could argue she is the target market for a line of clothing like this: it comes with "buy these clothes, you will look cute, and you will feel great and because you are now working out all the time in your cute clothes, you'll look hot."

The end of the story is that she gave up. The gym felt like a cool girls party in high school to her- you had to look a certain way, wear certain clothes, etc. Okay, whatever you might say, find a new gym or try another sport. yeah maybe that would work. The POINT is, of course I can't control what companies market what, and our societal obsession with thinness, and that nobody seems to realize you can be a little chubby yet still really healthy, but what I WANT for women (i.e. my sister) is to enjoy exercise and be confident in their abilities, whether its walking one mile a day in a color-coordinated Heidi Klum outfit, or running 100mpw in sweats. And I think this campaign misses the mark, because it is equating beauty and thinness with exercising, and if someone exercises solely to be beautiful, they will likely fail, and the whole thing just bothers me.

But maybe I'm whining to the wrong crowd, as yes, you note this line is not marketed to the hardcore types, and all of you are into sports (not just looking good in a dress, although I'm sure that is an added bonus) and confident regardless of what you wear while triathloning. It just bothered me and I value people's opinions here.
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep! Just noticed. Sorry I'm late to the party... doesn't really change my opinion though... :) I love NB shoes and was online shopping and the giant pic of Heidi with full on make-up and perky boobies caught my eye.... as I'm sure it did for the other women who shop there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose the emphasis on looks rather than health is not really what I'd be going for...

But, the main goal of any company is to make money. By appealing to a broader range or the 'majority' or having a celebrity name to attach to the clothes, if it sells more stuff and makes the company more money, then it was worthwhile for that company.
Companies often strive to increase their 'customer base'
If a strategy like this doesn't increase sales, then the strategy will be dropped.

In the end, for I think most of us on this forum, we are interested in feel, fit, and function. It has to be comfortable, fit well, and function in the manner intended. Then if we look good as well, it's even better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankly, I am tired of all the crappy "girlie" workout "clothes" the shops seem to care. I have a heck of a time actually finding workout clothes that fits what I need - quick sweat absorbing tank tops (none of those crappy strappy tops that my bra strap shows), lined running shorts (I sweat like a beast and no lining means sweating running down my leg is NOT cool), shorts that aren't up my butt or in the way making me look like I should be wrapped around a pole at a club. I would also like black. Not pink, black. Not cute little hearts and crap, black or at least a solid colour. I am so sick of heading to sports shops and seeing t shirts, sweatpants and sweatshirts that you lounge around in, not work out in. I am also sick and tired of the men having racks and racks of workout clothes while we get a rack or two of flimsy, girlie crap.

A supermodel being the person for sports clothes? No thanks. Give me someone who does more than just yoga and Pilates, has a personal trainer and starves themselves. Give me the Williams' sisters who have boobs, bum and the need for well built clothing that is actually worked out in rather than used to go shopping in. Meh. I seriously think the options for women when it comes to decent workout clothing is very limited. There is money to be made and thank god for moving comfort bras and shorts! I would have nothing if it wasn't for them. Nike, where I live, sucks. As does pretty much every other company when it comes to clothes that I would wear to train. Just me??
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally NOT just you! I often feel the same way. I am frustrated at the fashion world getting into workout clothing because I don't want to pay $90+ for a pair of shorts/tights/knickers/shirt that I am going to get nasty with sweat and other various bodily fluids. I get that there have been some tech advances: compression, the addition of silver in the fabric, etc - BUT I feel the vast majority of clothing lines are basically the same quality fashionista crap and then marketed to the extent that we all feel we 'have' to have them at some crazy price.

To each their own. I know women who love all the color and design because they don't want to feel like a tom boy - but I AM a tom boy and I don't want frills and pink! I am all for whatever gets people off the couch, BUT I also think this sends the wrong message. Getting fit and healthy should be about the individual, not trying to impress the next boyfriend, the other girls, etc. Anyway, I feel myself starting to stray onto the soap box....

Bottom line: make good quality WORKOUT clothes, from fabrics that are functional (not fashionable), and make them accessible to all price points. I haven't looked in a while but historically the percentage of overweight people increases as their SES decreases - so how is the 'fashion' industry targeting this population to get them moving if they can't afford at $50 pair of running shorts?

Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Some months ago I was at a pilates studio where women were comparing their Lululemon clothing...

I missed this comment. Pretty much everyone who goes on and on about Lulelemon being the best in workout clothes doesn't really work out from what I have seen. Chatting to your friends in the gym, doing a yoga class (not trying to knock yoga but you don't need workout clothes for it and I don't think of it as training in my books and I do it myself) or hanging out does not require special clothes. Again, perhaps it is just me but I have never found a thing in a Lululemon shop that actually fit me properly or made me think I could go for a run, bike or weight workout that would have my butt hanging out, my boobs visible or me overheating from sweating to death, not to mention being stuck in sweaty, heavy clothes due to the lack of breathable of the fabrics. Add in the crazy prices and I just do not get it. Is it a middle class white women thing or is it just me?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
genkigirl1 wrote:

[/b]I missed this comment. Pretty much everyone who goes on and on about Lulelemon being the best in workout clothes doesn't really work out from what I have seen.

Tell my 5% body fat, ripped black belt turned aspiring triathlete personal trainer that people who wear Luluemon do not work out. You'd have to take his Lulu off his dead body. Or, Taylor Phinney, well known Lulu lover.

And I venture to guess that Heidi Klum works out a lot more than you would think.

Personally, I for one prefer to look good when I work out. YVMV.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heck, when I started running my uniform was a cotton t-shirt and a pair of Umbros. Then tech gear came out and I traded up--to a men's tech t. My trisuit was a swimsuit. Now we have the luxury of complaining about all the options in workout wear for women! It's glorious! And who knows? A cute outfit may be a gateway drug to a healthier lifestyle. That's a good thing, right?

Honestly, I don't see how the increased options can do anything but help. When you're comfortable, you're probably going to enjoy working out more. And comfort means different things to different people. We all have our own priorities, needs, preferences . . . now we have choices to fill the gaps. I want a supportive top and unrestrictive shorts; someone else needs full coverage for getting all bendy at the gym; someone else wants compression; someone else likes bright colors; someone else cares about tan lines. Options!

And while marketing may target "how you look," it's how you feel that will determine what you continue to wear and repurchase. My running bag today contains a pair of Lululemon shorts and a shirt from Target. Love them both. They work for me.

Remember, for every Heidi Klum renting her image to New Balance, there's a Nicole DeBoom building Skirtsports, her own fitness apparel company, because she wanted to give women more options. So if you care about such things--vote with your wallet. Or just buy what you like. Or skip the clothes entirely and sign up for the Bouncing Buns Clothing-Optional Trail Run this weekend. Whatever you do, go have a kick-butt workout!
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [BPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks for the life advice (although advice was not my goal here... ). We all vote for with our wallets, and there are certain brands I will never buy, but it's not my place to get on a high horse and tell everyone what to wear and buy and what not to wear and buy. My concern is getting women into fitness and enjoying it, and not feeling like it requires a fashion show. (i.e. read above the anecdotal story about my sister), however, if they like the fashion show aspect, I am happy for them. So I asked everyone's opinions if you think a fashion model selling fitness clothes (watch the video, she is actually quoted saying "buy my clothes, and you will look cute!") is helpful or harmful to getting women into fitness. Obviously the answer is some combination of both, but I was curious what you all thought. And the responses so far are great, thanks!! I enjoy informed and thoughtful discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Curious, how do you evaluate this? By the mirror? By the comments you receive? Can one not look good in ratty clothes? Does one always look good in expensive fashion fitness clothes? What does "looking good" even mean? Who sets the standard? You? Society? Your 5% body fat personal trainer? Interesting questions that I am directly toward the ominous "you" not just you, trackie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
genkigirl1 wrote:
I would also like black. Not pink, black. Not cute little hearts and crap, black or at least a solid colour. I am so sick of heading to sports shops and seeing t shirts, sweatpants and sweatshirts that you lounge around in, not work out in.

Yeah, for the black! It's interesting how women's shorts are lined with white or gray liners, while men's are lined with black. No one even sees that part, why!? I guess a lighter color liner works better with the lighter, pastel colors typically seen of women's shorts. Eh... not to be gross, but when I had some GI issues in a recent ultra... um.... it was not pretty. I would just at least enjoy a black liner, harder to stain (sorry, TMI). When you're out there for 24+ hours, shit happens.

But this is a tangent. Obviously most people are not concerned with failing body parts. Okay I should stop there.

Carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just gave some advice to a person that is along these lines. His friend, a woman, is thinking about starting running but feels she is too overweight and people will laugh at her. My advice was to get her a gift certificate to a running store where she can pick out clothes that she feels good in. That can make a surprising difference for someone who feels self conscious. And for a beginner, that can be a huge barrier.

I leave for a run and sometimes realize how stupid I look because my socks horribly clash with my shirt which looks stupid with my cap. I keep running but I actually feel more self conscious when I dress like someone who is colorblind. Makes no difference in my running but I'm still a bit embarassed. Like going to work and realizing you look a bit like a slob. No harm, you can still get your work done, but it is a little embarassing.

I don't care who is promoting what workout clothing as long as there are many options for women who want to get off their asses. From what I've seen, most women who really get into it move towards the more practical options eventually.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I disagree that because this is marketed to the non hardcore endurance athlete that is doesn't matter to us (ST, presumably more hardcore athletes). My sister is unathletic and recently went through a divorce. She's been miserable and gained a lot of weight. She told me she wants to start working out to "lose weight" and date again. I encouraged her to try to find something she liked to do. It was a struggle finding clothes she wasn't embarrassed to wear. I could argue she is the target market for a line of clothing like this: it comes with "buy these clothes, you will look cute, and you will feel great and because you are now working out all the time in your cute clothes, you'll look hot."

The end of the story is that she gave up. The gym felt like a cool girls party in high school to her- you had to look a certain way, wear certain clothes, etc. Okay, whatever you might say, find a new gym or try another sport. yeah maybe that would work. The POINT is, of course I can't control what companies market what, and our societal obsession with thinness, and that nobody seems to realize you can be a little chubby yet still really healthy, but what I WANT for women (i.e. my sister) is to enjoy exercise and be confident in their abilities, whether its walking one mile a day in a color-coordinated Heidi Klum outfit, or running 100mpw in sweats. And I think this campaign misses the mark, because it is equating beauty and thinness with exercising, and if someone exercises solely to be beautiful, they will likely fail, and the whole thing just bothers me.

Every time I read something like this, it just makes me so sad. I just want to take people like your sister to the gym and give anyone who looks at her with anything other than a welcoming smile the finger. I don't know what can be done about it, since it's largely an internal/self esteem issue. I know there are gyms out there like Curves that try to address this, but it just seems so wrong to me that people don't feel free to go to whatever gym they want. Thanks to horrific elementary/junior high school experiences, I know the cool kids want nothing to do with me, so I stopped trying to impress them a long time ago. I'm just not that interested in fashion and look for close that feel comfortable/don't chafe. I also want them to be flattering, but that's further on the list of priorities.

I also agree about the whole focus on beauty/thinness/appearance vs. exercising for health/strength/etc. It's disheartening and is only going to increase the chasm between the sedentary overweight/obese people who are too intimidated to go to the gym/try a new sport and the active/fit folks.

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdraegerpnw wrote:

Every time I read something like this, it just makes me so sad. ... I know the cool kids want nothing to do with me, so I stopped trying to impress them a long time ago.....

First of all, Michelle, you ARE one of the cool kids now, and we cool kids (the womens of ST) like working out with you a lot.

Second, I had the same "Heidi Klum chagrin" upon seeing TYRsport discontinue my favorite swimsuit and start a "fashion" line instead. Don't even get me started on the "Huntington Beach" line (Kyra, you have my sympathy here on the OC connection).

Third, I have the same sister, who after years of being miserable and overweight, came with me to Lake Placid ("I am so proud of you"), and then CDA ("will your friends think I am too fat to hang out with your group?") and then Penticton ("I want to swim and bike and run the course with you before the race, and I have a trainer and have lost a lot of weight and am signed up for my first triathlon").

But, I like "cute" clothes, or at least things *I* feel comfortably cute in, even when others give me crap about it. Especially swimsuits -- I am just not a "grab bag at swim outlet" kind of girl. That said, if you haven't passed this on to your more self-conscious friends, you might want to -- positive feedback does sink in, even if the effect isn't apparent right away:

http://www.upworthy.com/...ini-2?g=2&c=upw1
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, thanks for that. Your kindness is really appreciated. :)

I think the Heidi Klum line is great for women who want to (or already are) getting into fitness/running/gym etc, AND they happen to already have skinny bodies (however skinny doesn't always equal healthy), and are beautiful (by classic societal standards), or those who just don't give a hoot what anyone thinks and wear whatever they want, no matter what anyone says. Unfortunately, my sister doesn't fit one of these, as well as a lot of women I know. Sounds like your sister too.

Due to the pervasiveness of health = beauty/hot/abs/skinny, women like my sister and your sister kind of get stuck out there, further alienated against, and these are the women I feel this whole fashion fitness stuff is extremely damaging toward. Most of us here, sounds like we navigate it fairly well.
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops I meant *your* sister in my last comment.

Anyway, thanks for the bikini body chart! haha.

I saw something similar, it said:

How to get a beach body:

Step 1) go to the beach.

:)
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I just gave some advice to a person that is along these lines. His friend, a woman, is thinking about starting running but feels she is too overweight and people will laugh at her. My advice was to get her a gift certificate to a running store where she can pick out clothes that she feels good in. That can make a surprising difference for someone who feels self conscious. And for a beginner, that can be a huge barrier.

I leave for a run and sometimes realize how stupid I look because my socks horribly clash with my shirt which looks stupid with my cap. I keep running but I actually feel more self conscious when I dress like someone who is colorblind. Makes no difference in my running but I'm still a bit embarassed. Like going to work and realizing you look a bit like a slob. No harm, you can still get your work done, but it is a little embarassing.

I don't care who is promoting what workout clothing as long as there are many options for women who want to get off their asses. From what I've seen, most women who really get into it move towards the more practical options eventually.

I agree...although I have to admit I have gone from baggy cotton shirts (I was new to working out once, what can I say?!), to buying a running skirt (for cuteness), to refusing to buy a certain pair of pink & purple runners lest anyone think I'm TOO MUCH of a girly-girl (as if...). My requirement is proper fit, and if it's fashionable then great. I will pay for quality and get to enjoy some great clothes for several years. I refuse to buy certain lines of workout clothes mostly on principle...people wear it as a fashion statement and I refuse to join that club.

And like you Jen, I try to match my colours before heading out for a run...mostly!
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [cjdavids] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote cjdavids to buying a running skirt (for cuteness), to refusing to buy a certain pair of pink & purple runners lest anyone think I'm TOO MUCH of a girly-girl (as if...). My requirement is proper fit, and if it's fashionable then great.[/quote]
I think matching colors is more "pro" looking than fashionable. If you are a sponsored pro usually you have a line of matching clothing, hence being all matched up, especially within one brand, looks sharp, regardless male or female, pink or black, or whatever.

My question- is there absolutely anything functional about a running skirt? I've always wanted to know, but never asked because I didn't want to come off like an ass. I'm just totally curious what the draw is, if there is anything besides perceived cuteness. PS, running skirts are not just for the disney princess marathon, at the ultras I do, regularly I'd say 40-50% of the women are in skirts and they are not the back of the packers- it's pretty evenly distributed among finishing place, thus choice of skirt vs. shorts seems to have no correlation with speed, seriousness, or race distance. (I say this because there seems to be a stereotype around running skirts- i.e. they are just for the "gals who have fun and chat during races, slogging at the back of the pack." Frankly I don't understand them- why one would subject themselves to unnecessary extra material, especially ruffles, but, regardless of my personal preferences, I am strongly against the stereotype, because it is not wholly correct.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
npda wrote:
[quote cjdavids to buying a running skirt (for cuteness), to refusing to buy a certain pair of pink & purple runners lest anyone think I'm TOO MUCH of a girly-girl (as if...). My requirement is proper fit, and if it's fashionable then great.

I think matching colors is more "pro" looking than fashionable. If you are a sponsored pro usually you have a line of matching clothing, hence being all matched up, especially within one brand, looks sharp, regardless male or female, pink or black, or whatever.

My question- is there absolutely anything functional about a running skirt? I've always wanted to know, but never asked because I didn't want to come off like an ass. I'm just totally curious what the draw is, if there is anything besides perceived cuteness. PS, running skirts are not just for the disney princess marathon, at the ultras I do, regularly I'd say 40-50% of the women are in skirts and they are not the back of the packers- it's pretty evenly distributed among finishing place, thus choice of skirt vs. shorts seems to have no correlation with speed, seriousness, or race distance. (I say this because there seems to be a stereotype around running skirts- i.e. they are just for the "gals who have fun and chat during races, slogging at the back of the pack." Frankly I don't understand them- why one would subject themselves to unnecessary extra material, especially ruffles, but, regardless of my personal preferences, I am strongly against the stereotype, because it is not wholly correct.)[/quote]
---------------------------------------

The skirt was on sale, and at the time (not any more, sadly) it fit well - as in, the shorts inside fit well and the skirty part was nice and light so no issue with feeling heavy. Also it was nice and short since I can't stand the feel of material bumping against the front of my legs when I run. I figured, what the hell - needed some new running shorts anyway. The local running shop had some insanely cute skirts and I know they were purchased by a lot of hard-core runners.

Some people like the loose shorts, some like capris, some like spandex...nice that there are so many choices out there to suit every taste. Whatever helps motivate a person to, as Jen said, get their asses off the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridana wrote:
I feel the vast majority of clothing lines are basically the same quality fashionista crap and then marketed to the extent that we all feel we 'have' to have them at some crazy price.

To each their own. I know women who love all the color and design because they don't want to feel like a tom boy - but I AM a tom boy and I don't want frills and pink! I am all for whatever gets people off the couch, BUT I also think this sends the wrong message. Getting fit and healthy should be about the individual, not trying to impress the next boyfriend, the other girls, etc.

Yes, this.

And I would add, getting fit and healthy should be about getting fit and healthy, not about achieving largely unattainable beauty/body standards (size 2/six-pack/X % BF, etc.), and feeling pressure to dress a certain way deemed more desirable by ads, marketing, men, other women, the gym you belong to, etc. (which often requires $$$$$).
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trackie clm wrote:
genkigirl1 wrote:

[/b]I missed this comment. Pretty much everyone who goes on and on about Lulelemon being the best in workout clothes doesn't really work out from what I have seen.

Tell my 5% body fat, ripped black belt turned aspiring triathlete personal trainer that people who wear Luluemon do not work out. You'd have to take his Lulu off his dead body. Or, Taylor Phinney, well known Lulu lover.

And I venture to guess that Heidi Klum works out a lot more than you would think.

I thought we were discussing women's clothing, not men's clothing. Great that you can name two men that like their stuff but as a woman who works out, I don't. It isn't clothing that holds me in, up or doesn't show my bras straps or make me feel dry and comfortable on runs, biking or lifting.

You're also suggesting that I am saying I don't want to look good while working out. I love to look good - but you know what doesn't look good on me? Strappy tank tops with bras straps showing, barely there booty shorts, sweat running down my leg and my constant pulling at straps, waistbands and the like. Skimpy little tops makes me look like a cheap pole dancer and in my opinion, that doesn't make me look good. Skimpy bikini style bathing suits with zero bust support don't make me look good. Boy shorts don't make me look good. Low cut tops don't make me look good. I want sturdy tops that are form fitting so they don't get in the way. I want decent material so I don't feel gross. I don't want a built in bras because guess what, not enough support. I don't want "girlie" colours. I see nothing on their page that comes close to anything I would feel good in while training. More so when I look at the price they want for it all. http://shop.lululemon.com/...=mn;women;tops;tanks

Oh, and I am sure Heidi works out a ton. She has to. It's her job. Mind you, she want sleek and slim, I want muscle and strength. Two different types of working out and very different clothing needs which is why I made the yoga comment.

And yes to the comment about white lining in shorts - to be honest, I haven't even been able to find running shorts around me that are even lined!! I order everything from amazon these days and hope it fits!
Quote Reply

Prev Next