Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Has anyone done the RAAM?
Quote | Reply
I have done a search for team RAAM and got some pretty good results but would like some more information. A friend of mine and I have just put together a 4 person female team with plans to do the 2011 RAAM. Two of us met yesterday and brainstormed sponsor ideas and tried to get a grip on budget and crew. It's really hard to do when you are not sure of specifics. We have one PR person on board and another has been contacted. We want to present them with as much information as possible. Specifically, I am looking for total budget and breakdown. How many crew members do you recommend? Food? And any other bits of information........no matter how trivial(in this case I doubt any info is trivial).

Thanks,

Carol
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done the RAAM? [tab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a book published on on RAMM called, Race Across America by Michael Shermer, 1993 that discusses costs, planning etc. I know of a couple of triathlete women who have done it as teams.
Celeste Callahan, (USAT rep from PNW) who lives in Colorado did it a few years ago.
Previously Lynn Brooks, Valerie Gattis, Karen..., Ann Vivani did it. Also Barbara Warren (RIP) & her sister did it as part of a mixed team. I watched the those 2 teams take off when it started in Portland. Soemthing I've thought about over the years

You might e able t ocontact them.

Hope this helps,

Barb
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done the RAAM? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barb,

Thank you. I got the book Monday from one of the other girls on the team. I emailed and PM'd several of the guys who have done it who have posted here. Some of them have responded with really good information. It seems we have given ourselves enough time and are on the right track.....yay. The four of us on the team are scattered all over Texas and we have some pretty good connections. I think we will be able to generate quite a buzz. I am a mother of two, the others do not have children. We want to show women there should not be any limits on the things they can do. Anywho, off my soapbox. We are all very excited about this new twist in our lives and are willing to put in the work necessary to do it right. We will have a website and a blog up within the next few months.

Oh, I will look up the people you named.......we can't have too much info!

Carol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Connect up with the RAO people... Terri & George. They are the organizers behind the Hill Country 600 in Texas and also Race Across Oregon along with several other great events. They are experienced RAAM people and are a great resource.

http://www.raceacrossoregon.com/

Good luck,

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might give these gals a shout and see what information they will share.

http://www.kalyrawomensracingteam.com/index.html

Or PM STer Willy. He's done some crewing and maybe racing for the FC508 so he may have some ideas.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done the RAAM? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I will get in touch with them.

I can't believe I didn't know about the Hill Country 600, it comes right by where I live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is also a "mini RAAM", the Race Across the West that you guys might look into for 2010. I think it's Cali to NM or TX or something like that.

Good luck!!
clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't say enough good stuff about Terri & George at RAO... good people and good events.

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done the RAAM? [JBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once again, thank you. I have contacted Terry and George.

We have looked into the RAW and are considering it. We will probably do a "training camp/dry run" in the Ft. Davis, Texas area, too.

We are kind of all over the place with this right now. It IS amazing the people and contacts you have, when you really start thinking about it. We are at the my neighbors sisters brother went to school with........point. We will reach out to sponsors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck on this journey!!!

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another person on this board who is doing it next year is jasonlester. He is in the planning stages and will probably be a great source of info as he gets ready. If you are on Facebook you can friend Josef Ajram as well. He is getting ready for 2010. He blogs his training in spanish and english. Hilarious guy. Also friend Rick Kent. He is a cyclist who has done some crazy races of epic lengths including multiple RAAMs. I met all three of them at Ultraman Canada this year. Super nice and I'm sure they'd be willing to give you advice. Leave them a note with the friend request and let them know what you are up to.

The each have websites although Rick is retired from racing and does race photography.

One way I've gotten great exposure to future race goals is to crew for someone doing that race. If you could get on someone's crew for 2010 that would be a huge benefit to your prep and will likely help get you in for 2011. Also consider volunteering to crew for Furnace Creek 508 to get more exposure to long distance cycling events and planning.

Keep us up to date, I look forward to hearing about your progress!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done the RAAM? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jen, thanks for the great ideas. Is Rick Kent in Austin? One of the girls on the team knows(casually) someone from Austin who has done multiple RAAMs. She said she would get in touch. I will friend request the people you suggested. I guess this means I will have to be a better Facebooker, though! I can go months without checking it! Crewing for someone would be awesome. Do you think they would be interested in someone they don't know? I will work my butt off!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Believe me, people will be thankful for crew volunteers. You might also let the race director know that you are willing to crew and he can put you in touch with those in need.

Also contact Shanna Armstrong. She has a lot of experience in this area. She has a website you can google.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone is always looking to add to their crew. I got matched up with 2 different runners for Badwater just by posting to a forum they have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done the RAAM? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crewing is a great idea and something everyone is interested in. I am committed to CDA(my last IM for a while so I don't want to bail) in 2010 so I am out for the RAAM but the other girls are going to look into it. We are all very excited about this.......and scared!!!! We are having a team meeting in Austin after Longhorn 70.3. Website and blog should be up shortly after.

Carol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted this about a year ago. Here is a little bit of an update. I am on a 4 person team and we entered the RAAM last week!!!!!! We are Team Ride Red. We are an all female team riding for the American Heart Association's "Go Red" campaign. We are all VERY excited and have alot of work to do to get to the start. Our NEW website will be up and running next week. Our old site is meetteamgalaxy.com. Check us out.

Is anyone going to Interbike? We will be there:) Can't wait!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did tech for RAAM a few times. You may want to touch base with Lon and his wife at PAC Tour (they live in Sharon Wi)....I am happy to put you in contact with them, and anything I can offer from the "helper" prospective I am happy to help.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You gals are BAD ASS. The riding part of RAAM is easy. It's the extreme sleep deprivation that will hurt the most. People with whom I've spoken always say "Don't fool yourself - even as part of a four person team, the sleep deprivation is BRUTAL". (and I hear it's even worse for the crew)

I wish you all the best - this is going to be an amazing experience for all of you!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done the RAAM? [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please forward those names to me. I would love to speak to them. We are all rookie riders with (so far) an all rookie crew. We need all the help we can get!!

As for being "bad ass", the RAAM is super cool! I did, however, have a super freaky moment last week when we registered. I was looking at the other rider bios and though WTF am I doing????? I'm just a mom from a tiny Texas town. I have no creds........... I'm over it now:) Kinda.
Quote Reply