Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hardware in Tib/Fib fracture
Quote | Reply
Hello All!

8 years ago I had a metal rod and screws at my ankle and by me knee put in after a tib/fib fracture. After a recent jump rope session I experienced a significant amount of pain around the original break area and ankle screws. Along with bruising around the ankle and swelling.

I did see the ortho, and after xrays he advised removing the ankle screws and shaving down the bone. So, I have surgery pending few days after the appointment the pain is worsening and spreading up the whole rod!

It's more of a shocking/swelling pain. Needless to say I cannot run at the time either. Has anyone experienced similar or even gone through screw removal? I'll be calling him back in a few here but I'm hoping someone has a personal experience to share.
Quote Reply
Re: Hardware in Tib/Fib fracture [VagueSquirrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say quite a few people here have loose screws, but few have gone thru complete removal :)

Coincidentally, there is a new show on tv called "My feet are Killing Me", all about orthopedic surgeons. Last night lady was having procedure similar to yours - old hardware was causing the bone to grow. Large and oddly shaped bone growth that was quite painful.

They didn't go into the post-op rehab to rebuild the muscles/ligaments/tendons so as not to rely upon the joint for stabilty and function.

Wishing you a great outcome and speedy recovery!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply