Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Half Ironman??
Quote | Reply
I have done many sprint triathlons and ended last season with an olympic. I am wanting to do a half ironman in January. How long does it take to move from olympic to half ironman? Whats the biggest challenge you have encountered?
Quote Reply
Re: Half Ironman?? [charman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did my first half last year after a couple of olympic distance races in 2010.

to be honest, i did more or less the same training, just more of it. after a may 1st marathon i let running take care of itself leading up to the june 26th race and focused on getting some good, solid cycling in. being my first, i didn't really worry about intensity (though i tend to cycle fairly hard all the time when outdoors), but i did make sure i got a few 100+km rides in.

nutrition can ruin your day pretty easily, so use your long training sessions to practice what you'll eat and drink on race day. other than that, it's really pretty simple; swim, bike and run a bunch!

oh, i will recommend NOT doing your first crit on a CX bike with the seat way too high 2 weeks before the race, followed by 100km on the same bike (with the same issue) the next day. completely buggering up your SI joint and having every single pedal stroke during the race feel like you're being stabbed in the butt makes for a bit of a long day on the bike..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
charman1 wrote:
I have done many sprint triathlons and ended last season with an olympic. I am wanting to do a half ironman in January. How long does it take to move from olympic to half ironman? Whats the biggest challenge you have encountered?

If you are already comfortable with the olympic distance, moving up to a half iron should not take you more than a 12/13-week training plan.
For most of us the hardest part is the swim, but in an olympic distance you are already doing .9 miles. 0.9 miles to 1.2 miles is nothing. The biggest challenge to me was the running part.
Quote Reply