Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HR monitors and sports bras
Quote | Reply
    Hi all. First I want to say I'm a newbie, so forgive me if this is a silly question or if it has already been covered. I was wondering how you all work the heart rate monitor with the sports bras. I find that if I tuck mine under the band, I feel like I can't breathe-too constricting. But I also find that if I put it just below the band, it tends to slip down on my run. If I tighten it, again, I feel like I'm having a tough time inhaling. I usually wear 2 sports bras BTW (36B/C). And I'm currently using the polar s625x. Thanks for any input.
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitors and sports bras [rockykito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there, I'm also a 625X user and I found that I had to play around a bit to find ideal strap placement for it. I don't wear two sports bras, but I do have a sunken ribcage to further complicate the whole process. I've had good luck tucking it right above the jog bra strap, which then sort of holds it in place while still allowing me to breathe. There's also a "conducting gel" I use with it to help it pick up the HRM's signal (I can't remember what it's called, something like Ba-bump -- I know, terrible name...) The gel definitely helped me get a signal with the thing...

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sugoi makes some bras that have an inner bra and then an outer bra. The outer layer is a bit longer and it works great at holding the HRM in place (and you don't look like a dork because it's hidden)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar sells a special sportsbra with a channel that holds the strap built into it. Don't know if it works with the newer T-61 strap though.

http://www.heartratemonitors.com/sportbra.htm

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 725x. Which Polar transmitter & strap are you using? I've been using a Polar HR since the early 90's & have always had issues with getting them tight enough or else they slip. I switch to the wearlink transmitter instead of the T61 a few years ago & its less of a problem. Polar sell all there transmitters with the medium strap which in theory fits smaller chest sizes if cinched all the way down. The do make the XS elastic strap for both the T61 & wearlink. They are hard to find & I've had to order directly from Polar. They make a big difference in the ability to have it tight enough. I never liked the material on the Polar bras it always looked like it would be too hot (temperature wise) to run in.
Barb
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitors and sports bras [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using the strap that came with it. I am also finding that it slips down. The problem is that if I tighten it (I still have room to do so), it gets so tight, that I feel like its really constricting my breathing (maybe I'm just being dramatic). When I think about it, the way the strap works, it is working against physics. Our bodies are like an inverted triangle, and when we run, it's gonna slip...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the end of every season I have scars from my HR strap. Usually the battery cover leaves a spot where the indentation is to unscrew the battery cover. And, on my back I have scars from the thing that you use to adjust the chestband. I have yet to come up with a good solution but I did notice the Wearlink was less scaring and only happened during my half IM and not on anything less than 2 hours long. That is progress.

Maybe the Polar rep on the board can explain whether they test the straps on women at all or just men. Selling their own version of a sports bra isn't a solution to the problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only used the Timex HRM, and it was comfy -- and stayed put without scarring or any of the other nasty problems described in this thread -- to wear an inch or so lower than my regular sports bra. For races, I've been wearing a Sugoi Turbo Tri top, which is longer than a sports bra. In that case, the HRM strap was an inch or so lower than the built in sports bra, but nicely concealed by the fabric part of the top.

Not sure if I just got lucky, or if the Timex setup is more comfy? I lost my HRM, and am in the market for a new one, so if anyone knows whether comfort is a real different between Timex and Pola, I'd love to hear from you.
Quote Reply