Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HRM/GPS recommendation
Quote | Reply
I'm considering buying a new HRM/GPS monitor. I have never used a GPS type monitor before.

I would like the device to:

1. tell me my pace in real time;
2. give me my HR in real time;
3. if possible, have a two position time - ie. I can program it to beep after 5 minutes, then after 2 minutes.

I'd love to hear suggestions.

Thanks.

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Re: HRM/GPS recommendation [Bing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this for biking and running, or just running?

I use my Garmin 405 for running and biking (just switch between sport modes), and like that the 405 can pick up my cadence etc. But, I wish the battery was longer and the watch a bit sturdier overall. Battery life is 8-10hrs I believe, I have found in the 7-8hr range. It is not a waterproof watch so you can't wear it swimming.

I want a 310xt, for the longer battery life. It's also waterproof. Me, my mom and his family went in on a 310xt for a xmas present for the bf, and I'm planning on stealing it for certain long stuff! That or getting my own.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM/GPS recommendation [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now just running, but likely will use cylcing come warmer weather.

Good thought on waterproof - I run in rain and snow, so that will be an issue !

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Re: HRM/GPS recommendation [Bing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Garmin 305 and haven't had any problems with it. I think that you'd be fine running in rain/snow - I know that I've been through several downpours with mine. Although the newer model is waterproof, I've heard that the GPS doesn't work well in water. Additionally, I haven't actually found a HRM that will work while swimming. I could be wrong about this one - but, I think that there is something with the chest strap and/or the communication between the devices. Not sure though.
The longer battery life on the new Garmin is appealing; however, with the exception of an IM, I can't think of a situation where I'd need longer battery life (and, since my 305 is still working well, I can't justify the expense).
Quote Reply
Re: HRM/GPS recommendation [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. The 405 is good for the GPS and HR tracking but a pain to use sometimes. I think the "bezel" sucks! It doesn't recognize the touch when you're wearing gloves or it changes too much if your wrist or clothing touch the rim. Also, you're right about the batter life. I think I'd try the 305 next time except it's so big and ugly!

Kristen

Founder Stiletto Sports Review
http://www.StilettoSportsReview.com
Quote Reply