Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good no-fridge breakfast
Quote | Reply
Hey! Any great ideas for a breakfast that can sit around for about 90 mins w/o a fridge and then be eaten w/o heating for after my swim workout and before I go to class for 3 hrs? It doesn't have to be "real" breakfast food either. Last week I tried a PB&J.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Good no-fridge breakfast [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Protein bars work. Also bananas and a handful of almonds

*Anne*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*Whole wheat bread, almond butter-banana-honey sandwich

*Container of yogurt, granola or muesli in a baggie, frozen blueberries in another baggie (they thaw while you swim) add, mix, stir, eat (yogurt is OK for 90min)

*apple and peanut butter and a bag of cereal to eat dry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vita-muffin or Vita muffin top. I love the chocolate and have one at night with a glass of milk. I like them heated but after 90 mins they would thaw and be room temp (still good).
There are a variety of flavors. No HFCS! and you get lots of your vitamins for the day.
These things are the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fruit is always good. Apples, pears, bananas... I tend to stay away from "messy", delicate, or fruit that isn't easily eaten with one hand.
VEL bars are awesome
Certain types of fruit bars can be decent. Not "real food", but not terribly far from the tree, either...
Ideally I like to have some fat and protein at breakfast - especially when just finishing, or just prior to a workout. PB&J, bread w/ Nutella, or even a sandwich made with "hardier" deli meats (salami, prosciutto, cooked bacon...) will easily withstand 90min on deck or a few hours in a bag.
An omelette on toast (allowed to cool before wrapping so it doesn't "sweat" and get mushy) is pretty awesome as well.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that yogurt can sit out for a bit and still be fine. Yogurt with uncooked oats and a serving of nuts.

Chocolate milk + piece of fruit + serving of nuts

Dry cereal + soymilk (you can buy soymilk in 1 serving containers and thus skip around the refrigeration part)

What class are you taking?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have an insulated lunch box thats pretty small. get some mini ice packs, toss in a greek yogurt, a bag of a serving of almonds, and some fruit for mix-ins in your yogurt. Apples and oranges travel well for me too.

If you need a mid-class snack, I just discovered the Turkish Figs they sell at Trader Joe's. Yuuuum!

Jen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i do this a lot- it can't be messy or potential to spill and ruin my clothing, has to be edible in the car while driving...
sometimes it will be greek yogurt w/ recoverite mixed in and 3/4 eaten before i leave the house
drink juice before leaving as well
any high protein shake drink in a box
greek yogurt mixed up with cereal
Lara bar plus any leftovers off the kids plates

eat and run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
microwave a sweet potato and slice it into 1/2 inch rounds. Salt them, put it back together and put in cling wrap. I usually put some almond butter on it. Or honey.

a hard boiled egg is a good alternative for protein. It would be fine to sit out of the fridge for 90 minutes before you eat it.

or string cheese.

You can also get a small soft side cooler and a reusable ice thingy. Keeps things plenty cold for 90 minutes. But 90 minutes isn't really that long to have things sit out if if they are chilled before hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Good no-fridge breakfast [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I am in grad school for the field of orthotics and prosthetics and have class on Wed. morning at 9am for business administration. Well, it just so happens that open swimming is 6:30am - 9am and it's set up long course - I usually get there around 7. I'll get up to swim long course for sure. I usually ride my bike to the pool and then ride to class.
I'll probably stick to the non-mini cooler ideas because of my messenger bag and swim backpack (I probably look goofy with two bags but I don't really care about looks).
Quote Reply