Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good Protein Powder for Women
Quote | Reply
Hi - I'm posting this for my wife…I'm helping her find a good, well recommended protein powder for women (doesn't have to be exclusively marketed for women). Not many specifics, she's basically looking for good/high protein content, low fat…etc. She's an athlete and active but not necessarily an endurance athlete…..running, weights, plyometrics etc.

I use optimum nutrition whey, but before she goes that route, she wanted some additional opinions.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Good Protein Powder for Women [estrbak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy a protein powder that is sweetened with Stevia (natural sweetener) instead of something artificial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Vega. They have a couple different varieties so it will depend on her taste which she likes.

Protein & Greens has 20g protein and Protein Shake has 15g. P&G has a little bit of grittiness to it and the shake has a little more sweetness.

Every morning I have a smoothie with soy/coconut/almond milk (whichever I have on hand) a handful of frozen berries, nut butter and a scoop of Vega. That gives me several hours of satiety before lunch and I have a nice carb/protein/fat distribution. Plus its yummy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: May 11, 16 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: Good Protein Powder for Women [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on the Vega. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the Protein and Greens I recommend the unflavored since the Vanilla seems to have a light chemical taste. It might be stevia which I hate. I haven't looked at the ingredients. Others may not be bothered by it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious - why a protein powder?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not eat real food instead of some powdered stuff? You don't need to consume protein during your training or racing. It should be part of your daily nutrition plan.

What is making her and you think she needs a protein powder instead of a real food? Even for vegetarians, there are many great and easy options for adding protein during the day (peanut butter, handful of almonds, eggs, quinoa, yogurt, beans, etc).

Just curious
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Good Protein Powder for Women [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brokenspoke wrote:
Why not eat real food instead of some powdered stuff? You don't need to consume protein during your training or racing. It should be part of your daily nutrition plan.

What is making her and you think she needs a protein powder instead of a real food? Even for vegetarians, there are many great and easy options for adding protein during the day (peanut butter, handful of almonds, eggs, quinoa, yogurt, beans, etc).

Just curious
BrokenSpoke

Yawn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
estrbak wrote:
brokenspoke wrote:

Just curious
BrokenSpoke

Yawn.

That's a bit of a rude response to someone who troubled to post a response to your query. An obviously sensible one, too.

http://www.nytimes.com/...itionism.t.html?_r=0
Quote Reply
Re: Good Protein Powder for Women [alexxm21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on that being a rude response.

alexxm21 was being nice when she said it was a "bit rude." It wasn't a bit rude. It was rude.

General question for the OP....is there even a difference between a protein powder for women vs. a protein powder for men? A protein is a protein, no? Unless there is compelling scientific evidence that there is a difference (besides a really pretty, expensive, pink package), then just use what she likes.

General opinion for the OP....eat food.

General rule for the OP....be more appreciative of responses on this forum. You may not get a 40-page debate on protein powders, but you will get terrific advice from very smart, thoughtful posters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Vega - I add it to my morning smoothie every day.

Frozen Berries
Frozen Banana Chunks
Pumpkin Seeds
Turmeric
Plain Yogurt
Spinach
Unsweetend Almond or Coconut Milk
Chia Seeds
Vega Vanilla
Quote Reply