Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giving a talk to women on training/exercise/health..any tips?
Quote | Reply
Hey Womens!

I have been tapped(coerced...pressured) to give a talk at a women's health forum regarding exercise and health. It is to focus on women's specific fitness issues for athletes of all ages and abilities...5k to ironman.
Has anyone been to a talk like this and have things they recommend I include or focus on? ...or have you given a talk like this before....and maybe have a PowerPoint I could peruse for ideas?
Thanks. I do a lot of public speaking but mostly on robotics, breast/ovarian CA, etc, so this is a new talk to put together.
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: Giving a talk to women on training/exercise/health..any tips? [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exercising, training, racing while pregnant
amenhorrea (sp.)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Giving a talk to women on training/exercise/health..any tips? [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of my thoughts...

Female athletic triad
Calcium intake, osteopenia, stress fractures
Training when trying to get pregnant
Training while pregnant
Resistance training
Healthy body fat
Knee injuries, Q angle, etc

I have a book called "The Female Athlete". Not a bad read and addresses many things that may be helpful to you audience.

http://www.amazon.com/...reland/dp/0721680291

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Giving a talk to women on training/exercise/health..any tips? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like a good book. If anyone asks about books about the female athlete triad, "The Female Athlete's Survival Guide" is the best book I've found on the subject.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add to your already long list to address well-endowed breast tissue while running; i.e. wear a good enough support bra to hold breasts firmly in place while performing high-impact activity.

Otherwise, face having to tuck them into your belt when you get older :-(

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Giving a talk to women on training/exercise/health..any tips? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Add to your already long list to address well-endowed breast tissue while running; i.e. wear a good enough support bra to hold breasts firmly in place while performing high-impact activity.

Otherwise, face having to tuck them into your belt when you get older :-(

Top of the list!!
HC

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought recent study showed that bras are what is making boobs sag. It didn't address sports bras/running, but if a regular bra leads to the muscles not working to hold them up and sagging later...
Quote Reply
Re: Giving a talk to women on training/exercise/health..any tips? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a small study of French women who aren't generally raised growth hormone-enhanced milk and whose breasts are significantly smaller than those of average American women, much less the overweight American population.

You can't 'flex' your breasts, only the pectoral muscles that lays behind them. If what's on top is pendulous, then gravity takes over and does its damage over time, leaving stretch marks and sagging without sufficient support.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it fits into your talk, I might give some tips about proper (and by proper, I mean comfortable) training attire (what is is, where to get it, how to know if it fits) and the fact that anyone who judges your license to wear such attire or how you look in it (headlights, lifted/separated breasts, see-thru-ness, cellulite, rolls, etc) is likely not worth knowing. This is a huge issue for me and I think there is room for women to lift each other up here, but instead our insecurities lead us to put each other down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In case you're still working on it....

Are the people in your audience already athletes, or are there going to be a lot of non-runner, non-exerciser types or some just starting out? I work with a few (overweight) women who are stubbornly resistant to "exercise" but were more receptive when I mentioned things like dancing and playing with their (overweight or on their way to being overweight) kids, swimming, kayaking, walking.... Then there are the health issues, although there seems to be an attitude that "I can take a pill for that." Sometimes pulling the "example you're setting for your kids" card helps.

Especially for casual or new exercisers - info on calories burned and calories needed during/after exercise - it's not as many as most people think!!

For those struggling with weight or nutrition - keep a food diary for a couple of days and record EVERY bite that goes in your mouth. There are some easy apps for that now.

For those struggling with time - schedule it in, short workouts are better than nothing, walk around the soccer/football/t-ball field while your kid practices if you feel that you can't leave. Carry basic workout gear (at least shoes and maybe some baby wipes and deoderant) in case you have an unexpected chance to sneak in a walk.

For those who already exercise - staying motivated (sign up for a walk/run, keep a log, using a website like StickK where you pay up if you don't meet your goals), and avoiding injuries. I went to a talk that had a lot of emphasis on the buddy system, but that's never worked for me - I was always the one who would show up, so I had to make up my mind that I was doing my workout even if everyone else cancelled.

Again for the non-exercising, unhealthy people - being obese is not normal or healthy, don't kid yourself just because you have friends who are bigger than you are (said in a more tactful way, maybe). Healthy is not the same as skinny, you don't have to starve yourself and be a waif!

If you come up with a good way to motivate anyone, let me know - it seems that nothing is going to help unless a person is ready and wants it badly enough, and nobody can do it for them. If there's a way to guide them in that direction, though....

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so when is this and if you did it already, what'd ya talk about and how was it received?

Quote Reply
Re: Giving a talk to women on training/exercise/health..any tips? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whew, glad that is over!! Haha. Actually it went really well.
The turn out was more middle age to older. I had put something for everyone...thanks for suggestions btw...so from athletes triad, pregnant, menopause, aging athlete. I opened it up for questions and spent over an hr addressing a bunch of stuff...it was like being in the office, but no co-pay!! And it was a nice dinner/open bar so drew a nice crowd.
HC

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious about what you said about menopause - that's been a frequent topic on the Womens, and it doesn't seem as if there's much info on endurance athletes and menopause. I work in an Ob/Gyn dept at a med school and have talked to a lot of my docs about it, but the most useful stuff I've learned has been from other women in the same situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about challenging the status quo and emphasizing the rewards inherent in a good goal other than weight ? In other words, let the attendees know that anyone can do a 5k or even a tri and that the ability to accomplish these has nothing to do with weight- it has to do with safe, consistent and appropriate training.
Quote Reply