Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Give me some breakfast ideas!
Quote | Reply
Ladies,
I need to some ideas to mix it up at breakfast, specifically some 'savoury' ideas! My "go to" is always granola/fruit/yoghurt or a bagel with PB. Why do you eat that isn't sweet and is easy to make?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Give me some breakfast ideas! [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oatmeal. Cheap, tasty, easy and healthy! I buy the quick oats by the 5lb box, super cheap and takes forever to go through. Somehow having a breakfast that takes a few minutes to cook actually makes me get out of bed on time.

I throw in nuts (almonds, walnuts or pecans) and raisins, frozen blueberries, strawberries or other fruit and about a tablespoon of wheatgerm.

As mentioned, it's cheap and easy, but they key thing for me is that I can eat it before a swim workout and not have my stomach go into revolt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggs benedict

frittata

omelettes

huevos rancheros = fried eggs with some refried beans & salsa

"mexican breakfast lasagne" = quiche with multiple layers of tortilla

latkes with fried eggs & salsa

english breakfast = baked beans & sausages

breakfast pizza = fritatta on bread dough crust

fritatta muffins w/homemade bread dough

even leftovers from the night before. i've quite happily eaten a can of salmon over asparagus, with a few drops of lemon juice and a few good grinds of fresh pepper for breakfast throw it all in the microwave for 2mins to steam the asparagus and heat the fish.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
HOLY CRAP!!! I am now hungry, even though I just ate. I can smell that wonderful kitchen from here =)

When someone pulls laws out of their @$$, all we end up with are laws that smell like sh!t. -Skippy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't call it crazy until you try it.... but super cheap. And Easy. And GOOD!

Oatmeal, with an egg cooked in, with salsa and shredded cheese. I top it with Franks. :D

_____

Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me some breakfast ideas! [Dr.TriRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you put a raw egg in with the oatmeal and microwave it together?? ok, ok...i see where this is going, scrambled oatmeal?.... you dont just crack the egg and let it be all runny on the oats right?
thinking about this right now..you might be on to something?

Isaiah 40:31 - Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me some breakfast ideas! [onyurleft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you crack an egg on super hot oatmeal and stir it in, it will cook. Most Japanese people eat hot rice with an egg on top for breakfast!
Quote Reply
Re: Give me some breakfast ideas! [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy cow, that looks good. All of it! It's lunch time here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! That all looks AMAZING! Guess I need to learn to cook (I have been known to burn water, ahem.)
Thanks for the ideas, I'll put these to good use as of tomorrow morning. I bet the kids will even eat most of this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to eat sweet potatoes for breakfast (or any meal/snack). I eat them hot or cold. Just stick them in them microwave fro 5 minutes or so. top with cinnamon, peanut butter, almond butter, or yogurt.

you can cook them then slice them into 3/4 inch or so rounds and just eat them with your fingers.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me some breakfast ideas! [onyurleft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it depends if you're doing it in the microwave or on the stove...

On the stove, I usually just stir an egg in near the end. The other posters are right though, if you do it in the microwave you can use the heat of the oats to cook the egg. I'm always a little skeeved out by undercooked eggs though so I usually crack the egg in with a minute and a half left on the microwave timer.

I said cheese/salsa/hot sauce, but you can totally take it any direction you want. I've made a version with soy sauce, scallions, and mushrooms before too! I guess it's essentially just replacing rice with oatmeal. :D

_____

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yummmm that frittata on top (pictured next to the bacon) looks amazing. Do you mind sharing the recipe?!

_____

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hot pockets
Quote Reply
Re: Give me some breakfast ideas! [gcombs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said you don't want sweet stuff. I am not a fan of solid food at breakfast --- my breakfast is often a luna bar pre workout, and then 16 oz chocolate soymilk after. I'll have an apple midmorning.

If it were a short workout, I'd do 8 oz chocolate soymilk mixed with 8 oz unsweetened to cut the sugar in it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr.TriRunner wrote:
Yummmm that frittata on top (pictured next to the bacon) looks amazing. Do you mind sharing the recipe?!

crack about 6 eggs (for 9" frittata) into a bowl and beat with fork, adding a splash of milk (i use about 1/4 cup almond milk), a dash of salt, and a few good grinds of fresh pepper.

add chopped veggies - that particular one had red peppers, mushrooms and asparagus. a couple of handfuls should be plenty.

pour it all into a sprayed/greased pie plate and bake for ~45mins at ~375f. it'll be slightly browned on top, and should have pulled away from the sides a bit.

feel free to modify ingredients as you like - process is pretty much the same for all quiche/frittata-type things shown. if you lay a tortilla in the pie plate before pouring in the egg mixture, then add another on top with salsa, you get the mexican breakfast pita. if you put a layer of bread dough in the pie plate before adding the egg mix, you get breakfast pizza. cheese is awesome in all of them, but doesn't play well with me.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
another thing that I eat are baked oatmeal muffins.

1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup applesauce, 2 eggs, 1 cup dried fruits/chopped nuts mix and bake until done at 400 degrees.

You can add in stevia, vanilla, cinnamon, or other things for flavor. I usually make a couple batches then keep them in the fridge and just grab 1-2 when hungry.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me some breakfast ideas! [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ghia Girl, do I remember you having a vegan brownie recipe, somehere? or did I make that up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crap, i just realized i gave the wrong recipe for frittata (i'm making one right now) - you can do the "bake in pie plate" method, and it'll be a fine crustless quiche, but to properly be frittata:

- beat eggs in bowl
- grease and pre-heat oven-safe skillet on stove top @ medium-low
- lightly sautee veggies in skillet
- pour beaten eggs over veggies and let cook undisturbed for a few minutes
- place skillet under broiler for a few minutes until top is set and browned.

spinach, asparagus and king oyster, cremini & white mushrooms this morning.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Grits with cheese and butter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.foodnetwork.com/...st-recipe/index.html

I use challah.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
Dr.TriRunner wrote:

crack about 6 eggs (for 9" frittata) into a bowl and beat with fork, adding a splash of milk (i use about 1/4 cup almond milk), a dash of salt, and a few good grinds of fresh pepper.

add chopped veggies - that particular one had red peppers, mushrooms and asparagus. a couple of handfuls should be plenty.

pour it all into a sprayed/greased pie plate and bake for ~45mins at ~375f. it'll be slightly browned on top, and should have pulled away from the sides a bit.

feel free to modify ingredients as you like - process is pretty much the same for all quiche/frittata-type things shown. if you lay a tortilla in the pie plate before pouring in the egg mixture, then add another on top with salsa, you get the mexican breakfast pita. if you put a layer of bread dough in the pie plate before adding the egg mix, you get breakfast pizza. cheese is awesome in all of them, but doesn't play well with me.

cheers!

-mistress k

So, this recipe for a crustless quiche then? Add in the tortillas for the Mexican breakfast quiche? And then the skillet recipe is the true recipe for the frittata?

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Give me some breakfast ideas! [S. Pinkfontaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great ideas :)

I love an omlette with 2 whole eggs/4 whites and stuffed with spinach, LF cottage cheese and hot sauce!

Quote | Reply
JenniferLeah wrote:
Great ideas :)

I love an omlette with 2 whole eggs/4 whites and stuffed with spinach, LF cottage cheese and hot sauce!

Mmm!! So now the important question: Sriracha or Franks? :D

_____

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oooh. tough choice! we love both but gotta say I LOVE Tabasco Chipotle :) smokey and hot. YUMMMMMM

**which now makes me laugh about a previous post**

Quote | Reply
Dr.TriRunner wrote:
Don't call it crazy until you try it.... but super cheap. And Easy. And GOOD!

Oatmeal, with an egg cooked in, with salsa and shredded cheese. I top it with Franks. :D

Franks= Franks HOT SAUCE
I was thinking Franks=HOT DOGS LOL!
Sounded yummy to me until I read that part :)

Prev Next