Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gift for soon-to-be first time mom
Quote | Reply
My wife's birthday is this Saturday, and we're putting together a combination birthday party/baby shower for her. We have just about everything we'll need for the baby (due in 4 weeks), and I'd rather get her something that's mom, not baby, oriented. She's a long-time runner, and can't wait to get back on the road, but I think the gift should be focused on her transition to motherhood, this being our first (and very likely, last) foray into such business.

Any ideas, sentimental or practical?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Gift for soon-to-be first time mom [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when my sister had a baby her husband was asking around for the same type of thing. he bought her a really nice cashmere dressing gown/housecoat to wear when their son was screaming for her in the middle of the night.
Quote Reply
Re: Gift for soon-to-be first time mom [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had thought of that. I think her mother took care of that already, but I'll have to check.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing that most new mothers need is time to take care of themselves. That may mean time to take a nap, time to go for a walk, time to take a bath...whatever. However, that's not really a gift you can wrap up and give her on Saturday.

Short of that, how about a shopping trip to her favorite running store for some new stuff? Her body shape is going to be different after the baby - even after she loses the baby weight - so she might need some new running/workout clothes. My feet are one size bigger now, so she might need new running shoes. Besides, it's always fun to get new workout clothes.

Another nice thought is a beautiful leather-bound writing journal. I just got one from my husband recently. I wish I had started when my kids were young, but better late than never. If she writes down a few thoughts each night as your child grows, that would be a wonderful thing to share with him/her when they are older.

If she doesn't already have one, an ipod that she can take while going on a walk/hike with the baby is also a good idea. Lots of podcasts that she can download. When you're home with a newborn baby, there's a lot of alone time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend at work due in 2 months.

Before she knew she was pregnant (though she was having morning sickness; at least she threw up after the race and we decided to blame the baby), but she was preggers, I ran her in in a half. My bf took some pictures, and she'd asked for one for the baby book she's making.

Something like that might be nice - a framed pic of her running while pregnant? Don't know if she did any races, but my friend is really excited about the picture, b/c it's the first race she ran with her baby :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is baby related, but it's really helpful for a new mom/runner - do you already have a jog stroller? Invaluable :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a new mom the BEST gift I received was dinners. My friends got together and every other night someone brought my family dinner (cooked and ready) to eat...this lasted for 3 months! I tell you what, knowing that I never had to think about cooking anything in the evening (when I was completely wore out) was priceless for me. Each person made enough for 2 meals. Anyhow it might be something you suggest to her friends. Congrats too btw. :)

Quote | Reply
A friend gave my a gift certificate for a pedicure. It felt great when I couldn't touch my own toes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have loved a treadmill for those first few months when you cant take the baby in a jogging stroller, and later for bad weather or times when you just can't get out and dont have babysitting.
Quote Reply
Re: Gift for soon-to-be first time mom [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make a coupon book for naps, meals, getting up in the middle of the night (we alternated on that one), escape from the house for a run, shopping spree, night out with the girls, housework,...

Nice thing about the meals was I really had to learn to cook... her big payoff came later after she started working as a tax accountant. Jan 1 to April 15 I'm a skilled house husband : )

Jay
Quote Reply