Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC
Quote | Reply
Congrats Maggs!! You're killing it lately :) So impressed!

Rach
Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! Good for her.....very impressive indeed. :-)

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woo-hoo Maggs! It must be all that homemade kombucha & keifer. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet! Well done, GG!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So glad you posted the result! (I looked earlier, but it wasn't up and I just woke up from a nap)
So, maybe this does go to prove my theory about Lake Stevens... if Maggs is indeed racing so well, then maybe this Lyme Disease thing was made up so as to not look like a fool when I kicked her ass :) hehe

CONGRATS MAGGS! :D

Quote | Reply
Awesome job GG! Kona here you come!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YAY MAGGS!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! remind me NEVER to swim in the Hudson again! ICK! I got stung by jellyfish??? at least I hope that's what was stinging me, and I kept grabbing in the water. If I come down with any more mysterious illnesses someone tell the doctor I swam in and swallowed some of the Hudson.
Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job!! And yeah, ick on the jelly fish.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Great job!! And yeah, ick on the jelly fish.

clm
TOTALLY ick on the jellyfish!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping they were jellyfish! When I was swimming I was convincing myself they were giant pieces of moss and that the stinging on my wrist was my race bracelet cutting into me. After the race someone said something about jellyfish, and I don't know if jellyfish live in the Hudson (somewhat salty water when I took a gulp), but I hope so!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read something else about a girl getting stung on her wrists and feet, but didn't know what it was until she got stung on her cheek - then she realized it was jelly fish (think this is in the main forum?). Crazy Hudson!

Quote | Reply
Jellyfish? That's insane! I wouldn't have thought they would be in a river. I'm sure it was just moss. The stinging kind. Yeah, that's it. :-)

--------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats GhiaGirl!

That's a long ass plane ride from Hawaii......
Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live about 2 blocks from the swim start, and went down to watch the swim start and cheer at swim exit. When I looked over the edge and saw the HUGE jellyfish (dinner plate size) floating in the river. I thought "this is not going to be good." I run on the Hudson at least once per week and I have NEVER seen that many jellyfish in the river before- trash? yes, Jellyfish? No. Have seen 1-2 randoms floating, but NEVER so many.

After watching the Pros and elites swim by, I headed down to cheer at the swim out (it's a point-to-point swim). I stood there for about 1.5 hours, and almost everyone that came out was talking about the jellyfish. People had stings on their arms, faces, feet, legs...it was crazy.

The best comment I heard was from 2 of the faster male swimmers. As they were running out/taking down their wetsuits, one guy yells at the other

"Were those jellyfish stinging us?"

The other guy responds "Yea, them jellyfish are BITCHES!" ha- classic

www.loveofshoes.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job!! That water sounds nasty.
Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [LittleNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's crazy - I wonder why so many appeared all at once? Weird. And bad timing, during a race! I've been stung by a jellyfish before and it sucks. Funny comment by the guys.....

--------------------

Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [Tightey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a long trip, but I flew in to visit my sister who lives in the city, so doing the race was just an added bonus/fun.
Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, thankfully it was a wetsuit swim. Not so for the pros.

I guess the jellyfish were totally unexpected, never happened before. In hawaii they show up the same time after a full moon, I wondered if that's the case here, just nobody knows because people don't usually swim in the hudsonl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you have little red welts where the stings occurred? I have a friend that breaks out into a body rash the next day after jelly fish stings in a tri swim - slight allergy. I've seen the big Globe Jellies in the gulf (no stings) and jillions of tiny ones, but not the kind described by folks at the NYTri. I would have guessed a lot of things you may have encountered in the Hudson - but jellies would not have been on the list.
Last edited by: Tightey: Jul 21, 08 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder what other freaky things that "don't belong" live in the Hudson... ? That is seriously weird.
Congratulations on a great race!
Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [Tightey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No red marks. I don't have a severe reaction to jelly fish (been stung a few times in Hawaii), but after I found out they were in the water, there was no doubt that's what stung me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! :)

Isaiah 40:31 - Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint.
Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I read something else about a girl getting stung on her wrists and feet, but didn't know what it was until she got stung on her cheek - then she realized it was jelly fish (think this is in the main forum?). Crazy Hudson!"

I said something like that. Not sure if I ever want to race in the Hudson again, but I think the jellyfish were out of the ordinary this year.

Great job Maggs! I hope your trip to sign up for Lake Placid was okay and you are all ready for trapeze lessons now!
Quote Reply
Re: GhiaGirl was 11th elite amateur today in NYC [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I did the trapeze lessons Sunday afternoon (posted some pics of it in my blog after my race report)...sooo much fun!

Got signed up for Lake Placid and am now headed back to Hawaii. Thanks again for hooking me up with my ride up to Lake Placid. They were so excited to get signed up and it was a fun trip.
Quote Reply

Prev Next