Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Getting my mojo back?
Quote | Reply
Life threw me a giant curve ball two months ago and I've fallen off the running wagon, big time. Since the beginning of Sept I've run maybe 5 times. I used to find joy in running but now I just don't care about it. I've considered selling my treadmill. I have a brand new pair of running shoes I bought at the end of August that haven't been worn. I gave up my bike last year and will have to drop the gym membership to save $. I can't afford to take classes or buy a bunch of videos. Basically if I don't own it now, it isn't in the budget.

The stress isn't going anywhere and will get worse over the coming months. It has drained me dry.

Help me. I used to be the one giving encouragement to get people out the door, now I can't even follow my own advice.

Probably I'm asking for the impossible but I'm sure all of you can relate at some level. Maybe I'm looking for a little sympathy as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my mojo back? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jen, it will be a long haul for you but things are going to change and you are going to feel better. You will want to run again, don't sell your stuff or throw it away. It is hard to see right now, but you have nothing but opportunity ahead of you. In times of extreme stress, you just need to survive. Push yourself a little bit, maybe even just go for a walk instead of run, to get some fresh air. Do you have someone that would walk or run with you? You might need a training buddy for accountability.

You are going to struggle for a while and then you are going to grow a lot and eventually you will be glad for the experience. It's going to be tough, but try to trust yourself and take care of yourself. Find little bits of happiness in each day and try to replicate it. When I was at my worst stress, it was the middle of winter, I was living in western Oregon where it rains a lot, and I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I walked every night and found myself enjoying the various elements. I would make myself hot chocolate when I got home and lost myself in bad TV. Eventually, I got through it. I am glad to know that I can trust myself to get through tough times.

My advice is: make your well being a priority and don't judge yourself right now. Take care of yourself, the rest of it will follow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Erika said.

I should put you in touch with other Jen since you all are in the same vicinity. I'll see her next weekend.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the same place exactly, but I wanted to run and could not, physically, and still can't. I'd get somuch satisfaction filling out my running log....and now, can't do that anymore.
I know you can't buy DVDs-but what helped me SOOOO much was doing something totally 100% different than the swim/bike/run. I stopped caring totally about tris and started doing yoga and core/boot camp style workouts...that you can find online also for free. But I think the important thing is keep moving, somehow. For me it works as a sort of anti depressant...I need to do something.
You don't HAVE to run right now, not to say you never will again, just find something else, for now, but keep moving!

It's maybe hard to believe right now but it WILL get better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great advice here already. Give yourself time to heal. Don't beat yourself up because you're not running 30+ miles a week. For now, just do something for yourself every day. Take a walk, take a bubble bath, buy a new book, make yourself a great dinner, reconnect with friends, etc. I also think you should try doing something different from an activity point of view. Join a bowling team or softball team, take yoga at the community center, join a walking or hiking club, etc Mix it up so you're not doing the same old thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second everything everyone's said so far. I have had my budget slashed this year, and therefore I have re-discovered the joys of the public library! They will loan you books for free... and they have music, videos, and movies too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think the jog-a-dog will be one of the best things you can possibly do for yourself, along with making a pup very happy!

other than that, i agree with what has been said about going for a walk, taking a bubble bath, and just generally keeping yourself moving while offering yourself some extra relaxation. don't stress about doing "real training", but hiking a favourite trail and taking some photos is good for the soul.

youtube has tons of videos for basic yoga routines (check out tara stiles' channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/MTSTaraStiles); the internal focus of yoga might help you find some peace.

wishing you all the very best to find your mojo again!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Laughter is great medicine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPv2toi5og
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some really great advice here!

One thing that I find can make a big difference is music. Going for a walk or run with some great tunes, dancing in the dark at home or just singing along.

Upbeat music, sad music...it's all great at either lifting your spirits and giving you energy or helping you release all the hurt and tension.

Know in the back of your head that it will get easier. Focus on the present and doing what you need to do to get thru it and don't worry about the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It has drained me dry.

When this happens, I go back to the island for a few days. That's my "place." Do you have a place - a take-a-trip place or current activity that makes you feel centered? I know travel is probably not in the budget, so I'm thinking somewhere nearby, or go crash at a friend's house for a weekend. Different physical location = a break, sometimes. Doesn't have to be fancy. You could even camp, if the weather works for that.

One of my favorite posts ever from you was when you guys had no power for 3 days and you had to snowshoe for like 4 hours to get groceries. Do you have snow yet? Going out in fresh snow on snowshoes would be a new/different activity.

Are you working right now? If not - or if so - do you have time to do some volunteer work? Being with kids is emotionally recharging for me. Is being with kids emotionally recharging for you? If not, what other types of volunteering would be, if any? Working with the elderly, in a soup kitchen, ? (No pets - you'll bring 'em all home!)

What little things help you reduce stress "in the moment" on a daily basis? Make a list and keep it around. Things like "reading funny stories" or "meditation" or "listening to _______ [song/artist]."

You said you wanted sympathy and that's fine to ask for. What are your other emotional needs aside from sympathy/empathy from others, and less stress? How can you meet those?

I hope that helps in some small way.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything that has been said is great. Have you thought about reading to seniors or children a couple hours each week? It sure helps me when I feel lousy about me.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with a lot of the responses! I understand how you feel- don't make any rash decision (i.e. Getting rid of the treadmill) When you feel ready again, you will be glad you kept it. Take care of yourself and know that time is your friend.

Amanda

I'm here to race- myself and you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I had more to add to all the great comments that everyone has already provided...

I can offer positive thoughts and empathy though! Hang in there girl -- just because you are not running now doesn't mean you will NEVER run again. Sometimes all we can do is get through one second at a time...then one minute at a time, and then one hour at a time.

Good luck, take care of YOU, and positive energy is coming your way!

Hugs!

http://www.runningwithdoggies.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my mojo back? [followmybliss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. Usually running provides relief from stress but this may be too much noise in my brain even for that. I've missed the fall leaves almost completely because I haven't been outside to notice. This weekend would be a good time for a walk so I can catch a glimpse of them before they blow away.

Great advice all around. I signed up for a Jog-a-Dog program at the local Humane Society that starts in Dec/Jan. That will be a great commitment to have. Every Saturday I need to do at least 5k. That may be the only run I get in that week but at least it is one.

I'll get through all of this, I just wish I could fast forward 6 months.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it is little cheezy but everytime I feel low and need a little kick to snap back to reality it works like magic...

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you!"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more voice in agreement with others have already said about cutting yourself some slack (and not selling your treadmill/equipment.) I know we're heading into Depression Weather Central here in Seattle, but try to get out there for a walk or a hike. For all of it's gloom, it is still pretty out there and getting out into nature will lift your mood.

Some other budget-friendly thoughts for you:
* check your local library for fitness DVD's. I'm endlessly amazed at what our libraries have in stock.
* take advantage of intro offers/groupons for local yoga/fitness studios. There are some decent deals to be had given the state of the economy and the ridiculous number of studios in this hippie town of ours. :-) Similarly, you can sometimes find cheap class options through local community colleges, etc.

I've not been through exactly what you're dealing with, but I've been in some tough places in my life. Recognize that this won't last forever, even though that seems impossible right now. Have patience that you'll get through this and come out the other side stronger. Exactly like the lows you hit during an Ironman or one of those crazy-talk long running races you do.

Hang in there!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my mojo back? [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those of you in the north, consider getting a "SAD" light, use it 30 to 45 min in the AM. It stimulates the eyes. Also double up on Vitamin D, 2000mg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give yourself about another 90 days to absorb the changes. Major upheaval in life usually takes more time than you expect to recover from. Then , you have to find your new normal. 6 months after your life-changing event, your mojo will find you!

Good luck; this too, shall pass...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my mojo back? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Give yourself about another 90 days to absorb the changes. Major upheaval in life usually takes more time than you expect to recover from. Then , you have to find your new normal. 6 months after your life-changing event, your mojo will find you!

Good luck; this too, shall pass...

x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen, I feel for ya. I went thru a divorce from early 2006 for about a year (it took that long to get it all sorted - Feb 2006 to Feb 2007). It was extremely stressful. My running tanked at the same time too, and my finances were completely in limbo/on hold. I knew the running would come back when I was ready, as would my credit score haha. It probably took another year after the divorce was finalized to actually enjoy running again, so a good 24+ months.

My immediate thoughts:
- keep the shoes
- sell the treadmill
- drop the gym
- run whenever the hell you want and don't beat yourself up if you don't
- save your pennies you will need them
- invest a few pennies in fuzzy socks, nice warm pjs, and netflix subscription
- do things that you haven't done in a while, maybe connect with people you haven't talked to in a while, remember a big part of this process is answering the question "who am I?"
- hunker down and get thru winter sane - spring will bring you out if you're ready

Hang in there.

Andy

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jen
Awesome advice from all. You gave me such good advice last week when I was feeling lower than low!! If you can't see yourself running right now, try going for a walk. That has helped me. Maybe not huge fitness gains, but at least it will get you outside breathing in the fresh cool fall air. I like to walk at night when everything is still.

Maybe try looking at some future goal and connect it to now. If I walk around the block tonight then next week I can next week I can jog around the block... then next month I can jog 5k or 2k or 10k or... It doesn't matter if you stay on schedule or even move forward really. Just keep the wheels turning.

Or try something totally new. I am going to phone on Monday about taking a squash lesson. I know that I will totally suck at it, but that is okay cause it is new and I will be just learning and it will be fun and I know I will laugh at myself. I also thought about teaching myself to draw and letting the creative half of my brain express itself for a little while. There should be lots of how-to lessons on the internet. Find something new to make your own.

Don't sell your stuff - I am willing to bet that it is worth more to you than you will ever get if you sell it and you will only have to pay more to buy it again when you come out of this slump. And you will come out of it - you are already on your way... look at how far you have come!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Life threw me a giant curve ball two months ago and I've fallen off the running wagon, big time. Since the beginning of Sept I've run maybe 5 times. I used to find joy in running but now I just don't care about it. I've considered selling my treadmill. I have a brand new pair of running shoes I bought at the end of August that haven't been worn. I gave up my bike last year and will have to drop the gym membership to save $. I can't afford to take classes or buy a bunch of videos. Basically if I don't own it now, it isn't in the budget.

The stress isn't going anywhere and will get worse over the coming months. It has drained me dry.

Help me. I used to be the one giving encouragement to get people out the door, now I can't even follow my own advice.

Probably I'm asking for the impossible but I'm sure all of you can relate at some level. Maybe I'm looking for a little sympathy as well.

Can i be honest with you from a mans point of view..........? Id be happy if you said no. :/ I have a terrible ability to speak my belief.

"A wise man once told me......God doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called."
Last edited by: SM937: Nov 5, 11 21:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen I'm rarely on slowtwitch these days. I know things are lousy for you right now but don't be so hard on yourself. If you're able lean on your close friends as I'm certain they have leaned on you in the past. Recruit a buddy whether it's for a walk to a favourite coffee shop or a hike in the rain. Moving in the fresh air - no matter what type of movement it is - is really good for the soul - even in the rain. Get out into nature - discover a local trail etc. Breathe, move, and in time things will settle themselves for you in a new and better place. But please, be kind to yourself.

You might also want to look into yoga. Lots of great free apps for you little phone and I'm sure there is plenty to read on line. I can't tell you how much I'm loving yoga these days for my body, and most importantly my soul.

Karen

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my mojo back? [YVR K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone. You all are right. I need to be patient with myself and know I'll get back out there. In the meantime my running shoes will wait patiently next to my treadmill.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually wanted to thank you for posting this. I am in a similar place and fighting to find/keep/dust off the mojo. I guess I wanted you to know that you helped just by ensuring me I was not alone. I am going to try to take advantage of this fine NW weather and get out there today, but have been trying all day!

Hang in there. You are powerful beyond measure!

Prev Next