Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting back to it.
Quote | Reply
So this is my first forum post, my Sweetness posts all the time and seems to find great answers here so I thought I would give it a whirl.

I am a runner who seems to lose the motivation to train after my last big race of the season. Typically I run a half marathon in Sept and a duothalon around the same time. I was able to stay trained through an illness and run an additional Half marathon at the end of October. Now here comes the issue....November.

Every November I cut back just to give my body time to heal. I try to get it back every December but motivation dies off. Illness, holidays, kids sport, the cold, skiing all seem to take away my want to go run.

How do I get it back?? I have signed up for a half in April and I know I can train but I always worry not being trained enough. So how do I get it back?
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back to it. [ixraeyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! Hi. Welcome.

I'm new and dumb. But I do know that it's pretty normal for people to fall out of their routines over November and December, so I don't think you're at all alone in this. Also, quite a few of us who hang out in The Womens are signed up for half marathons in March/April. One way to get motivated is maybe to hang out here and chat about half marathon prep.

Mostly, though, my one observation is that you talk about a lot of big goals in your post. A half marathon months from now, and the entire season. That's a lot to think about when you are wiggling your dormant muscles for the first time in a few months, just thinking about getting used to training again. Have you tried breaking your training up into smaller, eminently achievable goals? Like, don't think "I have to train for a big race in April!" Instead think "I'm going on a short, easy run today to shake out my legs." And think about the reward being just that nice feeling we get when we've worked out a little bit (or ice cream can be your reward, whatever, something small and immediate).

The other thing is that (I think?) it takes 3 weeks to form a new habit, on average. If you can make it a day or two, then extend that for a few weeks, you're far more likely to find a groove and keep going.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome ixraeyou!

I'm originally a runner who has battled a recurring injury and took almost a decade off so I have had more practice than I've wanted "getting back to it." Here are my tips:

Give yourself the grace you'd give someone in your position.
Be patient and have a process (for example,take time to build up mileage/volume).
Don't compare your initial times to PRs and peak performances.
Set big goals but celebrate your progress and milestones along the way.

Also, Dr.Cupcake, GiantNewb, and I are all running spring races if you want an accountability buddy.

Good luck!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back to it. [TwoDollarSteak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you ladies so much.

I got out today for 20 min and it felt good. I am hoping to get another few easy 20-30 min runs in this week and build from there.

Happy running :)
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back to it. [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb such great advice, stop saying you are dumb! Will allow the Newb for a little while, but this time next year you'll need to amend your name :)

Agree that OP may be trying to pack too much into a short period of time; building and building up to a "big race" can lead to a big physical and emotional let down, perhaps coinciding with holidays, etc. There is nothing wrong with taking some time off, and it's great you are skiing and doing other things(family!)

You mentions 'kids sports', Ixraeyou, is it possible to do a little running with the kids? Maybe an opportunity to do an easy fun run without training purpose.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back to it. [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb, that is some true wisdom. I also found having a training group or training partner to keep me motivated, even if it is just meeting one person and just once a week. Then you have to be there because they depend on you so they don't have to workout alone, plus you need to stay in shape to keep up with them! #lifewithafastwife
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post is super timely for me too - so thanks for posting!

I agree with everyone else, and I'm going to take the "mini-goal" advice from Giant Newb.

I'm very off/on with training. Mostly due to having little kids with too many germs. Hoping we are almost done with the "daycare plague" phase of life.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back to it. [TwoDollarSteak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TwoDollarSteak wrote:
Also, Dr.Cupcake, GiantNewb, and I are all running spring races if you want an accountability buddy.

Add me to this pile - I'm shooting for a March 13.1, and a May 26.2 and 50K. (It seemed like a good idea at the time.)

I have had a heck of a time with my last few seasons - an emergency surgery that derailed one, knee issues that knocked me out right at the beginning of a season, a couple of failed attempts at 70.3 that mentally screwed me up... You're not alone. I decided at the end of summer 2019 I was going to really get behind off season, so that I could come in fresh in the new year. And here we are, and although I haven't rebuilt my consistency muscles yet, I am starting to find I'm itching to get back to doing things.

I love the idea about mini-goals, and the reminder that doing something is better than nothing. I'm trying to get back in the habit of doing things by starting small; a couple of miles here, an hour there, swim 1000 yards... They may not feel like much on their own, but they are all deposits in the fitness bank.

Come join us in the weekly check-in thread, ixrae!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello! I think this is a fantastic topic to bring up (especially as we start to enter the later months of winter when all we want is Spring and sunshine to come!) As an athlete and coach I tend to think of the time at the beginning of an "off season" as a time to explore and, as mentioned already, a time to ve patient and not so hard on yourself! I like to approach it as the "we'll see!" time.

Setting aside a time each day, but with no real plans, has worked for me. And then when it comes to that time I'll decide which sport (could be swim bike or run, or rock climb, hike, ski etc) and go into it saying "we'll see!" I may go for an hour run, or I may do 20 minutes. Maybe I'll go to the pool and just focus on nailing down some form problems, or practicing flip turns, or doing a whole workout with the buoy. I've found allowing for that time to listen to what your body is saying, and provide a space for some creative juices to flow, will get you into a swing again, and soon enough you'll really be ready to buckle back down and feel mentally and physically refreshed!

I wish you the best for this period and hope you find something that clicks for you!!

Summer Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - ATAQ Fuel
Deals on Wheels - Race reports, pictures, sponsors, and more!
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back to it. [summerdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I think I got it back... I have been able to run for the last 5 days straight, I have been doing short runs 3 days a weeks and skiing every weekend. I was proud to run for and hour on Sunday.

I ended up in a bigger funk than I wanted. Shortly after my post my Father passed away and I didn't have the want to do anything. My Sweetness was and continues to be an amazing support to me and my kids. Now that basketball season has come to a close for my Daughter I am finding it easier to have the will to run. My Dad was always proud of my running and I will continue in honor of him.

I have a little over 5 weeks until the half I am planning on running. I think I will be OK. I told someone I will do it, I will finish it but it may not be pretty.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I will try to be better at posting.

Thank you all for the support.

IXrae.
Quote Reply