Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting back into swimming
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone-

I ran my second marathon just over a month ago and decided to really ramp up the run mileage in training (which went well!). But unfortunately fell out of the habit of swimming. Last year, I worked really hard at swimming and went from a 1:45 100 (scy) to 1:25.... Its been about two months since I swam regularly, and I've just gotten back into the pool... I can really feel the muscle Ive lost and my times are SLOW!

In getting back into shape, is it better to shorten the work outs and work up weekly volume? Or, keep 3k scy work outs and swim on a slower interval?

(or should I just HTFU and go to masters?...Im honestly too embarrassed because Im SO slow now!!)

Thanks for your advice!

Jen
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into swimming [JNelly7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, when and what are you planning to race? With that some of the folks here will be more able to give you a better response.

Based on the info you provided, my personal recommendation would be to up the number of times a week you swim even if it means cutting back on the yardage. The rational is that if you're getting in and doing 3K but half of that has really poor technique then all you're doing is teaching your body bad habits and running the risk of injury (says the gal who has made her PT a rich rich man!). Shorter workouts will enable you to retain good technique throughout and by going more often during the week you will likely more quickly regain muscle memory.

Even if you are doing shorter total workouts, you should still focus on throwing in some longer sets within that workout. 4x500, 8x200 - that type of thing. Just because the total yardage is shorter doesn't necessarily mean the workout is any easier. :)

For what it's worth, swimming is honestly one of the hardest sports to come back from after some time off. I call it the "wet noodle" syndrome because that's how you feel, like a wet noodle with no strength or stamina whatsoever.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into swimming [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply!

My first sprint is early in June, and I'm planning a half in July. Beyond that, I'll probably do a couple of olys in August too. Its my third or fourth season doing tri's. Prior to my time off, I typically swam 3x's/week, about 10k/week total, and usually a LOT of intervals. But my god, Im so slow now. It might be better to do 2k, four days a week, but it sounds like I should hold off on shorter/hard intervals? (Like 50's, 100's?).

Sorry to hear about your injuries, that sucks, PT is a drag!

Jen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This time of year definitely work long sets and hold off on intervals unless you want to do something like 20x100s just for the heck of it. You can incorporate shorter intervals in around April and you'll be more then fine. Technique is what matters now - get that down perfect and be able to hold it for longer distances and speed will follow.

Have fun!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Join Masters,
if you really did get to 1:25/100scy then you should fall right back into it after about 2wks - 1month of consistent masters
during that 2wks or so, you could just jump in the ~1:40 lane and you will be back to 1:25 in no time.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into swimming [Jagerstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of interest, how did you get from 1.45 to 1.25? that's a hell of a jump. Am seriously impressed.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into swimming [triFP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! thanks! I never really worked on swimming before last year, just sort of plugged along slowly and aimlessly. Last fall, I decided to really work at it, and started doing lots of intervals. (mostly 100's). Or, sets like: 500, 100 fast, 400, 2 x 100 fast, 300, 3 x 100 :40, 200, 4 x 100 :40, 100 EZ, 5 x 100 :35. Stuff like that, plus sets like 10 x 100 (with a warm up/cool down of course). I almost never missed a swim work out (usually swam 3-4k, 3x's/week) and always finished whatever set I had planned, nomatter what, for about six or seven months straight.

Of course, I totally suck now! But I'll keep the hope alive that I can get back into it.

Jen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know you can do it if you just apply yourself to training so just get er done! I'm doing the same thing after having a baby. Even though I swam throughout my pregnancy I'm swimming slow. I know I'll get back, it's just going to have to work hard. At least you don't have a jelly belly!
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into swimming [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Erika!

Congrats on your baby, thats so exciting. I hope everything has been going well.

And I sort of DO have a jelly belly... but in my defense, there's a buffalo wild wings right next door to where I work.... ;) But all the best for resuming your training, Im sure we'll both be kicking ass and taking names in no time!

Jen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahaha, I'm right with you. I focused on qualifying for Boston and since I have been running so much, I have only swam once since September!!! I'm swearing I am heading back to masters next week, it will be painful but what the heck, I miss my swim buddies. My only problem? The next two weeks are huge run weeks to get ready for Boston!!!

Quote Reply