Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting Back to training after Open SeptoRhinoplasty
Quote | Reply
Hi girls - Let me start by say that I am so happy about "The Womens". Thank You! Ok, so, Last Monday I underwent an Open SeptoRhinoplasty to fix a breathing issue and take the damn bump off my nose that has been there since I broke it in college horsing around. Alcohol involved, yes..but that's a loonnng story...so...here's the question - Anyone had experience with when you can get back at training? My surgeon said 6 WEEKS!!! I am still taped up and bruised and don't have any intention of doing anything until it's been 2 weeks but am I being foolish to even contemplate training that soon? The information that I have been finding on the Internet varies from one guy who says he rode his bike 4 days after (how in God's name he felt like doing that is beyond me) to taking a full 2 months off. The general consensus seems to be 3 weeks. Thoughts? I have been racing for 17 years so have a good base and certainly don't want to ruin all the effort of going through the surgery but know that I will lose my mind if I don't do SOMETHING soon. My dr. said no to even brisk walking on the treadmill.
You guys have any experience with this?
Thank You very much for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting Back to training after Open SeptoRhinoplasty [MagicGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YEs I do. My nose was broken at IMLP during the swim. I actually had a closed septo though. I was walking on tmill at 2 weeks running at 4 weeks. Biking was 3 weeks on the trainer easy. One month before I was outside running and biking. Swimming was 6 weeks. Are you still bruised up?? That took a long time to go away. Oh and you are going to swell for a year esp after workouts but only you will notice I promise!
Quote Reply
Re: Getting Back to training after Open SeptoRhinoplasty [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man..you broke your nose during the swim in LP? I CAN'T even imagine how much that would have hurt. Did you finish the race??? Thanks so much for the advice. I am totally, totally still bruised and swollen - in fact, had a hemotoma under my left eye that they had to drain with a needle on Monday when I got my splint off. I have a whole new respect for this surgery...it requires great patience to heal..and as you can see, I'm a little eager to get my old life back so working on the patience part ;)...
I think what you suggested sounds like a good guideline and leans towards the long comeback as opposed to jumping right back in. I'm still taped up because I was so swollen so maybe will try something next week when the taping comes off. I'm surprised at how long the bruising takes to diminish.
When you say walked on the treadmill - are we talking easy stroll or break a sweat walk? Thanks so much for your help with this. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting Back to training after Open SeptoRhinoplasty [MagicGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I dropped out but I waited until the run. I was so over it by then and I was so worried about what it looked like b/c I am vain!! My husband was doing the race too and you should have seen his face when he saw me. It was really swollen. I started walking really slow and then checked out my nose after each workout. I wasn't taped at the time. The bruises were yellow by that point. Sorry to hear about the hematoma.
Quote Reply