Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

General how-to information
Quote | Reply
Hi - I'm new to this forum / entire site. I'm an avid cyclist but know very little about how to care for / repair my bike myself. I want to learn the basics as a starting point (like how to change a flat, info on wheels and tubes - like what kind of inner tube I need, and so much more) I'm looking for recommendations about good sites / relevant videos / forums where I can learn how to do things myself. I welcome all suggestions.

Hopefully I'm following the correct forum rules on posting. :) Is there another forum thread where my message would also be appropriate to post?

Thanks so much!
Quote Reply
Re: General how-to information [HaikuHiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My go-to for virtually anything I don't know how to do is YouTube and cycling is no different.

If you are close to a local bike shop, then they would also be a good resource, as Women's Bike Socials or something to that extent, are a common occurance.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a copy of Zinn for road bike maintenance. It's a good starting point. Seconding what Sally said about youtube. GCN have a lot of content that can help (as do other channels).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely take some fix a flat classes at your local bike shop and practice at home. I recommend the women’s guide to cycling book for just an introduction to everything cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This came across my feeds today and I thought it might be a useful series. Stef, who runs WITSUP is also very open to feedback so if you have anything in particular you want covered, you should write in.
https://www.witsup.com/...res-rubber-revealed/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome! Don't be afraid of getting your hands dirty with some home bike repair/maintenance. It is a lot of fun and very satisfying to DIY.

For more advanced bike maintenance/build topics, I would highly recommend the website started by the late Sheldon Brown. It has everything you need to know about every part of the bicycle, it has a lot of technical specs that is useful if you every get into building bikes or changing components. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you live in the San Francisco bay area, I would be happy to show you all the tricks of bike maintenance for free.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Aug 9, 20 23:36
Quote Reply