Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 305 and IM racing
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used the Garmin 305 in an IM on the run? I'm quite sure it's not waterproof so you could have it on through the swim. Do you turn it on before the race and let it sync up with satellites then put it on during T2? or do you turn it on at T2 and wait for it sync with the satellites? or do you put it on in T1 and let it find the satellite signal while you're on the bike?
I know these are pretty anal-retentive questions, but I just started training with a Garmin this season because I have no sense of run pace. I know there's an aid station approximately every mile on the run in an IM and I could estimate my pace that way, but since I'm training with the Garmin it would be a nice crutch to have during the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 305 and IM racing [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't ... yet. But, like you, I'm giving some thought to what I'm going to do. I think I'll just turn it on in T2. Mine seems to take FOREVER to sync, but I think it's really no more than 2 minutes at most. So I won't have data for the first couple of minutes of the run ... I can live with that. I'm too impatient to wait for the thing to sync before heading out on my runs now. If I had data from start to finish, my head would probably explode!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I had a 301 that I used for IM Florida a few years ago. If I remember correctly, I had it turned on, sync'd, and mounted on my bike (not sure if the 305's have a bike mount device), prior to the swim. I am so impatient when it comes to finding satellites. It took a little while after I got out of the water to remember to push "Start." I'll attribute that to hypoxia and euphoria that follows the swim finish. Just before T2, I took it off the bike mount and attached it to my wrist (so I wouldn't forget to bring it along in all the excitement). After I took off on foot, again, it took a little while for me to remember to flip it to "run mode." Battery life could be a problem with this method. Not sure how long the 305 lasts.

During IM Wisconsin, I did the same thing for the bike segment, but I decided to ditch it with my bike instead of running with it. You are right, there are SO many mile markers and aid stations, it's hard to lose track of where you are at in the race... and if you are on pace...etc.

IM Louisville, I think I ditched it the whole time. The course was so hilly that my average or current speed didn't reflect much. I focused on effort instead. During the run, it might not have even worked due to the urban setting. Sometimes I have a difficult time with tracking in town.

For what that's worth...
Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 305 and IM racing [Tri tri again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used my Garmin 305 for the run at IMFL. I had it set up to take auto splits every mile. It's critical to use to use the Garmin before the race...training runs, walking around the expo, etc. Just get the Garmin used to the environment and the local satellites before race day. Come race day, it should only take 30 to 90 seconds to load up.

I had the Garmin in my T2 bag, inside my shoe. Keep it simple....get off the bike, run to T2 bag, reach in, find left shoe, pull out the gamin and turn it on while running to the tent. I set mine on the ground by the door to the tent while i was just inside changing. There was a volunteer at the tent door who saw me set the Garmin on the ground and he said he would keep an eye on it. By the time I transitioned, the Garmin was ready to go, strap it on and run like hell.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 305 and IM racing [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used my 305 at IMF. I had it mounted right on the bike and turned it on before the swim. When I got on the bike i started it. Then took it off and put it on right before the run. When I got to the run, switched it to run mode (you can just hold down the mode button and then toggle through the 3 options, much easier than going back to settings etc...). On the second 1/2 of the last lap it beeped saying the battery was low. I hit enter and it lasted through the 12 hours I was racing. I hit stop when I crossed the finish line, but left it on while waiting for some friends to finish. At 13:30 it was still on, but said low battery. I turned it off at that time so I don't know how long it would have lasted. I figure it was on for 14 1/2 hours before I turned it off. The garmin was about 6 months old. Now it's almost 2 yearrs old and the battery doesn't seem to last that long (ie, during long rides/bricks it says battery low).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't used it in a Tri yet, because I question if it's really waterproof. There is a multisport setting which implies that you can use it throughout, but maybe it just means for the bike and run? I believe if you have it on multisport setting you just have to push a single button to switch from bike to run, but I'm not sure which button (I accidently had it on that setting once).

Good to know I'm not the only person really impatient with the sattellites. :)

Training for: Barb's Race HIM 8.2.08
Quote Reply