Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gals...you're now beating the guys
Quote | Reply
Who says there is no equality? Women have now surpassed men in the likelihood of suffering a stroke. Women nowadays are heftier than their mothers and grandmothers. Now leading men by 2:1 ratio in the likelihood of getting a stroke in middle age. Scarey stuff.

Strokes triple among middle-aged women in U.S.: study Last Updated: Thursday, February 21, 2008 | 9:41 AM ET The Associated Press

Strokes have tripled in recent years among middle-aged women in the U.S., an alarming trend doctors blame on the obesity epidemic.

In a "pre-stroke population" of middle-age women, a tripling of cases is "an alarming increase," said Dr. Ralph Sacco, neurology chief at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

The new research means "we need to redefine our textbooks about stroke in women," because they may now be more at risk in middle-age than men, said Dr. Philip Gorelick, neurology chief at the University of Illinois in Chicago and chairman of the stroke conference. [/url]
She saw that the stroke rate had spiked in middle-aged women but stayed about the same — around one per cent — in middle-aged men. So they looked deeper at the responses to see if they could learn why. Belly fat to blame: researcher

The portion of women with abdominal obesity rose from 47 per cent in the earlier survey to 59 per cent in the recent one. The change in men was smaller, and previous studies have shown that "abdominal obesity is a stronger risk factor for women than men," she said.
Women's waistlines are nearly five centimetres or two inches bigger than they were a decade earlier, and that bulge corresponds with the increase in strokes, researchers said.
In addition, women's average body mass index, a commonly used measure of obesity, rose from 27 in the earlier survey to 29. They also had higher blood sugar levels.
No other traditional risk factors like smoking, heart disease or diabetes changed enough between the two surveys to account for the increase in strokes.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Feb 22, 08 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: Gals...you're now beating the guys [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Interesting... the article links strokes in middle aged women to obesity. With the trend for men's waistlines going up as much as women's, I'd be curious to find out how much influence Birth Control Pills have on women, and how they may have contributed to the trend. Strokes are a pretty significant side effect of the pill.

My mom just suffered a stroke in October. She's recovering well, but strokes are pretty scary stuff...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Gals...you're now beating the guys [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would guess that as a population group, the gals on ST are probably much less likely to have a stroke from belly fat, just because being so active usually makes you lean. even though some female triathletes are strongly built, it ususally isn't a spare tired round the middle.

this is a big problem though, and its going to start happening to friends and relatives which is worrisome.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Gals...you're now beating the guys [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it ususally isn't a spare tire round the middle

You haven't had kids yet, have you. I weigh less now than I did pre-kids, but my body shape has changed completely and I'd rather not talk about my "middle". :)

Stroke and heart disease has been the number 1 killer of women for a while, hasn't it? I guess the news now is that we are ahead of men in that statistic. Ugh. My brother had a massive stroke 4 years ago at age 41. He almost died and now he's still got some paralysis from it. He is an active, non-smoker all his life. The stroke was a real shock to us all. You just never know what's around the corner for us all. Take care of yourself and live life.
Quote Reply
Re: Gals...you're now beating the guys [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I had kids, I had a real problem getting my stomach flat. After quitting smoking 4 years ago, and starting an early menopause, and gaining 30 pounds, I just can't get rid of this fat stomach. I have spare tires, not a spare tire. I have been biking, running and swimming. I am fit, but have fat. I know that it is dangerous, and I have really tried to lose weight, but it is just not happening yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Gals...you're now beating the guys [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it ususally isn't a spare tire round the middle

You haven't had kids yet, have you. I weigh less now than I did pre-kids, but my body shape has changed completely and I'd rather not talk about my "middle". :)

Stroke and heart disease has been the number 1 killer of women for a while, hasn't it? I guess the news now is that we are ahead of men in that statistic. Ugh. My brother had a massive stroke 4 years ago at age 41. He almost died and now he's still got some paralysis from it. He is an active, non-smoker all his life. The stroke was a real shock to us all. You just never know what's around the corner for us all. Take care of yourself and live life.
Stroke at 41?! You might want to mention that to your own primary care physician. I'm pretty early in my (medical) training, but the first thing that we did upon admiting a stroke patient in their 40s was work them up for a number of genetic blood disorders associated with early strokes. Its scary to look into but definitely worth it, especially if there are preventative measures you can take.
Quote Reply
Re: Gals...you're now beating the guys [medTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that. It was the first thing I mentioned when I went in for my yearly physical after my brother had the stroke. Scary stuff indeed.
Quote Reply