Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Freak accident - ugh
Quote | Reply
I'm a very risk-averse person - I don't even ride a bike outdoors. And yet somehow I managed to get thrown from a horse on a lazy trail ride (on my honeymoon), and I ended up with a concussion, broken clavicle (pretty much came through the skin), and a fractured scapula. Luckily no other injuries. I realize I could have been paralyzed or killed, so I'm grateful it wasn't worse, but what a bummer. I was in the best shape of my life when this happened.

Anyway, just wanted to vent I guess. I had a shoulder surgery in 2013 and it took YEARS to get back. Trying not to get depressed.
Quote Reply
Re: Freak accident - ugh [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/img]

Hope you get better soon!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks. It is also a horrible way to spend your honeymoon.

When you are really active, getting injured in psychological torture. Last year, a week after my last race, I went mountain biking. I am normally timid and clumsy on the mtb, so that day I decided to just relax and go for it. Of course, less than two miles into it, I went over my handlebars. I was in too much pain to ride out, and it hurt to breathe. It turned out to be a sprained spine and shoulder. I was out of commission for about two months, and it drove me crazy. So I know how you feel.

For more sympathy, there is the "cry like a biatch" (or something like that) thread on the main forum. I cried there, but it was also good for putting things in perspective because you have people dealing with horrible diseases and making comebacks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what type of shoulder surgery?

desertdude had surgery for a clavicle - once you talk to your surgeon I'd post on the main forum to hear some experiences.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no, sorry to hear that Kells. Best wishes for a fast and full recovery. And congrats on your marriage!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: Freak accident - ugh [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
That sucks. It is also a horrible way to spend your honeymoon.

When you are really active, getting injured in psychological torture. Last year, a week after my last race, I went mountain biking. I am normally timid and clumsy on the mtb, so that day I decided to just relax and go for it. Of course, less than two miles into it, I went over my handlebars. I was in too much pain to ride out, and it hurt to breathe. It turned out to be a sprained spine and shoulder. I was out of commission for about two months, and it drove me crazy. So I know how you feel.

For more sympathy, there is the "cry like a biatch" (or something like that) thread on the main forum. I cried there, but it was also good for putting things in perspective because you have people dealing with horrible diseases and making comebacks.

I'm intimidated by the main forum, but maybe I will post there after surgery. My surgery is tomorrow (finally). The surgeon said it is a severe break which had actually worsened in the 6 days since the accident based on x-rays, so he got me on the schedule urgently. I know I'm going to lose all my fitness, but I have to remember it could be worse.

Also, my mom passed away two days ago. Been a tough week. I have to fly cross-country 36 hours after surgery for the funeral - planning to walk as much as possible on the plane so I don't get a DVT.

Thanks for the support, everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about your mom passing on top of everything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When it rains, it pours. Hang in there and take it one moment at a time. Hope all goes as well as it can.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so sorry to hear that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so sorry for your loss.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a sunnier note, congratulations on your marriage; may you have many happy years together!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply