Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Four days until tri, feeling sick
Quote | Reply
My first triathlon is this coming Sunday. This morning, I woke up with a pounding headache and a sore throat. Ack! Can anyone recommend any courses of action that could give my immune system a little surge? I took the day off from work to sleep and relax, though I still plan on doing my swim workout tonight (is that a bad idea?), only 600m.

I don't feel horrible, but I don't feel great, either.

Thanks! :)

Triathlizer in the making
Mom of 2 crazy boys
Quote Reply
Re: Four days until tri, feeling sick [jenrford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim -- bad idea! REST! You need lots of vitamin C, lots of fluids, and lots of rest. You'll be fine. Don't worry about not working out. I just did IMCDA and I was sick as a dog starting the Saturday a week before the race. It got worse until I started totally resting, and then it got better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleep! Missing the swim workout tonight won't hurt you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you'll be fine in a couple days :-)

do the swim. 600m takes what? seven, eight minutes? that wont' take too much out of you.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uuuggg. I swam, but not the full 600m-more like 350 or 400, at a leisurely pace. Mainly because my tri outfit came yesterday and I needed to test it out. (not all that impressed, unfortunately) Anyway. I am feeling even crappier. I feel like I am getting a cough/chest type thing.

This is so not fair! I've been training for months, and here I am getting sick four days before the event. :(

I'm getting lots of fluids and vitamin C and rest, I guess there isn't much else I can do.

To make this thread more useful, and not just a whine-fest, tell me about your swim to bike transitions. What do you have laid out, and how? :)

Triathlizer in the making
Mom of 2 crazy boys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The less stuff the better for swim to bike (or any transition).

I have my helmet upside down straps out on my aero bars, my sunglasses are attached to the bike so I can put them on after I've started rolling, and my shoes are on the ground wide open ready for my feel to slip in and a quick tighten (I haven't mastered...or even tried to have my shoes already clipped in...I have enough problems taking my feet out of them when riding). So helmet on, shoes on, and I'm on my bike.

What race are you doing
Quote Reply
Re: Four days until tri, feeling sick [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you feeling any better? Keep resting, and sleeping as much as you can. As for the tri, if it's short, I go with headband (to keep water/sweat out of my eyes), then sunglasses, then helmet, and shoes fully open with small towel to quickly clean feet of rocks etc. If longer, I need extra nutrition in pockets and bike gloves too. If cold, I'll throw on socks and a long-sleeved top or arm-warmers. I get cold anywhere so even though it's July, I thought I'd mention it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you feeling any better today?
Quote Reply