Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Formal/Cocktail dress for wedding!?
Quote | Reply
I have a wedding to attend in August in Virginia Beach, VA- it is formal/cocktail attire. Any ideas? Pictures? Places to shop!? I am used to pretty casual weddings, so any advice would be great! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Formal/Cocktail dress for wedding!? [asrc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ann Taylor is usually a good place to start. Department stores (Macy's, Lord & Taylor) usually have a lot to choose from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a Cache in your area? I found perfect cocktail/formal attire there. Pricey - but good quality & I can definitely where it elsewhere.

Rebecca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could even go to a thrift store if your not looking to spend a bunch. Sometimes its worth looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at Gap or Banana Republic. There is a 30% off coupon code floating on the top for sale items only.

Quote | Reply
thanks! I will start with those, I haven't heard of cache before- will have to check it out too! Thanks Ladies!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you and are you into fashion or is dressing up a chore? Are you willing to shell out $100-200 for a dress or does the thought of that make you cringe?

If you live in a bigger area you may be able to find someting great at a consignment store. If you need a lot of help from a sales person, go to Nordstrom. I love Banana Republic and Ann Taylor. I also like to mix high/low: dress from Banana, funky necklace or bracelet from Target. J Crew always has pretty dresses as well.

One of my favortie places to shop is my BFF's closet. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Formal/Cocktail dress for wedding!? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 33 & if I find something I love, I would spend $100+
I am into fashion

I am excited to go shop & look! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
asrc wrote:
I am 33 & if I find something I love, I would spend $100+
I am into fashion

I am excited to go shop & look! Thanks!

I should have added that if you are in the Los Angeles area, wear a size 0-2 dress and 8 shoe, I have more than plenty to hook you up for an evening.

Quote | Reply
Check out Ann Taylor weddings and special occasions, everything is 40% off right now and they have cute short cocktail dresses and gorgeous elegant gowns.

Anthropologie usually has really cute, interesting funky stuff if that's more your style.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like white house black market for occasion dresses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the patience Marshalls or TJ Maxx is a great place for dresses.
Quote Reply
Re: Formal/Cocktail dress for wedding!? [kmeris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on the TJ Maxx. I just picked up a dress for my bridesmaid for $25. It's hit and miss, but when it's good it's great!
Quote Reply
Re: Formal/Cocktail dress for wedding!? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I LOVE TJ Maxx...I never find really dressy things there, but should check it out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you go the TJ max in the most upscale part of town, you'll have better luck. They have slightly different inventory based on where they are.
Quote Reply
Re: Formal/Cocktail dress for wedding!? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good to know...we only have 1 here...I will have to head to the city!
Quote Reply
Re: Formal/Cocktail dress for wedding!? [chicklamino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicklamino wrote:
I really like white house black market for occasion dresses.

I love their clothes, too. They have the cutest dresses for weddings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gotten some really nice formal dresses from The Limited. They have really nice wedding and formal attire dresses on the website. Also White House Black Market as others have said.
Quote Reply
Re: Formal/Cocktail dress for wedding!? [Texaslynn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ooh, great ideas, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually buy dresses at BCBG, they have a big selection and can fit over my giant swimming back.

http://www.bcbg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Formal/Cocktail dress for wedding!? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second BCBG. I love the dresses. You may have a BCBG outlet near you, if you don't mind last year's dresses. I picked up a nice $300 cocktail dress for $80, and a dress I bought a year ago for $250 was selling for $60.

You can also buy online if you dare and know your size.
Quote Reply
Re: Formal/Cocktail dress for wedding!? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+3 on BCBG. There are many classy dresses to choose.
Quote Reply
Re: Formal/Cocktail dress for wedding!? [perfcctionist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I LOVE White House Black Market for dresses! They are really nice and good quality. I got my 30th Birthday "Look at Me" Dress there. They are always really nice and helpful in there too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine uses renttherunway.com. It's pretty cool. They send you the dress you pick (and a back up in another size). The pay for all of the shipping costs (including return) and the cleaning. You can show up in a designer gown or cocktail dress worth $$$ for a fraction of the cost.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want something designer-y that you could never afford to buy, there's a web site called Rent the Runway (www.renttherunway.com) that lets you rent dresses. I haven't had a chance to use it yet myself, but I've heard really good things about it, and the site has lots of user reviews of clothes and how things fit, etc. Not quite as much fun as shopping, but it does let you get a $500+ dress to wear for under $100. Then you have money left over to spend on shoes!
Quote Reply

Prev Next