Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For the Older Women ~~ What Do You Do When?
Quote | Reply
What do you do when the doc says your degenerative arthritis is "extensive"? When you have no shoulders left? When you've gotten your hip resurfaced and then they say your lower lumbar is shot? Do you just work on pain management and keep on doing whatever distance tri you can do, till you can't? I'm thinking that's the thing, just work on finding an NSAID that actually works so I can keep on SBR as long as possible. I'm not going to have spine surgery, and I'm ambivalent about a new shoulder. Good news is that the hip is working great.

Anyone have any great ideas?

Dreams die hard.

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: For the Older Women ~~ What Do You Do When? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not just for older women ... I had a disease that (among other things) breaks down collagen, which in turn broke down a lot of cartilage in my joints. I was lucky; some people are crippled for life.

Admittedly, I take NSAIDs a lot, mostly ibuprofen, sometimes diclofenac if things are unusually worse. I've found that targeted physical therapy and then strength training to strengthen the muscles and other existing connective tissues around the most troublesome joints very helpful, and things go off the rails pretty fast if I let that go. I've found chiropractic very helpful in pain management. I've found yoga helpful for all sorts of things. Some people really benefit from acupuncture; I haven't tried that yet.

If you can afford therapeutic massage (by someone who knows what they're doing), that's very helpful too--increases circulation around the joints, or whatever it does. It helps.

This isn't available where I live, but I have heard both from people I know who have had it done as well as read a fair bit online about autologous chondrocyte implantation.

It's been my experience that I actually do better with long-course / low intensity than with short-course / high intensity. It may be the case for you and others that yeah, you do what you can do, like short course / low intensity until you can't. One of my friends still does long course, but trains to walk the run portion. I also aquajog a fair portion of the running. I've found that if I keep some significant part on the road (a third, a half) that's enough for the structural adaptations without the extra wear.

All the best to you -- I really hope you can find a combination of things that keeps you in the mix.

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have osteoarthritis of the knee, it is also extensive. I have a variety of things that help including PT exercises that strengthen the surrounding muscles, synvisc injections, and an unloader brace for running or if I will be doing a lot of walking or being on my feet. I was doing long distance tri's mostly and have switched to shorter distance. I still enjoy long distance bike riding so I do a lot of riding with friends who are training for the longer distances but I can't do the same with running. I miss not being able to do the longer distance races but am happy that I can still do tri's. It took awhile until I could wrap my head around not being able to do certain things but I am slowly working on having a better attitude and being grateful for what I can do. I do use NSAID's probably more then I should but there are days when the pain is just too much. I do have an appointment for acupuncture coming up to see if that can help with pain management. Massage has also helped but you need to find the right person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s pretty hard to fight back these diseases and carry out the responsibilities too. And at the same time stress need to be managed.
Quote Reply
Re: For the Older Women ~~ What Do You Do When? [patriciaharris7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi There,
i'm not quite there yet but i know my knees will fall apart first.. however as a physio i can suggest a few things... For your hip - always make sure you're wearing great footwear if you run and ensure there's a lot of impact absorption as well as through running technique so you're not landing heavy. Secondly, do a lot of 'run' training on an elliptical (cross trainer) machine as there is a similar motion without the impact and still get good cardiovascular results. Thirdly, a shoulder replacement won't let you swim well - stick to the joint you have as long as possible but get your swimming technique really looked at so that you're achieving good body roll to generate power...using more of your back muscles (lats and rhomboids, and lower traps) rather than relying on rotation generated by your rotator cuff muscles in your shoulder. and also check your hand entry position and rotation to see if you need to unload the rotation component to minimise stress on the shoulder. And finally, to minimise lumbar issues make sure you've got great dynamic core stability and perhaps modify your bike position to unload the lower spine a little too.
Hope that helps.

noodlecat77 :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for your post. I'm struggling with the very same issue right now. The best knee doc in my area recently told me to stop running. "There's nothing I can do for you. You've worn your knees out. Be thankful it doesn't hurt more than it does now." At present, swimming hurts, because kicking really aggravates my knee. Running is a near impossibility, but I'm doing what I can when I can, and just grimacing a lot.

I've struggled with major depression over the possibility that I may not be able to compete in tris anymore. They've been a huge part of my life for over 10 years, and I love all of it -- the training, the racing, the lifestyle, the way I feel, the friends I've made. I have no answers for you, as I'm struggling to find them for myself. Just wanted to say thanks for the post. I hope the responses are helping you as much as they're helping me.
Quote Reply
Re: For the Older Women ~~ What Do You Do When? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen, if kicking hurts for the swim, don't kick. Much. If you can't run, do an aquabike. I had a stress fracture and wanted to race (the race didn't have an aquabike division so I just didn't take any running shoes) and I was happy I did what I did. If you can't swim or run, focus on the bike. I did a 50 mile ride today with two 70 year old women. They were pretty damn good.

I think it is important to manage expectations; having been injured several times, and lining up without any hope of doing well, I've come to appreciate that we have no idea what our competitors are dealing with, and happy that I can continue to do what I do. Nobody knows your story. For those who rely on NSAIDS, I wouldn't do that. I don't have the science to say why, I just wouldn't do that.

If biking is your only option, that is a pretty cool option. Just think of all of the bike tours you can do. Is it a tri? No, so you'll have to grieve that, and you'll really need to grieve that if it is no longer an option for you, but try to stay positive. If you can bike, go there.
Quote Reply
Re: For the Older Women ~~ What Do You Do When? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it still possible to compete, but at shorter distances?

I may be mistaken, but I thought you had a history of ultra-distance racing. If so, then your answer is the same is mine, but for different reasons. My cost of living has risen with my move, causing me to work more and train less. What formerly was IM-length training is now Olympic or shorter.

If you end up as the breaststroking, run-walking, triathlon participant, instead of FOP competitor, then at least you are still in the game. Perhaps mentor others to help them achieve their triathlon goals. Take the focus off yourself and transfer that energy to someone else and it may help your depression.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoulder repaired for me, best thing I did. Strength and core training to keep muscles strong supporting the joints, body fat low and yoga for dynamic stretch. Works for me. Adjust the distance that you race to what you can tolerate. Glad the hip is doing well, my husband had his resurfaced 7 months ago, just returned to running. :)

Quote Reply
Post deleted by dreaming~big [ In reply to ]