Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For the Docs, swollen lymph node
Quote | Reply
I have either a femoral or inguinal swollen lymph node. I am now sure which one it is. I have been to the 3 different doctors about this. 2 gyno and 1 gp. The docs do not do any investigation more then pokeing at them (and even one gyno didn't bother to do that). They blame it on my bike riding. This has been going on for about 1 year. They swell then go away, intermittently. I have't really nailed down when it happens. I suppose I should keep a log. My tri bike hits me at just the right place to press on them, and they hurt like heck.

Should I believe the docs and do nothing?

What is your opinion, should I continue to pursue this with other doctors?
--What type of doc
--What questions should I ask
Quote Reply
Re: For the Docs, swollen lymph node [lkkowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most swollen lymph nodes result from inflammation or infection in the area---so a swollen groin LN may be caused by a cut/scrape/boil/pimple on the leg/groin/buttock/or "feminine area". An ingrown toenail that becomes a little red or a cut on the leg from shaving can give you a swollen groin LN.
That being said, if you have other enlarged LN's--say on the other side of your groin, neck, armpits--I would definitely get that checked out. Usually the gp will refer a patient like that to a surgeon, who will biopsy one of the LN's. Less common maladies such as lymphoma, cat scratch fever, tularemia also cause swollen LN's, but usually present with more than one enlarged LN. Work-up for those diseases can include blood work, a CT scan, and a visit to a hematologist/oncologist or infectious disease MD.
If it bothers you, then definitely pursue it. Like I said, most gp's send swollen LN patients to surgeons who recommend a biopsy or excision of that LN. Also, a surgeon will be able to figure out if it IS a swollen LN and NOT a groin hernia.
Good Luck!
Quote Reply