Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Food/Cooking/Health Topic - Ladies Night
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I'm going to start doing a "ladies night" with my LBS every month. I'm a chef and will be doing cooking demonstrations, lectures (I hate how that sounds!) on food/nutrition and how it helps or sabotages our training and fitness. I was wondering what sort of topics, things you would like to learn to cook, etc. you all would be interested in. I'm pretty much open for anything! Thanks bunches!
S

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Re: Food/Cooking/Health Topic - Ladies Night [hollowleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds good!
I would like to increase my learning of how to fix quick healthy meals with few ingredients and have a lot of overlap throughout the week. So for example, the chicken dish I made on Monday gets turned into "X"on Tuesday or Wednesday... etc...
and I don't know if this is most people, but cooking for 2. Cooking for 2 seems much tougher than for 4... which is how I learned to cook growing up. Well, and shopping and planning out a week of groceries/meals for 2. I seem to fail and then we end up eating out, and I want to save money by not eating out! Plus it's healthier to cook too!

Also, maybe how I can eat fish and make my husband happy with a different meat (he won't eat fish, perplexing) without much extra effort.

I don't usually need complex or fancy meals but I seem to be in a rut lately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I like the easy cooking for one or two people idea. I cook for a family, so i am always cooking, but when was single, eating right was an issue because I hated to cook for just me.

Other topics? Good pre workout meals, good recovery meals. What to snack on that will be filling but not too heavy or spoil dinner. How to pace eating during the day to not be ravenous and eat a box of Oreos at night. For those of us who already cook, it would be great to have recipes involving seasonal items, to add some off beat or ethnic recipes so as not to eat the same thing all the time---the pasta every Friday problem. There are more ways to carb load. Maybe some ideas for short cuts in cooking? Like how to eat a good variety of foods at every meal without dirtying a lot of pans cooking everything separately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meal planning and shopping for the week saves so much time and stops you from eating out. I plan the meals and make the shopping list and hand it over to my husband who does the shopping. I try to have variety and to include one slow cooker recipe to save time.

My problem is coming up with varied menus/recipes for the week. Having some crossover, like cooking chicken one day and then using it other days would be brilliant.

In fact, I would pay good money for 3 months worth of recipes and meal planning for a time pressed athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Food/Cooking/Health Topic - Ladies Night [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! Thanks for your feedback!!! One of the couples I cook for has the same issue about seafood. One idea: make a bruschetta mixture (garlic, tomato, basil, olive oil) toss it with some pasta of your choice. Then for the protein - a nice piece of mahimahi cooks about the same time as a piece of chicken breast. You can grill both and place it on top of the pasta. Thanks
S

Susan Harrell

Quote Reply
Re: Food/Cooking/Health Topic - Ladies Night [lreichman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, the pasta is a bit of overkill now. I try to combine things like a barley and quinoa mixture in place of pasta or the boring brown rice. I can totally understand the dirty dishes as a single person! Thank you so much for your feedback. I can always use help :)
S

Susan Harrell

Quote Reply
Re: Food/Cooking/Health Topic - Ladies Night [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! Your reply is making me feel sooo much better about starting meal planning, recipes and grocery lists as part of my business. I just need to figure out this whole computer/software crap! I cook, run, swim, bike --- I don't do computers!

I used to do the same thing with my ex as you do with our husband.

Thank you and I'll let you know when I get that part of the business up and running!
S

Susan Harrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe not a class dedicated to each, but perhaps an overview of different diets: gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, paleo, etc. The benefits of each and how each diet can fit into a training regimen.
Quote Reply