Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flip turn nuggets
Quote | Reply
Am asking here as the boys just say 'use the search function' or make other generally unhelpful comments. (I tried search, nothing much useful TBH)

Anyway, womens fishes.

What is the ONE most useful tip for a good flip turn?

So far I have found 'press down on your hands to help your legs flip over' very helpful. (even more so when using paddles- more pressure I guess)
Quote Reply
Re: Flip turn nuggets [triFP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't breathe on the stroke going into or coming out of the turn; it will mess up your rhythm and REALLY slow you down.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tuck your chin - chin to chest like a somersault.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Engage the core/abs to help get the run going. think: do a crunch.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practice doing a somersaults in the water first, not all crunched up but with legs relatively straight, to get the feel for the flipping over....then add a few swim strokes first...away from the wall. Dont worry about twisting over, just keep practicing swimming a few strokes and flipping over, til its easy...then add the wall...

You can learn it in a day...and soon will be doing it automatically. And though they are gross I have been thinking of chicken nuggets since you posted this thread!

good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Flip turn nuggets [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Practice doing a somersaults in the water first, not all crunched up but with legs relatively straight, to get the feel for the flipping over....then add a few swim strokes first...away from the wall. Dont worry about twisting over, just keep practicing swimming a few strokes and flipping over, til its easy...then add the wall...

X2 on this advice.

This is how little kids learn, and how adults should learn too. If you try to do it all at once, the wall and the flipping and the pushing off and getting your laps in - it is a lot harder. Take time every time you swim, and work on flipping in the middle of the pool, then taking a few strokes the flipping, etc. When your ready to move closer to the wall, go slow and then work on the pushoff. It's just like drilling for strokes - to get better and more mechanically sound , you go slow and drill, and practice. Good luck!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend a few days practicing in a small pool. You will learn 'em quick !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're swimming quickly, you only need to tuck your chin and your momentum will pull you around. However, if you're swimming slowly you need to think more about doing a somersault. The transition between doing them slowly and doing them efficiently was hard for me because of this difference.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the beginning, when you turn, do it so that your buttocks are up in the air and out of the water, the weight of your buttocks will help "sink" your trunk and your head into the bottom of the pool and then you just need to exert not much force to flip your body over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw this query, and it happened to coincide with a flip turn lesson that I did with a couple of our Live class participants. Yesterday, we shot a quick (minimal editing - rough cut) of a progression that I have been using for years. I put together a blog post with the video, and some text for further explanation - try it out if you like and let us know how it goes:

http://www.findingfreestyle.com/.../flipturnprogression

Let us know if it works for you as we are always looking to improve and refine our programs. This may be included in our Advanced Training Course (yet to be released).

Regards,
r.b.

Bringing you Tweets @ http://twitter.com/findfreestyle and Not just a bunch of drills - A Process.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip turn nuggets [robertwb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thnx, will try what the video suggests, very easy to follow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A simple thing you may have omitted: when leaving the arms pointed at the far wall, turn the hands so the palms are facing the bottom of the pool. When that is done, the hands can push toward the bottom of the pool as an assist to keeping the arms in position and serving to help bring the body around. In addition, when focusing on that, the swimmer is less likely to scull with the arms (maybe).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Flip turn nuggets [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you 100%, we will add that under the "finer points" section - thanks Ken.

r.b.

Bringing you Tweets @ http://twitter.com/findfreestyle and Not just a bunch of drills - A Process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 'flip your hands over and press down on them' has been so useful. Done with paddles it exagerates the feeling, and makes it so much easier.

I'm now managing fine all the time with paddles, and haev had someone look at my stroke too. Was kicking very inefficiently which has made the whole thing less anaerobic and helped a lot.

not sure I am much faster, but hell, it LOOKS cool!
Quote Reply