Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that?
Quote | Reply
This seems to have become very prevalent lately, and I don't mean just for the commute. In our office, we have quite a few professional women who wear them all day. Am I just an old guy who needs to lighten up, or do they strike anyone else as unprofessional?
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [Large] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on it. I work on a college campus so I see a bunch of uber casual wear. I think what grates on my nerves is that most people who wear flip flops have to walk slow and they drag their feet. It's inappropriate footwear for being on your feet all day and getting around campus.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cant wear em in my office... but we're lax on everything else. I actually wear my Birk clogs on a daily basis- and take em off when im sitting at my desk
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the slow walking foot dragging flip flop wearers... I dont walk any differently in mine- I wore them everywhere I could in college- being a rower, they were easy in/easy out, and let my feet air out when they werent locked down in sopping wet velcro boat shoes- Wore them everywhere, at all times till I got shit about there being snow on the ground and having bare feet- which is when I picked up my first and only pair of clogs (5 yrs and still going strong)
If people are walking slow and dragging their feet, odds are they'll be slow walking foot draggers regardless what they have on their feet.

but I do agree- flip flops dont belong at work... unless you work in like the video game industry- or at a whole foods- or some other hippie joint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and here i thought i was being risque by wearing a pair of black suede sneakers (well, skateboard shoes) to the office..

flip flops around the yard, at the beach, sometimes to/from the pool in warm weather, or a quick trip out (convenience store stop). not at work.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Guilty. Actually, not totally guilty, but close. I have a pair of flip flops and a pair of old running shoes under my desk at all times. I agree with you, I don't understand when it became acceptable to wear them all day at the workplace - and this comes from a 23 year old questioning the shoe selection of 3 of my managers. I'll wear the flip flops if I'm just running some stuff around the office or running out to my car for something, but never into meetings or places where I'd run into the dozens of retired military generals. None of my heels have very good support, and I'm also not willing to roll my ankle carrying a heavy box in 2-3 inch heels, so I keep alternate choices around (for the record - my flip flops are chaco's... so at least they are expensive leather ones with some support)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Casual Fridays....flip flops acceptable. Wearing mine right now w/a pair of capris and a nice t. I keep a couple pair in my car to wear anywhere/everywhere once I'm out of the ofc. I wear uggs on Fridays in the winter...I'm apparently a totally unprofessional schlep.

A few of the chicks around here wear them around the office as they don't want to "just walk around the office" in their skyscraper heels. They swap out to go to meetings or out of the office.

There are also dress heels - they have a heel but still have the "thong" look to them, those are acceptable, yes? Almost every woman in this office wears sandals as much as possible. We're also fairly business casual most of the time, so maybe it's a different world.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

There are also dress heels - they have a heel but still have the "thong" look to them, those are acceptable, yes?

Yes. Heels (even if they are thong sandal heels) are typical summer business casual, at least where I work.
Don't think I could get away with wearing the rubber flip flops I wear to the pool, or even the "nice" ones with sparkleys on them. Just not appropriate for the workplace, IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just can't figure out why any cares what might be on my feet. It's the work that matters.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I just can't figure out why any cares what might be on my feet. It's the work that matters.

Depending on what kind of environment you work in, customers or the general public might care. Or your boss. Or OSHA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't say people might care. I said I can't figure out WHY people would care. Lighten up.

Quote | Reply
if that was really the case, i wouldn't have to take out my lip and eyebrow rings to go to the office, either...and i could have my mohawk back..

as it stands, accountants are supposed to be boring, so tattoos are covered and facial piercings are a no-go.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I didn't say people might care. I said I can't figure out WHY people would care. Lighten up.

I love this forum.
Ok them... WHY people might care could be because they percieve it as unsanitary, gross, unsafe, or unprofessional. Not saying I am one of them or that you have to agree with their opinions, just looking at it from other points of view. I think it's quite obvious WHY people would care - even if you disagree with their reasoning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We all love this forum. *snort*

Last edited by: D!: Sep 4, 09 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flip flogs never. Slides or sandals with a heel, OK.

I work in a large corporate law firm and it still amazes me at what a number of the staff wear. I wear jeans on occasion, but people wear t-shirts with slogan and photos, sweatpants, etc.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flip flops are fine, but only with compression socks.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but you'd need compression toe-socks

Did I miss a thread somewhere? Are they making those now?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work for an insurance company. People wear flip flops some days. Nice ones...but still. I don't think it is acceptable to wear even nice flip flops in a corporate environment, even on casual Fridays. I can't stand when people wear sneakers on casual fridays either. It's a place of business, not a back yard or a beach!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear flip flops to the office a LOT. I'd say in the summer, I wear them probably 90% of the time. Keens are my second choice. And in the winter, I am almost always wearing slippers after I get to work.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Injinji Compression Socks
Last edited by: swimlinz: Sep 9, 09 11:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to wear my LL Bean flip flops on Fridays, but then I read an article on a study that people who wear flip flops at work aren't seen as serious by their bosses and get passed by for promotions. That was the end of flip flops at work for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The U.S. has simply become a nation of slobs, casual is one thing, trailer trash is another. One of, in not the biggest thing I noticed while in Italy was how nice and stylish everyone was dressed, I stood out like a sore thumb in jeans, running shoes and a hoodie.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The U.S. has simply become a nation of slobs, casual is one thing, trailer trash is another. One of, in not the biggest thing I noticed while in Italy was how nice and stylish everyone was dressed, I stood out like a sore thumb in jeans, running shoes and a hoodie.

Totally agree. There is a huge difference b/t casual and slob and too many people are unable to find and correctly navigate that line.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel uncomfortable wearing any shoes that are open toed at work and I am in a super casual environment. What you do notice around there is middle to upper management dress work casual, nice jeans and dress shirts or khakis. I usually wear nice jeans or casual pants and a sweater/nice hoodie. I have a lot of shoes but never wear flip flops at work. It is things like dressing a little TOO casually that leave an overall impression and people will have a harder time taking you seriously if you don't take work seriously enough to not dress like a slob. I wish it was the case that judgement is always passed on work alone but the fact is that just isn't the case.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At my last job, on the 1st day of work, I was told to come in the next day wearing shorts and a t-shirt the next day so I did. I worked in high tech semiconductors which is pretty casual and I wore flip flops for awhile. I stopped because of PF issues and needed the support. I would always freak people out when I actually dressed up. Also, I was not the only person in my department nor the location that I was at that wore flip flops a lot of the time. I also recognize that at my next job, that likely won't be the case but I don't mind dressing up now because I look damn good dressed up.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [thetodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Agree X2.

What really bugs me are pajama bottoms and slippers or flipflops to the store or even more annoying, at the airport. Remember when flying was an occasion to dress up for?
Quote Reply

Prev Next