Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fitness Magazines
Quote | Reply
I used to read fitness mags to learn about new exercises but I haven't picked one up in years and according to a new study, you might not want to:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25291978/
Quote:

"Garvin and colleagues recruited 92 college women to spend half an hour on an exercise bike while reading either Oxygen magazine (a fitness magazine featuring very fit, muscular women), Oprah magazine (more general interest) or nothing at all. The women were randomly assigned to a reading category but were allowed to exercise at the intensity of their choice.

Results, which were presented recently at the annual meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine in Indianapolis, showed that the group of women who read Oxygen while exercising were more anxious, depressed and in an all-around poorer mood after exercise than before, as determined by standardized psychological scales. By comparison, the groups of women who read Oprah or no magazine experienced expected improvements in their mood from exercise.

The results suggest that negative effects of reading ultra-fit magazines may cancel out the mood-boosting effects of exercise, says Garvin. Exactly why is unclear, though she speculates that women may become depressed because they feel they’ll never look as good as the magazine models or that the women already look fit but have low self-esteem and seeing the images doesn’t help."
Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Magazines [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I just bashed fitness magazines, I do want to say that Runner's World has some great videos on their web site for pre-hab stretches and other exercises for injury prevention: http://www.runnersworld.com/...amp;bctid=1260661327
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that if you can read a magazine or anything else while exercising, you're not really exercising.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"they’ll never look as good as the magazine models"

That statement says it all - the "fitness" magazines use professional models rather than actual fitness people. Add the makeup and photography lighting to the models and it's less about fitness. Even Triathlon mag has become guilty of this in recent years. Ironically, a lot of these models aren't that fit.

A friend of mine always use to say to forget about Playboy and other men's magazines. If you really want to see photos of good looking scantily clad women, then just buy women's magazines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who reads magazines while exercising? I'm working way too hard to bother.
I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with getting them still - the article was about reading them while exercising, not about reading them otherwise, right?

Quote | Reply
I used to read the fitness magazines like Shape and Fitness (one of them came free with a gym membership) when I was basically just going to the gym for exercise 3x a week. Once I started tri training, they were pretty much useless. The daily amount of calories they suggest you eat is absurd and I got really annoyed by the models doing the exercises. I still read Self Magazine, (though it's pretty much just something fluffy to read in the bathtub, not really a source of info) and Runner's World which occasionally has good stretches or workout ideas.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of hard to hold weights in your hands plus a magazine.

I love Oxygen magazine.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read Marathon and Beyond while taking an ice bath after a long run or ride. That is as close as I get to reading a magazine while working out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Fitness Magazines [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting little fact, the editor-in-chief of Self Magazine competes (and is quite speedy) in triathlons...

http://shine.yahoo.com/...hlon-triumph-188513/ True to my SELF: Triathlon triumph!
The week that just ended was a whirlwind of presentations and travel, all of it fun and all of it exhilarating. I truly love being busy, and the finish line (literally) for me was a triathlon on Sunday morning, before the whirlwind began again, this time in L.A.
First, the tri. It is called the Gold Coast Triathlon and it took place in Port Washington, New York, and was the first real race of my season. (I don't count Miami since I hadn't trained for that one.) This race was the first one on my new bike (a Felt carbon fiber black-and-yellow sleek machine I nicknamed the Hornet) and after a couple of months of being coached in better swimming and running technique, I wanted to do a personal best. And guess what? I actually won my age group, by a nice margin of eight minutes. Before this day I had never done better than fifth. In fact, I got fifth almost every time, no matter how much I trained or how little. I could never punch through to a higher finish. Now maybe the four faster women just didn't show up that day, but it still felt nice to win, after three years of triathlon training and competing. But not to say I was THE winner; my daughter mistakenly thought that's what I meant and said, "Mommy should go in the Olympics," to which my husband said, "More like the Senior Olympics." I laughed. They put up with the training, I have to put up with the teasing. In fact I was the 13th woman overall and my new goal is to be in the top 10. Let's face it: I may never get any younger, but I can get fitter, faster and keep on having fun, fun, fun.
The whirlwind started again shortly after the race when I drove straight to Kennedy airport to hop a flight to L.A., where SELF is hosting the premiere of Get Smart, to celebrate Anne Hathaway on the cover of our July issue, the reader's choice annual extravaganza. Anne is so sweet, so strong, so fit and so individual. I loved hearing her talk about how empowered she felt doing all her own kick-ass moves as Agent 99, and she insisted on showing us her skills in a studio in NYC after the cover shoot was in the bag. Plus she has battled the blues and hasn't always been as happy as she is now. I adored meeting her and seeing her evolve over the course of her career into that self-possessed and strong woman she is today.
On the plane the woman next to me was returning from the daytime Emmies and reading the Mehmet Oz/Michael Roizen bible, You: The Owner's Manual. She was talking about well-being and we got into a conversation about stress, and how it kills you. For me, stress (the good kind) is a motivator. Without a deadline I won't finish my work; without a triathlon I won't get into the pool and swim (my worst sport); without knowing I am giving a speech I won't put my freshest ideas down in paragragh form. I need stress and have learned to befriend it, but we all have our own idea of what the finish line means. For me, it's a vision of my arms up, hands in the air, like a V for victory. I want to move toward those moments, even if they come few and far between.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i like oxygen, it pumps me up to see women so strong.
Quote Reply