Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Triathlon Bike
Quote | Reply
Hello! I just started getting back into training for triathlons, my goal is to do a full Ironman. My history is I have completed two 70.3's and numerous other shorter distance triathlons. I have been out of the game for a while but my base is solid. I know an Ironman is QUITE the EXTREME goal but a girl can dream. I need help I currently have an old 2005 Trek road bike that was low end when I bought it. I want to invest in a beginner triathlon bike approx. $3,000. I do not know where to begin and I know nothing about where to start. The more I research the more I get overwhelmed. I know I need to go into some bike shops and start looking at bikes and asking questions. But some advice would be greatly appreciated. I do not have any bike shops close by so I will need to travel an hour or two to get to some. I live in Southern California and want to have an idea of what to look for and ask before I start. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: First Triathlon Bike [EHiggs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome. you came to the right place. how tall are you?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: First Triathlon Bike [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello. I am 5'4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good place for bike reviews is ROAD BIKE REVIEW

if it were me and money mattered, I’d buy a good road bike. If money doesn’t matter, I’d buy a good road bike and an OK tri bike. My view is that I would (and certainly did) get much more return on the road bike spend.

Also, you can search on the triathlon forum page as there have been many postings on road v triathlon. Bikes.

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
welcome to the forum

Keep the road bike, but get a Bike Fit done for the tri bike. Will save you time and discomfort in the long run.
With your experience and IM goal I wouldn't get another road bike.

There are a ton of awesome Bike Fitters in SoCal...check the Fitter list here or let us know what city you are in?

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply