Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Race Tomorrow
Quote | Reply
Hi Girls,
I am doing my first multi-sport race tomorrow, the Orange County Duathlon. Whew! I am looking forward to the challenge but am of course nervous. Do you all have any advice, or things I should think about out there? I am new to transitions, and running after biking. I am sure I will learn a lot out there! Anyhow, I would appreciate your insight and any experiences that you think may help me.
Mtngirl
Quote Reply
Re: First Race Tomorrow [mtngirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck tomorrow mtngirl! Make sure you have all your stuff packed, then check again, and again. Nothing like forgetting your racing shoes to piss you off.

My opinion for your first race is HAVE FUN!!! Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the atmosphere. Race your race and not anyone else's. Your legs are going to feel mighty funny after biking, but just keep them moving and they'll recover. Not sure of the length of the race, but keep your nutrition and hydration in mind. Du's are a lot of fun... I think you'll really enjoy it, and then you'll get hooked on multisport!

I look forward to a race report!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure to give your bike a short spin/ride morning of, or night before, just to make sure every thing's in order and working well.

Edit: Oh since this will be your first off the bike run, start slow and easy. It will feel like sh*t, don't think about your legs or your speed, just focus on your breathing and get into a rhythm. After the first mile, your legs will loosen up. Then you can put the gas on ;-)

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: Mar 7, 08 9:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have fun and talk to people! I met one of my best training partners when i was living in Houston at my first race. She was setting up in transition right next to me, and I clearly looked clueless. We got to talking and ended up great friends!

Let us know how it goes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome!

For most of my races I'll lay out everything I need the night before. In fact, this is a good reminder as I'm doing a du on Sunday!

The night before I like to lay out piles for warm up, first run, bike, second run, post-race and I'll pack it the morning of so I can double check at the last minute. For my first race I actually did the transitions in my living room (after carefully ensuring my roommate was out) and changed into the items for each leg - that might be overdoing it a bit!

As to the race itself, I'd suggest you give yourself lots of time to set up before the race. Walk through transition and figure out where you will be coming in from your first run and where you'll be heading out for the second. Find landmarks to make it easier to find your bike rack.

Take your time to warm up, this is not just good for preventing injury but also helps with pre-race jitters.

Don't go out too fast on the first run, be a bit conservative and save for the second run. Be prepared for your legs to feel less than spectacular at the start of the second run, this is normal.

After the race update us as to how it went.

Finally, have fun, you're guaranteed an PR so enjoy yourself!

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck, have fun and give us a report after!

I like to make a master list and keep it. Go through in your mind from when you first get up and out the door to each leg of the event. What do you need--write it down. Don't forget post-race. Change of clothes, a snack, sandals, etc.

The other thing I do is to do a reverse timeline and write it all down so I'm not rushing out the door in the morning. Race start, be at the TA, how long to drive and park, what time to leave the house, what time to pack the car, breakfast, alarm.

You'll do great!
clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll echo what others have said and say HAVE FUN! And remember, any stupid mistakes you might make will be hilarious stories later, so don't sweat the minor mishaps.

Good luck and post a race report and let us know how it went!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: First Race Tomorrow [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the tips. You are all making me excited and happy for deciding to give this a shot. Thanks! I will let you know how it goes:-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good ideas from the other womens. Good luck and have fun!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How'd the race go?
Quote Reply
First Race Tomorrow...How it Went [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It went pretty well. I had a great bike, and a decent first run. But I have never done a run following a bike. I guess I need to do this in training. I slowed down a lot on the second run. And today I am so sore. I feel like someone beat me in the quads! Is this normal??? If I train more for the second run, will this cut down on next day soreness? I am so sore that I groan like an old lady when I sit down and stand up, seriously. The soreness aside, I loved racing and can't wait to do another one!
Quote Reply
Re: First Race Tomorrow...How it Went [mtngirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still get sore after longer races HIM and IM. The shorter races not so much. Yes it's normal and it may take a couple of days for the sorness to go away. I was hooked too after my first race!! Congrats!
Quote Reply
Re: First Race Tomorrow...How it Went [mtngirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work! Glad you enjoyed it and are ready to come back for more.

Sore is normal, especially for your first try, so no worries. Likely the more you race and train the less you'll hurt after races. It will definitely help if you run after cycling in your training.

I find that ice baths help too - they're horrible in the short term but make your recovery way faster and less painful. After a race or hard workout immerse your legs in icy cold water for 8-10 minutes, this helps get out the lactic acid that's built up (I'm sure there are other science-y reasons, I just know it works for me so I do it).
Quote Reply